Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, murdered, Saltburn, Dec 1992 *Arrests in 2020*

Discussion in '1990's Missing' started by StillDiggin, Sep 15, 2020.

1. hettywainthropp

hettywainthropp Active Member

Re the Documentary, to be shown on ITV Thursday 9pm. Ex-detective Mark Williams-Thomas, who is leading the documentary, appeared alongside the Clarks on the show and called the case "bizarre." + said "But what we do show is the evidence the police have got in relation to Charles and Doris and people can make up their own minds on how strong that evidence is" .

elliefant and Alyce like this.

2. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

Apparently Mark W.T thinks the Clarks are not involved in Steven's disappearance. Be interesting to see if they approached him to make the documentary or he volunteered to do it.

3. forthelost

forthelost I hear the angels call my name and I am Winterborn

I do find it odd most of the initial stories didn't mention a girlfriend and it is just coming up now.

Fidobell and shiraz like this.
  4. shiraz

shiraz Member

It's also odd that Steven left his glasses, watch and wallet at home. Whilst he may not have needed them for the walk, he surely would have for leaving home and going off somewhere a few days later as implied by MWT.

5. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

6. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

Am just adding a few snips from this article -

Time served in police force

After the Clarks left the police in the late Sixties (Doris had served ten years as a WPC;
    Charles served five and reached the rank of sergeant before quitting to set up a car rental business)

On their return to the UK, they bought a house in their native North East

I thought they inherited the family house ?

Most weekends, Steven went with his father to watch their football team, Middlesbrough, play. This Saturday he did not.

‘Charles had said it was about time Steven paid for his own ticket. Steven, being tight, wouldn’t. He decided not to go. We regret that now.’

So as Charles headed to the match, Steven and his mum went for a walk along the beach to neighbouring Saltburn, about two miles away. ‘

Saturday or Monday ?

Accused Of Murdering Our Son - The Steven Clark Story: Mother in tears on ITV documentary | Daily Mail Online

7. AtticusPip

AtticusPip Member

Middlesbrough played Crystal Palace at home - it was a Monday game - the game kicked off at 3pm

Legally Bland, Skigh and Alyce like this.
  8. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

9. Inspector Evans

Inspector Evans Well-Known Member

She didn't have to go in, could've just shouted his name from outside and waited for a response.

As embarassing as it is for a young male, many times I'd go into a changing room to try something at age 16-17, take my time and my mum would be waiting outside and eventually shout "are you o.k in there" to basically tell me to hurry up!

Bizarre behaviour from her that day to seemingly walk off imo thinking he'd gone home! Anyway interesting to watch tonight's programme which will bring case more to nation's attention and see what comes of it. Perhaps a memory or two will be jogged.

tesni, Thelastleg, Alyce and 3 others like this.
  10. Struth

Struth New Member

Stevens Father "Every year the police would come round appear and say How's Steven and where is he and all the rest of it" I find this a very strange thing to say?

11. hettywainthropp

hettywainthropp Active Member

12. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

Interesting because surely yes, but I can see the logic in public loos being closed during winter.

13. Inspector Evans

His Mum again mentioning two males with a young child by the toilets when Steven went in, did they ever come forward?

If they even exist.

Struth, elliefant, Alyce and 2 others like this.
  14. Inspector Evans

Talking about the letter now, both parents named in letter sent in 1999 from mystery person.

15. Inspector Evans

Mark Williams Thomas ruling out suicide. Just interviewed a former coast guard in the area. Said it's a small community where everyone knows each other's business so found it a bit incredulous he could just disappear off face of the earth just like that.

16. Inspector Evans

Two sightings, seen with older man a few days after 28th Dec and another walking towards Redcar town centre in Jan 1993.

Second sighting, man who saw him is no longer alive and changed his account in 1999 from going up and talking to Steven (didn't realise at that stage he was registered missing) to seeing him from the back from distance of 50 yards.

Struth, elliefant, Alyce and 2 others like this.
  17. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

Bizarre how that second account changed so drastically I thought

18. Inspector Evans

How the hell does the new sighting support the parents, he was yards from his home!!!! If true...

This show isn't great for the parents imho in terms of public opinion...

Fidobell, shiraz, Struth and 3 others like this.
  19. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

And interesting that the letter was also sent in 1999, the same year that the second sighting ( man ) changed his story from direct chat to seeing Steven from a distance.

20. Skigh

Skigh Well-Known Member

I think that people watching the programme will be fooled by Doris's acting and feel sorry for the parents. MWT is trying to gain sympathy for them.

Fidobell, shiraz, Struth and 4 others like this.