Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

Another thought on this letter: The police seem to intimate that the author could have been very close to Steven/his family. Wouldn't it be likely that the parents would immediately recognize the handwriting? Perhaps this is why this avenue wasn't pursued earlier (making the letter public) but what are the implications for the author at this point?

Hmmm.

They spelled his name wrong though. Intentional? Or just not that close... could be a neighbour or colleague who would know the family well enough by name but perhaps not in writing, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
They spelled his name wrong though. Intentional? Or just not that close... could be a neighbour or colleague who would know the family well enough by name but perhaps not in writing, if that makes sense.
In my experience lots of family members spell other family members names wrong, especially when there’s more than one legitimate spelling like with Steven/Stephen. Not parents or siblings but anyone beyond that and it seems normal to me, especially as I have one of those names. People just write the version they are most familiar with, without thinking.

In my experience lots of family members spell other family members names wrong, especially when there’s more than one legitimate spelling like with Steven/Stephen. Not parents or siblings but anyone beyond that and it seems normal to me, especially as I have one of those names. People just write the version they are most familiar with, without thinking.
Not that I have heard this, but I wondered if he was known as "Steve". So Christmas cards and so on might not have the full spelling.

Not sure why, but my immediate thought upon seeing the handwriting (and maybe verbiage?) is that a man wrote it.

Also, please forgive my memory lapse, but can anyone refresh my memory as to why the police didn't pursue the parents more based on this anonymous letter before? Or, if they sought help from the public in trying to identify the author as they are now?

TIA!

I haven’t seen any info re what action the police took when they received the letter. All I have read is that it was put onto the file.

Interesting that the current investigation believe it is worth pursuing -

Just adding small tidbits and photos so people do not have to click on links, plus in case links time out in the future. Certain parts bolded by me for importance.
===
Mysterious letter names 'killer' of man who vanished without trace 28 years ago

0_JS219621653.jpg
0_JS222776788.jpg

(click on images to enlarge)

Police investigating the disappearance of Steven Clark hope the distinctive handwriting will identify the sender as the letter is published for the first time today
---
Police investigating the disappearance of Steven Clark hope the distinctive handwriting will identify the sender.

They say the writer may be well educated and seems to have exact details about Steven, who vanished, aged 23, on December 28, 1992, in Saltburn, North Yorks.
---
Police believe the anonymous letter writer giving information about what may have happened to Steven could prove to be a key witness.

Det Chief Insp Shaun Page said: “I believe the person who wrote the letter knew Steven was dead, and claims to know the person responsible. It is very precise so is one of the key lines of inquiry in this investigation.

“We don’t know if the writer is a man or a woman.”
---
He said: “If anyone recognises the handwriting, we would urge them to get in touch.

“The terms used and style of writing could suggest this was a well-educated person. They were trying to help.”
---
Steven had just won an Apprentice of the Year Award from the Rathbone Society, which supports young people with physical and learning difficulties. But he had not collected the £1,000 cash prize which went with it.

Mr Page said: “We know that he was at a good stage in his life socially. He was in a new relationship, and happy.
---
He said: “The family had lived in South Africa for many years, he [Steven] returned when he was around 20.

“Due to the political situation in South Africa at that time. Steven was enjoying a lot more freedom in his new life here – he was going to the pub and had a good social life.”

Mysterious letter names 'killer' of man who vanished without trace 28 years ago

From the start I have very much doubt about any involvement of his parents in Steven's disappearance. Very bad truck record and shady history of that police force for many years which can be seen even till few years back does not convince me at all that they have it suddenly right.

Of course this is just my own feeling, based on no facts.

The only reason why I think police are zooming in on the parents, might be that letter from 1999, as they have absolutely nothing else... but...

Also as seen in many other crime cases where anonymous letters have been sent, they have been usually sent by people/person who was involved and tried to distort the facts or point to police to someone else than themselves.

Also, I was not aware that both Steven parents were ex- police officers. So, if I understand correctly, they have all arived to UK only 3 years prior to Steven disappearance and were themselves working for police when he went missing? Anyone know how many years ago approx, or when did they retire from police?

Whoever sent that anonymous letter would have been probably also aware that parents were police officers at that time.

Was the letter sent to the same police force where they worked or somewhere else? Anyone knows?

Just thinking... If Steven was murdered by someone who knew him well, wouldn't it be smarter to wait till he claimed his £1000, then take that cash from him?

MOO and speculation

Just thinking... If Steven was murdered by someone who knew him well, wouldn't it be smarter to wait till he claimed his £1000, then take that cash from him?

MOO and speculation

So, maybe can nail this down to: Someone who either didn't know about the reward or to whom the cash wouldn't mean much. Parents would likely know about it, but I can see close friends neighbors might not, or at least might not yet have known.

For parents, though, I don't think the cash would be an issue. Could have been rage so spur of the moment, or if planned, the money would be the least of their worries. Their overriding worries would be planning to avoid being caught.

Okay, not sure that really "nails down" much!

DCI Page also said:

There have been a number of twists and turns since we started to reinvestigate this cold case and this latest development marks another significant moment which has included new sightings of Steven on the day of his murder and a wealth of new material being uncovered. The investigation is moving forward, we continue to urge anyone with any information to contact us.

DCI Shaun Page, Cleveland Police
He added:

We believe that Steven was alive on 28th December between 3pm and 4pm in close proximity to his home address. We have carried out a number of searches in the Marske area and these will be continuing. A lot of people knew Steven and I would again appeal for people to come forward with any information, no matter how small or insignificant they think it is.

DCI Shaun Page, Cleveland Page
'Significant development' in case dating back to 1992 | ITV News

DCI Page also said:

There have been a number of twists and turns since we started to reinvestigate this cold case and this latest development marks another significant moment which has included new sightings of Steven on the day of his murder and a wealth of new material being uncovered. The investigation is moving forward, we continue to urge anyone with any information to contact us.

DCI Shaun Page, Cleveland Police
He added:

We believe that Steven was alive on 28th December between 3pm and 4pm in close proximity to his home address. We have carried out a number of searches in the Marske area and these will be continuing. A lot of people knew Steven and I would again appeal for people to come forward with any information, no matter how small or insignificant they think it is.

DCI Shaun Page, Cleveland Page
'Significant development' in case dating back to 1992 | ITV News

which has included new sightings of Steven on the day of his murder

So they are sure he was murdered on that day then. I really hope this is going to lead to Steven being recovered and a resolution after so long. JMO

"So they are sure he was murdered on that day then. I really hope this is going to lead to Steven being recovered and a resolution after so long."

I don't think they know he was murdered on that day. I don't think they are even sure he was murdered at all. What evidence do you think they have to support those two assertions?

DCI Page also said:

There have been a number of twists and turns since we started to reinvestigate this cold case and this latest development marks another significant moment which has included new sightings of Steven on the day of his murder

For the police to use the word murder in their statement,I would say they are pretty sure that is what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back