GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by tesni, Mar 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moll

Moll Well-Known Member

Telegraph (catching up with the Twitter post of about half an hour ago!)
    10:48am
    Couzens led from the dock

With that, Lord Justice Fulford retired to consider sentencing.

Wayne Couzens, head bowed and hands held together across his front, trudged out of the dock.

He will learn his fate at 11.30am.

2. infinit

infinit Well-Known Member

All about him. If he had remorse he'd muster the ability to lift his head up if asked by a member of the victim's family while they have to stand there and go through that ordeal.

3. misscandle

misscandle Active Member

Quite!

4. tedtink

tedtink Well-Known Member

Agree.
    P's me off!
    He did not, at any stage co-operate with the Police as far as I'm aware. IMO he still wants to keep ALL the sordid details to himself, to own them, to own the power over the MET with whom he had issue. Using SE as a tool against them.

That's not shame, that's control.

JMO

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    BB72, MerBeach, Neurotripsy and 14 others like this.
  5. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy Well-Known Member

sbm

'Appeared to be living a law-abiding life' is an interesting phrase. A defence lawyer would definitely appreciate the difference between that and 'living a law-abiding life'.

Is there more to come out?

6. Whitehall 1212

Whitehall 1212 Verified Law Enforcement and SAR (UK)

Hypothetical scenario - off-duty officer (English or Welsh Home Office Force) driving down road in his private vehicle on annual leave in England or Wales. He sees male being robbed at knifepoint, gets out of car gives chase as suspect runs off. Catches suspect and gets stabbed and is killed. At the time he is acting in his lawful duty as a police officer.

This could require evidence over whether the killer knew, suspected or ought to have known that the dead victim was a police officer. It hasn't been tested yet in a court. I hope it never is.

P.S. I say England and Wales and Home Office Force as I am unsure of the current ruling for non-Home Office forces (e.g. Civil Nuclear Constabulary, MOD Police etc), Scotland and Northern Ireland. I suspect there are no border or force issues for incidents where immediate detention can be justified. Otherwise it's best to watch, phone 999, provide updates and let the local lads and lasses deal with it.

7. badgersmythe

badgersmythe Well-Known Member

I don’t consider exposing himself to fast food workers a ‘law abiding life’. interested to see what else comes out after sentencing.

BB72, MerBeach, Kasmeer and 19 others like this.
  8. misscandle

misscandle Active Member

10:36am Couzens described as 'calm and friendly' by colleagues
    Jim Sturman QC said of Couzens, that "he appears to have been living a law-abiding life with a loving family".

He was described as colleagues in the police who knew him well as "calm and friendly".

He was also described by colleagues as ‘THE RAPIST’ … I understand the right to a fair trial but EUGH.

9. SmallNut

SmallNut Active Member

This is so obviously untrue as showing his warrant card was part of his method - once a victim had seen that they would be able to identify him if left alive. Poor Sarah.

KatieLH, Kasmeer, Mo Thuairim and 9 others like this.
  10. tedtink

Good point.

The IE that we know of and maybe the details of the 12 officers being investigated atm in relation to WC.

Mrs Snorkle and Sayrah like this.
  11. tedtink

I'm sure what he chatted about amongst colleagues wasn't just locker room chat, in order to have that alleged nick name.

JMO

12. Whitehall 1212

Whitehall 1212 Verified Law Enforcement and SAR (UK)

I do believe Lord Justice Fulford's Rhino skin meant none of Mr Sturman's oratory permeated his sensitive side.

13. misscandle

misscandle Active Member

Agreed! The MET have a lot to answer for. Police officers with nicknames like that ought to be investigated.

14. LeopardLeotard

LeopardLeotard Well-Known Member

Now we wait.
    I have been off here for a while, i have dipped in and out periodically and have caught up with threads
    This has really upset me, from the chaos and bewilderment at the beginning when it became apparent of what was unfolding before my eyes, to being quite terrified and a little vulnerable at my locality to this beast. I became slightly paranoid, i truly think there were press on here at some point and as i had shared quite a lot i became a little spooked, and as the investigation turned away from his home and family i felt i had little left to offer re updates etc, however this matters not now.
    I have to say the details that we now have are shocking. Poor, poor Sarah, this man completely destroyed her. If he doesn't get a life sentence then i just dont know how they can justify that. Her families impact statements made me cry, how utterly soul crushing they were to read, unimaginably painful to them.

BB72, ElyBUK, CSBR and 37 others like this.
  15. infinit

infinit Well-Known Member

It's easy with hindsight but at the time he'd have been far more justified in taking his employer to an employment tribunal or opening a HR case than they would in investigating him because other employees were calling him a rapist without a case.

16. tedtink

Glad to see you back. :)
    I was thinking about you yesterday.
    Quite understandable how all this made you feel so exposed.
    It's nearly over for us - But, sadly, never will be for those close to SE.

ElyBUK, Audiohoney, Flurries and 9 others like this.
  17. Parmalade

Parmalade Well-Known Member

Plus the purchase of the carpet film minutes after the hiring of the Crossland.

ETA: unless this was to cover the rear of the car for the rape. The other items used in the disposal (petrol, builders bags) were purchased afterwards. So there is a chance that he decided later to cover up the rape by so brutally murdering her and then attempting to dispose of the evidence.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  18. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy Well-Known Member

Totally understandable that you'd be spooked, on so many levels. Nice to see you back LL. Your updates at the time were very appreciated.

19. Tullyjune

Tullyjune Well-Known Member

I remember your updates on the day they arrested WC. You must have been really shaken at living so close to all that was occurring. I hope once today is over you get some closure and that your enjoyment of your home isn’t affected.

ElyBUK, Flurries, Newthoughts and 8 others like this.
  20. SpursGyal

SpursGyal Well-Known Member

@LeopardLeotard I have thought of you as the details were unfolding, I hope your ok.

Now we know why they asked if she was seen at the house, I don’t think at the time we imagined she was alive when she was brought to Deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.