UK UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The delay in reporting her missing could have been related to several factors. Maybe her friends wrongly thought they would have to wait 24hours to report her missing, I believe this is no longer the case.

It could also be that she had plans for the following day that she told her friend about, the one she was visiting, so maybe for her to go off radar for the following day may have been expected and they only really became concerned when she still wasn't back by that afternoon/evening.

I know from personal experience when a friend of mine went missing by the time we realised, we waited for a good few hours before contacting the police and that was with very genuine reason, the same could apply to this situation although the circumstances were very very different.

I agree, people have busy lives. I'm notorious for not messaging my friends back straight away ...very often its a few days later. If Sarah lived alone it would also add to the time in which it was noticed that Sarah was missing.

Exactly my point. Although the point of a message to say you’re home is for people to know that you are safe I don’t think it completely implausible that the immediate assumption is a dead battery or simply she forgot to send the message than to jump to the conclusion immediately that she has been attacked and hasn’t made it home.
Completely understand although not ideal that the realization she was missing would unfold over the course of the next day ...

Police searching for Sarah Everard appeal for dash cam and doorbell footage from residents in Clapham Common, Cavendish Rd, New Park Rd, Brixton Hill, Brixton Water Lane.

In an urban setting dashcam, bike helmet cams and doorbell cams are pretty common. I have some hope that the police will be able to access more images of Sarah which will allow them to create an accurate timeline.

Exactly my point. Although the point of a message to say you’re home is for people to know that you are safe I don’t think it completely implausible that the immediate assumption is a dead battery or simply she forgot to send the message than to jump to the conclusion immediately that she has been attacked and hasn’t made it home.
Completely understand although not ideal that the realization she was missing would unfold over the course of the next day ...
If I don’t get that I’m safe at home text within an expected timeframe. I’m 100% calling 999 and I’m not sleeping until I know all is well.

I don't question the 'delay' in reporting at all and I don't really think it's a delay.

You haven't heard from someone one evening, you don't automatically assume something bad has happened to them. You'd consider more everyday reasons first. Perhaps they fell asleep and forgot to send the 'I'm home' text (I've done it). I certainly wouldn't be calling the police that same evening.

Friends probably would have spent the day trying to get hold of her but couldn't - worrying. It was a work day for them so perhaps headed over to her flat after they finished work. She's not there - very worrying. Then the call is made.

I'm still struggling with the idea that out of all the options she had in making her way home that night, she chose to take a long walk through areas that are not very safe. Does that say something about her circumstances or state of mind that would make her more vlunerable?

Having read everyone's posts on this thread, I totally get that people have different views about safety, and make different judgements according to context.

But personally speaking, having lived in London as a young woman - albeit 20 years ago - and having lived mainly in other big cities since, I did not and would not walk anywhere alone late at night, least of all in a less than safe area (if there is any such thing as a safe area for a woman alone in the dark).

As a friend, I have never, ever seen off another female friend from my house or anywhere else late at night and not asked her to call or text on her return home - even if she is driving her own car, getting a lift from another friend, or taking a taxi. Things can happen to women in cars and taxis!

And I have never been in a situation myself late at night where the friends/boyfriend/familiy member I was with did not check that I had returned home.

I am sure there must be a good reason why SE decided to do what she did, and also why it appears that her friends and boyfirend, who knew she was out alone, did not make enquiries about her until the next day (are we sure that the phone didn't just die? Perhaps they did try to contact her?), so I don't mean this post in any kind of judgemental way either to SE or to her loved ones.

It's more of a feeling that there are a few pieces of the jigsaw missing.

Yes, she may have felt that walking was more Covid safe than taking the bus or car. But it's still a big risk.

I suppose it depends what was normal between Sarah and her friends. If the walk from her friend's house was a frequent thing and something that her friends thought of as an unthreatening journey they might not expect a message to say she was home safely.

I'm still struggling with the idea that out of all the options she had in making her way home that night, she chose to take a long walk through areas that are not very safe. Does that say something about her circumstances or state of mind that would make her more vlunerable?

Having read everyone's posts on this thread, I totally get that people have different views about safety, and make different judgements according to context.

But personally speaking, having lived in London as a young woman - albeit 20 years ago - and having lived mainly in other big cities since, I did not and would not walk anywhere alone late at night, least of all in a less than safe area (if there is any such thing as a safe area for a woman alone in the dark).

As a friend, I have never, ever seen off another female friend from my house or anywhere else late at night and not asked her to call or text on her return home - even if she is driving her own car, getting a lift from another friend, or taking a taxi. Things can happen to women in cars and taxis!

And I have never been in a situation myself late at night where the friends/boyfriend/familiy member I was with did not check that I had returned home.

I am sure there must be a good reason why SE decided to do what she did, and also why it appears that her friends and boyfirend, who knew she was out alone, did not make enquiries about her until the next day (are we sure that the phone didn't just die? Perhaps they did try to contact her?), so I don't mean this post in any kind of judgemental way either to SE or to her loved ones.

It's more of a feeling that there are a few pieces of the jigsaw missing.

Yes, she may have felt that walking was more Covid safe than taking the bus or car. But it's still a big risk.

I don't think we should look into her reasons for walking too much personally. I'm 29 years old and live in London, I go for 2+ hour walks most evenings in the dark. I always walk rather than tube, bus, or Uber. I know it's silly but I see taking public transport as a lost opportunity to up my step count... she may have been similar.

I suppose it depends what was normal between Sarah and her friends. If the walk from her friend's house was a frequent thing and something that her friends thought of as an unthreatening journey they might not expect a message to say she was home safely.
Yes, possibly. Everyone seems to have their own experience and perceptions in this type of situation.

I don't think we should look into her reasons for walking too much personally. I'm 29 years old and live in London, I go for 2+ hour walks most evenings in the dark. I always walk rather than tube, bus, or Uber. I know it's silly but I see taking public transport as a lost opportunity to up my step count... she may have been similar.
Thanks; that's interesting. I haven't lived in London for a long time and I'm not up to date with what's going on and what people of Sarah's age do. So that's helful to know.

Search team member says 'nothing significant' found
A London rescue team has said that they’ve found “nothing significant” so far in their search for missing woman, Sarah Everard.

MyLondon spoke to a member of the London Search and Rescue team out on Clapham Common today (March 7) as they assist the Met Police in their hunt for 33-year-old Sarah.

A combination of volunteers and the police have ramped up the search for the woman, who went missing in the Clapham area on Wednesday night (March 3).

Updates as police continue hunt for missing woman who 'disappeared' in Clapham

Agreed my friend lives in London and is happy to travel around at night on her own. She's traveled around the world on her own, so she is quite confident ........i on the other hand will not even walk to my corner shop alone in the dark.

I think it’s important to stop calling Sarah a “girl”. She’s an adult woman of 33, and as such letting everyone know your every move just isn’t the same as it would be if she was a teenager like Libby or Leah.

I worked late shifts for years finishing between midnight and 3 in the morning, and walked home - it never occurred to me to ‘have’ to let anyone know I was home.

There's a Sainsburys local close to where I used to live on Kings Avenue, not too far from where you turn down to Clapham Park Road. The address is 2 Mullins Place which is a kind of lay by on Kings Avenue.
Google Maps
Could it be this one, though I think not, as the CCTV image shows a yellow line, but there is none here.
The cctv image of Sarah was from the Sainsbury's Local at 21 Balham Hill. Near Clapham South tube station. Google Maps

edited to add close up of the pavement tiles Google Maps

edited again to say this is a possibility not a definite, because it's the same pavement tile pattern at Brixton Hill Sainsbury's Local.

Last edited:
Search team member says 'nothing significant' found
A London rescue team has said that they’ve found “nothing significant” so far in their search for missing woman, Sarah Everard.

MyLondon spoke to a member of the London Search and Rescue team out on Clapham Common today (March 7) as they assist the Met Police in their hunt for 33-year-old Sarah.

A combination of volunteers and the police have ramped up the search for the woman, who went missing in the Clapham area on Wednesday night (March 3).

Updates as police continue hunt for missing woman who 'disappeared' in Clapham

Sounds like she's been abducted and taken somewhere else then if they've found nothing in the immediate area.

Agreed my friend lives in London and is happy to travel around at night on her own. She's traveled around the world on her own, so she is quite confident ........i on the other hand will not even walk to my corner shop alone in the dark.
OK this is all a learning curve for me! It seems that many women feel safe travelling around London at night.

I have lived in big cities all around the world for most of my adult life (late 40s now) including in 'dangerous' countries, so I'm also pretty fearless in character. But even in a 'safe' place I don't go out alone in the dark.

Each to his/her own I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member