UK UK - Tapiwa ”Tapi“ Russell Matuwi, 21, Fiction nightclub, Swansea, South Wales, 7 Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Ched

Ched Well-Known Member

2. Maljako

Maljako Active Member

The 5 am sighting at his old school's (?) student accommodation CCTV could mean nothing or could mean everything. If the person he last contacted was someone he wanted to see but who didn't want to see him, that could be the clue. Of course, it might be that he just walked past the building, and was on his way somewhere else.

Still, since the last sighting is as close to water as you can get, this seems rather clear, unfortunately.

dotr, GarAndTeed and cybervampira like this.
  3. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

South Wales Police Swansea and Neath Port Talbot

Detectives searching for missing graduate Tapiwa Matuwi have today issued CCTV footage of his last known movements.

Twenty-one-year-old Tapi, as he is known, went missing in the early hours of Thursday, February 7, following a night out in Swansea city centre.

The footage begins with Tapi, who is 6ft, with distinctive black and orange hair, entering McDonalds on Oxford Street with a friend.
    He is later captured outside McDonalds heading towards Caer Street, New Cut Road and near Sainsbury’s on Quay Parade.
    The last known sighting is at Swansea Yacht Club at 7.06am on Thursday, February 7.

Detective Inspector Matthew Davies said: “We have a team dedicated to this investigation who have carried out extensive CCTV enquiries and spoken to a number of potential witnesses.

“We’ve identified a number of people captured in the footage however, we know that there are other potential unidentified witnesses, including dog walkers and joggers, in the Marina area at the same time we see Tapi on CCTV at the Yacht Club.

“We’re releasing this footage in case it helps to jog anyone’s memory from that morning and I’d urge anyone who thinks they have information which may help – however insignificant it may seem – to come forward.

“Tapi has now been missing for five weeks, and it has been an agonising time for his family and friends who have been fully supportive of our investigation and have also been searching continuously for him.

“They are being updated and supported throughout the investigation and our thoughts, as always, remain with them at this extremely difficult time.”

4. Ched

Ched Well-Known Member

This is just so sad

silverjug, dotr, cherrytree9 and 3 others like this.
  5. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

So much CCTV! He looks pretty drunk. Anyone got a guess where he was going? I need to look at times and maps properly (@Sera fancy another map making job?!) but it seems he was walking away from home and towards loads of water. There is also a 90 minute gap to account for.

6. Sera

Sera Well-Known Member

I'll get on it as soon as possible but I've got a super busy weekend so it might not get done til at least later tonight (Saturday night). So sad that yet another missing person has disappeared near water. It's crazy how often this seems to happen! I hope he's found safe and well.

Elainera, dotr and CoverMeCagney like this.
  7. Sera

Sera Well-Known Member

Tapiwa Matuwi
    Tapiwa Matuwi - Google My Maps

This is all I've managed to get done so far, will do more as soon as I can. I think I've covered all/most of the CCTV sightings and club location etc. Only managed to mark his home address as the Llansamlet area as I can't find his address in MSM. If anyone's seen his address please send me a link. Thank you :)

Elainera, Atoz, dotr and 5 others like this.
  8. CoverMeCagney

Thank you @Sera, bob on!

So, a bit of a mystery where Tapi was for almost 2 hours between the student halls and the marina. Possibly stopped for a nap a la Corrie? Looking at the map surely the most likely scenario is that he fell into water, though I'd have thought there would be further camera footage of him in that area. He's in a bright orange coat and would stand out like a beacon, so my gut feeling is he fell in somewhere soon after 7:06.

Elainera, silverjug, dotr and 3 others like this.
  9. cherrytree9

cherrytree9 Well-Known Member

After leaving the student halls, the video actually shows Tapi passing through Sainsburys at 5:30. If you look on Sera's wonderful map, it's the Sainsburys just above the Yacht Club where he's last seen.

I checked the Sainsburys opening times for Thursdays and they actually open at 7am. If CoverMeCagney's right and he took a nap, maybe it was near the shop and he was woken by workers/customers/delivery drivers? Or maybe he wanted some alone time and when people started showing up he moved on. Either way, it breaks my heart to think something might have happened to him just as people were starting to arrive and nobody saw :(

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  10. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

11. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Missing man's family consider hiring PI

upload_2019-4-12_1-20-39.jpeg

The father of a missing 21-year-old musician has said his family are considering hiring a private investigator in a bid to find him.

Tapiwa Matuwi was last seen near Swansea Marina at about 07:00 GMT on 7 February after visiting Fiction nightclub.

A fundraising concert is being held at the YMCA in Swansea on Friday.

South Wales Police said its investigation into his disappearance was ongoing.

[...]

12. Coconutty

Coconutty Well-Known Member

I have to be honest and say that when I heard about this I assumed he had sadly fallen in the water, although the last CCTV he appears to have sobered up a lot.

dotr, cybervampira and silverjug like this.
  13. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Hoping that Tapi is still wearing his bright coat, it could help make him more visible..wherever he may be. imo.
    Would somebody target him for/because of his jacket?
    Also, noting one article states that he is 6', the other says 5'6''?
    rbbm.
    CCTV of missing man's last known movements
    [​IMG]
    "The footage begins with Mr Matuwi, who is 6ft with distinctive black and orange hair, entering McDonald's on Oxford Street with a friend.

He is later seen outside McDonald's heading towards Caer Street, New Cut Road and near Sainsbury’s on Quay Parade.

The last known sighting is at Swansea Yacht Club at 07:06 GMT."

Parents' plea over missing hip hop artist
    "Police and the community have been searching for Mr Matuwi, who graduated in IT from the University of Wales Trinity Saint David last year, and his family have been distributing posters.

Mr Matuwi is about 5ft 6in, slim with black hair with orange on top, and light stubble. He was wearing a red jacket with Bieber written in white on the back."

14. CoverMeCagney

I mean, he's pretty distinctive - 6 foot black guy with black and orange hair and a bright red coat. The water seems the most obvious scenario, but even then he or his coat should have been spotted by now. Very odd.

Elainera, Amonet, cherrytree9 and 6 others like this.
  15. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Bumping, cannot seem to find any updates, are there any current searches for him near the water?

cherrytree9, Al Ka, Amonet and 3 others like this.
  16. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

This mp seems to have dropped right out of the news, maybe time for the family to make a fresh appeal to bring awareness and hopefully information.
    Wondering if bodies easily turn up in the area near the yacht where Tapi was last seen?
    Any chance Tapi boarded a boat and went....away?
    speculation, imo.

17. Amonet

Amonet Well-Known Member

18. chimpface

chimpface Well-Known Member

He looks absolutely smashed in some of that CCTV. My only guess is he's in a body of water somewhere, hopefully he can be found and laid to rest at some point.

As a late 20's male in the UK I'm glad I don't live near any bodies of water as I'm partial to a few ales at the weekend!