Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, murdered, Saltburn, Dec 1992 *Arrests in 2020*

Discussion in '1990's Missing' started by StillDiggin, Sep 15, 2020.

1. crazychris

crazychris Well-Known Member

If they did kill him, which I think's unlikely, where's the body? He was a big lad. They were both ex-cops so would have some knowledge of police procedure. They weren't daft enough to hide it in the garden or the house. Maybe miles away but that would mean them carrying him. Unless sister helped. Dad's a biggish guy but not Doris. Are there any lakes near there and have the police ever sent divers in?

I still think he was led away from the toilets whilst his mum was still inside. Then who knows.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    MajorHoople likes this.

2. MsMiniSleuth

MsMiniSleuth Well-Known Member

Doris alleges there were two men and s child outside the gents toilets at same time she and Steven were there. Each male going in separately as one waited outside with youngster. Now surely at least one of these adults, or even the child depending on age, would have seen her at least, if not him? Were these never found and spoken to?

3. shiraz

shiraz Member

I'm not sure the walk actually happened and I would have thought that if Steven had planned to leave home then he wouldn't have left his wallet, watch and glasses behind.

elliefant, Viewer, Brit1chick and 8 others like this.
  4. crazychris

I don't think he planned to leave home at all.

5. hettywainthropp

hettywainthropp Active Member

Steven was allegedly seen near The Ship pub in Marske heading towards his home. It was not the Ship Inn at Saltburn.

6. Alyce

Alyce Well-Known Member

This is a photo of Charles Clark, taken in October 1993 ( Charles age 51 )

[​IMG]

link for photo

Elderly parents of 23-year-old who disappeared in 1992 to police station | Daily Mail Online

elliefant and Legally Bland like this.
  7. shiraz

shiraz Member

Someone else posted this and I realise now that if the sighting was genuine it couldn't have been him. The police seem to think that the girl wouldn't have been able to see at all clearly as her window was a long way from the street and it was dark. IMO I don't think it was a genuine sighting.

8. Inspector Evans

Inspector Evans Well-Known Member

Remote hope in those times I'm afraid. If there were it would be useful if Charles Clark had been spotted driving out at Marske between half 1-2 on that day to go to the Boro game so at least you feel very confident his alibi on that day stands up.

CrackerC119 and Brit1chick like this.
  9. Inspector Evans

Inspector Evans Well-Known Member

Same you could ask of whoever else did it if you don't suspect the parents.

Whatever happened it was well planned out with him no closer to being found 30 years later.

10. Kitkat28

Kitkat28 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I don’t think they ever went for that walk. I find it bizarre that in a place where presumably people knew each other, and a man like Steven would have been fairly distinctive, people didn’t come forward and say “oh yes I saw them here or there or wherever”. I don’t believe they were the only people out walking that day between their house and the toilets. Surely the men with the little girl would have recognised themselves at some point over the last 30 years.

I don’t think Steven left the house that day at all. I’m not convinced he was even still in the house by that point.

As for the “anonymous” letter, let’s just say I think the mis-spelling on the envelope was done on purpose, and the police know exactly who wrote it.

All MOO JMO

11. Streetspirit

Streetspirit Active Member

the police do know who wrote it. She came forward and said she didn’t know the Clark’s or Steven but that she wrote it on “good faith”.

not sure what that means exactly but I assumed she had heard rumours, as has everyone around here, and she wrote it based off that.

Kasmeer, Funky funky, shiraz and 2 others like this.
  12. Viewer

Viewer New Member

I think murder is quite unlikely, but manslaughter, or an accidental death, in a struggle, which has then been concealed, strikes me as very plausible.

13. Kitkat28

Does that ever really happen though? It’s often theorised on here that “maybe the victim was killed accidentally” but can anyone actually remember a single case where that was the outcome?

14. crazychris

No, to be honest I can't.

15. Morag

Morag Well-Known Member

He had a girlfriend. The parents didn’t seem to approve. He was ‘tight’ in that he wouldn’t pay for his own ticket (despite his having been awarded £1000, which he hadn’t picked up). Perhaps he was saving his money for a move out of his home. Perhaps the payout from his childhood accident was meant to have been held in trust until he was 21, but perhaps it hadn’t been.
    That was a point at which a major family disagreement could have ensued.

Lyanna and shiraz like this.
  16. CrackerC119

CrackerC119 Member

I've looked at the houses on that street and they are set back quite far from the street. It's just, I find it hard to believe someone could mistake Steven's unique walk. She also seemed to have been looking long enough to notice that the potential Steven appeared to be trying to catch up with the man. I'm thinking she saw someone who looked like Steven and went to the window for a closer look.

MajorHoople likes this.
  17. Kitkat28

I’m interested in why this supposed “girlfriend” wasn’t mentioned at the time. Where has the idea come from? It seems to be a fairly new thing.

MajorHoople likes this.
  18. Morag

Morag Well-Known Member

Here’s at least one story mentioning the girlfriend, and somewhere on the thread, there’s a story about Steven having met her parents.
    Missing man 'on his way to parents suspected of killing him he vanished'
    If the Clarks had moved to Marske only recently (within the last year), I wonder if the girl lived in the previous town? Maybe Steven was unhappy with the move.
    And the garage on the Clark house would have meant that their car could be loaded without being overlooked. Mr. Clark’s drive back from the game would have been in the dark, and there could have been spots along the way...

Inspector Evans and shiraz like this.
  19. Kitkat28

Oh I know it’s been mentioned here, but it seems to have been a very recent addition to the original story. If you go back even to the beginning of this thread, news reports don’t seem to have included anything about a girlfriend, unless I just missed it.

MajorHoople and Niner like this.
  20. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

In the article shared by Morag, it says the cold case review team established he had a girlfriend. So possibly it wasnt known during the original investigation (which seems hard to believe you would think).

21. Viewer

Viewer New Member

It is in fact quite a common plea, for example, where H has hit or strangled W in a domestic quarrel and then panicked and hidden the body. There have been many such cases.

Inspector Evans and Thelastleg like this.