UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 Jul 1986 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a quick look at Google there seems to be nothing on this series of rapes apart from the paragraph in Wikipedia, in the page on JC, whose only sourcing is a documentary about SJL (that I have not seen and so can't evaluate, in other words I don't know what the sourcing in the documentary is. Always look at the primary source, i.e. where the actual source information came from. Who made the claims about the series of rapes? Was this a well known set of cases at the time and where is the evidence that the police believed them to be linked? What geographical area were they carried out in).

Without further detail in the form of newspaper reports that discuss the cases and explain why they are thought to be linked, all this seems to be a bit of an urban myth.

On serial rapists--if you want to read about how hard they are to capture then I would really recommend the Night Stalker book about the horrific serial rapist who targeted very elderly women--and men.

UK Night Stalker.....horrific

UK Night Stalker.....horrific

The book is by Colin Sutton. I recommend it, although it is very upsetting to read about the horrible crimes, the investigation that led to the capture and imprisonment of this disgusting excuse for a human being is really interesting. It shows how much is involved and how much persistence and smart thinking is needed. I thought Sutton expressed himself well. Never seen his TV stuff as I'm not a big TV watcher, so no idea how he comes across on there.

The book is by Colin Sutton. I recommend it, although it is very upsetting to read about the horrible crimes, the investigation that led to the capture and imprisonment of this disgusting excuse for a human being is really interesting. It shows how much is involved and how much persistence and smart thinking is needed. I thought Sutton expressed himself well. Never seen his TV stuff as I'm not a big TV watcher, so no idea how he comes across on there.

DCI Sutton was also the SIO who snared Levi Belfield for 3 shocking murders and 1 attempted murder. Crimes that had a personal note. Top class detective.

DCI Sutton was also the SIO who snared Levi Belfield for 3 shocking murders and 1 attempted murder. Crimes that had a personal note. Top class detective.
DCI Sutton treated the rapes as robberies and flooded the crime area with officers until he was caught in the act

He wrote about that too, also worth a read. The amount of work that went into nailing Bellfield was astonishing.

DCI Sutton treated the rapes as robberies and flooded the crime area with officers until he was caught in the act

<modsnip - personalizing>

2000 hours of CCTV studied

26,000 vehicles eliminated

Belfield was identified with the help of a vital witness.

** Surveillance Officers 'housed' Belfield at home and kept obs. Arrest operation at his West Drayton home followed and found to be hiding in the loft.....NOT in the commission of a crime **

DCI Sutton of the Met AMIP was only investigating the murder of Amelie Delagrange. The murder of Marcia McDonnell had not been formerly linked at the time.

Surrey police were investigating the murder of Milly Dowler.

Belfield was arrested three months after Amelie's murder.

Officers were not actively waiting for Belfield to be caught in the act. This kind of trap is never sanctioned for such offences as it is far too much of a risk to the public.

Uniformed officers including traffic officers were posted at key locations to identify vehicles of the same make, model and colour that the a suspect had be identified as driving and to stop it on sight, under the guise of a routine vehicle stop, check all details and await instructions from the investigation team.

So a great deal of painstaking police work.....far more than I have listed was how Belfield was caught.....certainly not some crazy, risky plan to let a viscious murderer run and hopefully catch him doing it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really helps if you are acquainted with the facts of the case rather than making embarrassing statements.

2000 hours of CCTV studied

26,000 vehicles eliminated

Belfield was identified with the help of a vital witness.

** Surveillance Officers 'housed' Belfield at home and kept obs. Arrest operation at his West Drayton home followed and found to be hiding in the loft.....NOT in the commission of a crime **

DCI Sutton of the Met AMIP was only investigating the murder of Amelie Delagrange. The murder of Marcia McDonnell had not been formerly linked at the time.

Surrey police were investigating the murder of Milly Dowler.

Belfield was arrested three months after Amelie's murder.

Officers were not actively waiting for Belfield to be caught in the act. This kind of trap is never sanctioned for such offences as it is far too much of a risk to the public.

Uniformed officers including traffic officers were posted at key locations to identify vehicles of the same make, model and colour that the a suspect had be identified as driving and to stop it on sight, under the guise of a routine vehicle stop, check all details and await instructions from the investigation team.

So a great deal of painstaking police work.....far more than I have listed was how Belfield was caught.....certainly not some crazy, risky plan to let a viscious murderer run and hopefully catch him doing it again.
I was referring to the Nightstalker, my post was written after that

I was referring to the Nightstalker, my post was written after that

Crimes that are recorded as rape are not treated as robbery.

In these offences if rape had occurred it is most likely crimed as rape and aggravated burglary.

If no rape had occurred then it would be crimed as burglary w/i to commit rape or aggravated burglary, depending on the precise circumstances.

Other offences may have been committed and recorded.

DCI Sutton flooded the prevalent offence area with surveillance officers at strategic locations to watch for the vehicle that had been identified as possibly being used by the offender....just a make, model, colour....no registration.

It was identified from bus CCTV as being in the area when a previous victims stolen cash card was being used to withdraw cash.

This is most definitely not the same as deliberately waiting for the offender to strike and catch them in the act.

Such loose comments need correcting because sacrificing victims to such shocking crimes is most certainly NOT what the police do.

Last edited:
There were a couple of very good dramas with Martin Clunes as Sutton that showed the police work in these cases. Well worth a watch.

Well sort of but not exactly, though, being caught in the act suggests he was allowed to rape a pensioner and then police burst in mid horrific assault. And flooding an area with officers suggests there were loads of uniformed cops walking up and down. They used extensive surveillance, so no visible officers. They didn't have an ID of the rapist so they had to try to see if they could spot someone in the area he targeted who fitted certain things they knew were connected to him. They were not trying to get a specific suspect to offend so as to catch him at it.

Anyway, whatevs, it's offtopic anyway, my apologies for that. Let's drop it as it doesn't have bearing on SJL's case, my bad for bringing up the cases :)

So moving on, and back o/t I will have to watch the documentary on SJL to see how they present the house viewing rapes, because it is really odd that there is nothing else immediately out there on what was quite an extensive set of crimes. Maybe just because of when it all happened, and no one reported it as a coherent set of crimes by a single serial rapist, but individual crimes were reported? The shame and horrible attitude towards rape back then might have affected that? ANyone who has seen it, what is it like? Anything worth noting in there?

I will have to watch the documentary on SJL
There must be at least a half a dozen docs on the SL Mystery, it probably goes without saying if you are interested in the case you'd watch them all. Some are probably hard to find now though ...

Unfortunately the docs all parrot the official police line that JC did it, and spend considerable time focusing on him. As someone else said, that was prob a prerequisite for police co-operation, detective interviews etc in making the programmes ....

There must be at least a half a dozen docs on the SL Mystery, it probably goes without saying if you are interested in the case you'd watch them all. Some are probably hard to find now though ...

I think the sources given in Wikipedia for mention of the house viewing rapes are the last two you posted.
(correction - not the last link, but the two before that)

Real Life Media Productions (2002). The Man Who Killed Suzy Lamplugh? (Television documentary). Channel 5
Real Crime: Suzy Lamplugh. ITV (Television production). 12 September 2001

There are suggestions in some of these documentaries that JC may confess to Suzy's murder after his mother dies.
If she's still alive, she is or is about to be 100 years old. I can't see a death registration up to the end of 2020.

He could just be playing games of course.

I think his mother is dead
Do you have a source for that? I've been looking through newspaper reports but haven't found anything to say that she had died. Not that you can trust them - this 2018 Daily Mail article has her at 96 in the headline, but further down it says "It is believed his mother Sheila, thought to be in her 80s, now lives in a different part of the country."
Lamplugh suspect 'waiting for mother, 96, to die to talk to police'

Some snippets in this Sun article that I hadn't seen before

"An eyewitness saw a couple matching Suzy and Cannan’s descriptions lying in a local park with a bottle of bubbly beside them on the day she vanished."
"A cabbie identified Cannan as a man who asked for a lift that lunchtime, while clutching champagne and estate agent house papers."

Do you have a source for that? I've been looking through newspaper reports but haven't found anything to say that she had died. Not that you can trust them - this 2018 Daily Mail article has her at 96 in the headline, but further down it says "It is believed his mother Sheila, thought to be in her 80s, now lives in a different part of the country."
Lamplugh suspect 'waiting for mother, 96, to die to talk to police'

Some snippets in this Sun article that I hadn't seen before

"An eyewitness saw a couple matching Suzy and Cannan’s descriptions lying in a local park with a bottle of bubbly beside them on the day she vanished."
"A cabbie identified Cannan as a man who asked for a lift that lunchtime, while clutching champagne and estate agent house papers."
These sightings are of no value because they came in fourteen years after the fact and after 11 years of press and police speculation that Cannan dunnit. There is simply no way that you suddenly remember something with complete recall of the day, date and time fourteen years later, having forgotten it for fourteen years in between.

If you spent 11, 14 or 36 years telling the public JC kidnapped Shergar, you would be getting a trickle of witnesses who reported having seen JC acting suspiciously with a horse; of a horse buying champagne in local offies; of horses attempting to view houses then running away when approached by the husband with a lump of sugar; and so on. In fact, I am personally confident that the Mr Kipper sketch looks like Shergar - look at the nose and the mane.

I am also personally confident he looks like Lord Lucan. Now there's a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member