UK UK - Suzy Lamplugh, 25, Fulham, 28 July 1986

Status
Not open for further replies.
More today from the Daily Mail, including this snippet from Videcette:

However former Scotland Yard detective David Videcette said there was 'not a shred of evidence' linking the killer to the crime. He claims Suzy invented the client 'Mr Kipper' to run a personal errand and collect the diary and cheque book she had left in a pub the night before.

Mr Videcette, who spent five years researching a book called Finding Suzy, said: 'From speaking to former officers who worked on the two previous investigations, I have found that it is widely accepted within the police that there is no evidence to support John Cannan ever knowing Suzy Lamplugh or ever even meeting her.'

Family of Suzy Lamplugh want cops to quiz Suffolk Strangler over her 'murder' | Daily Mail Online

1. My memory has faded a bit over the years , however,
    I lived near Croydon when Suzy Lamplugh went missing. It was big news and all over the media.
    I can't remember how many days it was after when I noticed something.Maybe a few days?
    I was at Thornton Heath main bus terminal catching a bus back home to Addiscombe.
    A lot of people were waiting for buses
    There was a man and a woman waiting, and I was really drawn to them. Something wasn't quite right. They both were wearing smart clothes, but they looked dishevelled, liked they'd slept in their clothes/unwashed? Etc.
    The man and woman were 'good looking'. They seemed out of place at the bus terminal.
    They got on my bus. I was sat behind them a few rows back. The man had loads of newspapers on his lap. The woman angrily snapped at him saying 'stop looking at them'. The headlines were of Suzy Lamplugh.
    They got off a few stops before me. She seemed to be very annoyed and unhappy with the man, but followed him VERY closely, almost as if she were handcuffed or something? He was very surly.
    I can't explain it, but my instincts were telling me this was Suzy Lamplugh. I asked my bf if I should report what I'd seen but he said there's nothing to report so I didn't.
    Years later, I saw SW mentioned on Crimewatch, and a possible connection with Suzy Lamplugh. He didn't seem like the man I had seen. I started 'sleuthing' SW and found he had connections with the South London area. I rang the crimestoppers number, and they put me through to a detective connected to the Lamplugh case.
    I told him about what I'd seen, but he was very confident it was not SW, he said they knew 99% who Suzy,s suspect was, and he was in prison for other crimes. He didn't
    mention a name, but I researched and I'm pretty sure he meant JC. When I saw his photo it was more like the man I had seen, rather than SW.
    I bought a book about JC, and one thing that struck me was the fact that he always asked for newspapers to be brought to him. He was obsessed with them, seeming to take delight in seeing his name in the papers.
    It may not seem that I saw a lot, and maybe it was a random couple, but as I say, I had a very strong instinct when I saw them. I remember which bus stop they got off, very near a roughish pub. There was a lot of building/construction work being carried out next to the pub.
  • I just thought I'd put this out there. All MOO.
  • Has those areas (Thornton Heath/Addisombe/Croydon) ever been mentioned in any theories, does anyone know?
  • Sorry for long posting.

Last edited:
Thanks for this post Crusader - very interesting! I hope you can clear some points up for me, no worries if you can't!

1. Where did Videcette obtain his information from?

2. The phoning of the bank story differs from the one that was in the 2 part documentary that was shown last week. In that they stated that the landlord (they never mentioned 'acting') phoned the bank to say he had Suzy's things and they in turn phoned Suzy - there was no mention of Suzy making a call to the bank. Was it the bank who confirmed this?

3. Suzy's last call from the office was to the pub where she apparently spoke to the landlord's wife - was this the normal landlord's wife or the acting landlord's wife?

4. How long had the acting landlord been, er, acting landlord?

5. I haven't seen anywhere that says that Suzy went to the pub on Sunday night? From what I've read she went to Worthing with friends in the afternoon and on the evening went to visit her parents, then when she got home she phoned her boyfriend Adam to arrange to meet up on Tuesday. Surely she would have mentioned it to him if she had been to the pub?

TIA.

1. Videcette said he's viewed every book, video, newspaper clipping that he can source. Plus conducted 100 plus interviews with those connected to case.

2. From what I can ascertain via Stephens / Videcette, it was defo Suzy who rang the bank. She was distressed somewhat on the Monday morning mentioning the loss of her items to the Sturgis office secretary.

3. Good question! And I don't know the answer. My guess would be the (proper) landlord and his wife would have left on their leave by 12.30 ish, but conceivably it could have been her that Suzy spoke to.

4. The acting lordlord and his wife were being trained up by the proper landlord. It's unclear how long he worked in the Prince of Wales under supervision. That Monday however, appears to be first time the acting landlord had sole charge of the pub when the landlord was away on leave.

5. Do you know that Suzy and Adam had in fact broken up? Suzy had a new man in her life, a friend too of Adam. Whom she developed a relationship with when Adam was in Tenerife. She's pictured sitting on his knee in the last pic taken at a party on the Saturday night. I believe Suzy and Adam broke up on the Friday night.

Things are a tad confusing because by all accounts, Adam continued in his 'role' as Suzy's boyfriend re police press conferences etc after she disappeared.

Again reading the Stevens and Videcette books gives you a great insight in to this story.

Imo Canaan and Wright had nothing to do with this case.

I lived near Croydon when Suzy Lamplugh went missing. It was big news and all over the media.
    I can't remember how many days it was after when I noticed something.Maybe a few days?
    I was at Thornton Heath main bus terminal catching a bus back home to Addiscombe.
    There was a man and a woman waiting, and I was really drawn to them. Something wasn't quite right. They both were wearing smart clothes, but they looked dishevelled, liked they'd slept in their clothes/unwashed? Etc.
    The man and woman were 'good looking'. They seemed out of place at the bus terminal.
    They got on my bus. I was sat behind them a few rows back. The man had loads of newspapers on his lap. The woman angrily snapped at him saying 'stop looking at them'. The headlines were of Suzy Lamplugh.
    They got off a few stops before me. She seemed to be very annoyed and unhappy with the man, but followed him VERY closely, almost as if she were handcuffed or something? He was very surly.
    I can't explain it, but my instincts were telling me this was Suzy Lamplugh. I asked my bf if I should report what I'd seen but he said there's nothing to report so I didn't.
    Years later, I saw SW mentioned on Crimewatch, and a possible connection with Suzy Lamplugh. He didn't seem like the man I had seen. I started 'sleuthing' SW and found he had connections with the South London area. I rang the crimestoppers number, and they put me through to a detective connected to the Lamplugh case.
    I told him about what I'd seen, but he was very confident it was not SW, he said they knew 99% who Suzy,s suspect was, and he was in prison for other crimes. He didn't
    mention a name, but I researched and I'm pretty sure he meant JC. When I saw his photo it was more like the man I had seen, rather than SW.
    I bought a book about JC, and one thing that struck me was the fact that he always asked for newspapers to be brought to him. He was obsessed with them, seeming to take delight in seeing his name in the papers.
    It may not seem that I saw a lot, and maybe it was a random couple, but as I say, I had a very strong instinct when I saw them. I remember which bus stop they got off, very near a roughish pub. There was a lot of building/construction work being carried out next to the pub.
  • Has those areas (Thornton Heath/Addisombe/Croydon) ever been mentioned in any theories, does anyone know?
Very interesting story thank you for taking time to post details :)

Thanks for posting this Scorpiette.

It's a shame the police didn't look into your tip, I have a feeling that as soon as they had decided JC was responsible for Suzy's disappearance a lot of possible leads were overlooked.

1. Videcette said he's viewed every book, video, newspaper clipping that he can source. Plus conducted 100 plus interviews with those connected to case.

2. From what I can ascertain via Stephens / Videcette, it was defo Suzy who rang the bank. She was distressed somewhat on the Monday morning mentioning the loss of her items to the Sturgis office secretary.

3. Good question! And I don't know the answer. My guess would be the (proper) landlord and his wife would have left on their leave by 12.30 ish, but conceivably it could have been her that Suzy spoke to.

4. The acting lordlord and his wife were being trained up by the proper landlord. It's unclear how long he worked in the Prince of Wales under supervision. That Monday however, appears to be first time the acting landlord had sole charge of the pub when the landlord was away on leave.

5. Do you know that Suzy and Adam had in fact broken up? Suzy had a new man in her life, a friend too of Adam. Whom she developed a relationship with when Adam was in Tenerife. She's pictured sitting on his knee in the last pic taken at a party on the Saturday night. I believe Suzy and Adam broke up on the Friday night.

Things are a tad confusing because by all accounts, Adam continued in his 'role' as Suzy's boyfriend re police press conferences etc after she disappeared.

Again reading the Stevens and Videcette books gives you a great insight in to this story.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Crusader!

I didn't know that Suzy & Adam had broken up and, as you say, he portrayed himself in the media as Suzy's boyfriend after she had disappeared.

I'm still confused by the different stories of when Suzy's things were found in the pub. The landlord says they were found on the Sunday, yet Adam's account is that Suzy lost them on the Friday night. According to Adam they went to the pub on the Friday night (has anyone else verified this), so if they were left at the pub why did it take two days for the landlord to come across them?

If they were mislaid on the Sunday then at some point Suzy must have visited the pub, although there doesn't appear to be any record of this.

I'm still confused by the different stories of when Suzy's things were found in the pub. The landlord says they were found on the Sunday, yet Adam's account is that Suzy lost them on the Friday night. According to Adam they went to the pub on the Friday night (has anyone else verified this), so if they were left at the pub why did it take two days for the landlord to come across them?

If they were mislaid on the Sunday then at some point Suzy must have visited the pub, although there doesn't appear to be any record of this.

In Videcette's book, Adam says that he was never in the Prince of Wales pub at all. On the Friday night, he and Suzy had dinner in the restaurant next door.

Some of the things that Adam has claimed in print and on camera seem at odds with other accounts, I wonder why this is?

Adams interview with DV was strange to say the least, said he’d never been in the PoW pub stormed off saying “you’ll never find Suzy”.
What was that all about after nearly 35 years, why so much emotion?
It seems he’s been hiding something all these years.

I think Adam broke up with Suzy on the Friday night in Mossops restaurant and he was coerced b DL to say what he’s been saying all these years.

I’ll add that Suzy lost her things on Sunday when she went out to call Adam at 10.15pm.

On the subject of Suzy's diary, does anyone know if it was an ordinary day-to-day diary where she recorded everyday events in her life or was it more of a name & address-type kind of thing?

The reason I ask is that if Suzy did lose her diary on the Sunday then it's possible she recorded what happened on the Friday evening (the split with Adam and where she had been to that evening). It would be interesting to know if it was indeed a day-to-day diary because if there were entries for the Friday & Saturday then it would prove beyond all doubt she mislaid it on the Sunday.

On the subject of Suzy's diary, does anyone know if it was an ordinary day-to-day diary where she recorded everyday events in her life or was it more of a name & address-type kind of thing?

The reason I ask is that if Suzy did lose her diary on the Sunday then it's possible she recorded what happened on the Friday evening (the split with Adam and where she had been to that evening). It would be interesting to know if it was indeed a day-to-day diary because if there were entries for the Friday & Saturday then it would prove beyond all doubt she mislaid it on the Sunday.

Some commentators in press in the 80s, reviewing Andrew Stephen's book, picked up on the Sunday loss of the diary and this is now seemingly proven by David Videcette. It was seemingly thought it was better to say she had lost it on the Friday evening for the sake of a clear and established narrative the public could get behind (for various reasons).

It was, according to Videcette, a 'secret' diary few knew about, a pocket diary.

We don't know she split with Adam on Friday, but that is the suggestion. We do know she was planning to split with him, she went to a 21st in their friendship group without him on the Saturday.

Adam had been in the Canaries for a week, arriving back on the Thursday of the week she went missing.

He joined the after party, Windsurfing, on the Sunday at Worthing, but she left (early) without him for London with a female friend. She then went to her parents but left and then went to the pub, it would seem. Close to her home. She lost her things, possibly leaving them in the phone box, initially, that was outside the pub in 1986. Somehow, they seemed to have ended up close to the pub steps and picnic tables, by or partly on the pub step. They were found by the acting Landlord, he seems to confirm this too.

The police have the diary, if she put that in they’d know Adam was not telling the truth about the Friday evening.
I also wondered if Suzy would put work appointments in, if she did and she lost it on Sunday, Mr Kipper would be in. If all her other work appointments are in and he’s missing, then he never existed.
Like many I’d like to study the content, it would explain a lot about this case.

Blimey Scorpiette. What an eye opener.

Regarding no. 2.....is there proof its wasn't just a pretend call with the bank? Was it confirmed by the bank that suzy contacted them?

The landlord, that left the acting landlord in charge, asked him to call the bank. The regular landlord confirmed that.

It turned out, so Videcette says, the police never properly interviewed anyone at the pub. The regular landlord then left to go away to visit family for a few days, leaving the acting Landlord in charge.

It was possible the pub itself was closed all of Monday, after a stock take in the morning.

So, if the acting landlord really was expecting Suzy in the evening, as he claims, she will have arrived unannounced. Possibly, to a pub that was officially closed for the day.

The landlord, that left the acting landlord in charge, asked him to call the bank. The regular landlord confirmed that.

It turned out, so Videcette says, the police never properly interviewed anyone at the pub. The regular landlord then left to go away to visit family for a few days, leaving the acting Landlord in charge.

It was possible the pub itself was closed all of Monday, after a stock take in the morning.

So, if the acting landlord really was expecting Suzy in the evening, as he claims, she will have arrived unannounced. Possibly, to a pub that was officially closed for the day.

Apologies for this but I have more questions - thanks to anyone who replies!

1. Was it the regular landlord who was in charge over the weekend?

2. Did the police ever confirm with him if Suzy was in the pub either Friday or Sunday night?

3. What time on the Monday did the regular landlord leave the pub to visit family?

4. Did he oversee the stock take in the morning first?

Also, Suzy was said to have spoken to the wife of the landlord (which one?) in the morning. Is it possible Suzy told her she would pop in at lunchtime for her things but didn't tell her work colleagues?

Back in the 1980's (until 1988 I believe) pubs used to open 11 - 3 & then close again until 5.30, so it's possible the pub may have stayed closed on the Monday for the stock take until the early evening opening time.

Maybe the acting pub landlords wife knew about the early pickup but the acting landlord didn't know about it

Apologies for this but I have more questions - thanks to anyone who replies!

1. Was it the regular landlord who was in charge over the weekend?

2. Did the police ever confirm with him if Suzy was in the pub either Friday or Sunday night?

3. What time on the Monday did the regular landlord leave the pub to visit family?

4. Did he oversee the stock take in the morning first?

Also, Suzy was said to have spoken to the wife of the landlord (which one?) in the morning. Is it possible Suzy told her she would pop in at lunchtime for her things but didn't tell her work colleagues?

Back in the 1980's (until 1988 I believe) pubs used to open 11 - 3 & then close again until 5.30, so it's possible the pub may have stayed closed on the Monday for the stock take until the early evening opening time.

1.I think so, all four were there, Clive Vole and wife and regular landlord and wife. Clive had been trained up and wife working in the kitchen.
On Sunday Clive gave the things he found to the regular landlord's wife.
Clive & wife, trained for 12 weeks at the Pub prior to being left in charge it seems. At some stage before, not immediately before, being left in charge. The landlord liked to have people he had trained left in charge when he took holiday.

2. No. We now know she lost her things on Sunday and these were found close to the pub and the phone box that was outside then (they were found by Clive Vole).

3. Latter part of the morning, neither he nor wife could remember name of stocktaker.

4. No, and there is a suggestion the pub may have remained closed all, all day after the stock take. 'Pub may have be closed because of the handover and the stocktake, there might have been no food served'. Suggested Suzy might have visited when pub not open to general public.

Yes, the 1988 book said that Suzy last spoke to the acting landlord's wife immediately before she left the office, so after 12 noon when other couple had left. but Clive now says 'she wasn't there, she had nothing to do with it'. Pub may have stayed closed all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998