UK - US Diplomat's wife leaves UK after killing Harry Dunn, age 19, Northampton, Sept 2019 *suspended sentence*

British pol asks for virtual trial in diplomat’s wife crash

Representing South Northamptonshire, Member of Parliament Andrea Leadsom has called on the Home Secretary to instigate a virtual trial in the case of the wife of an American diplomat who killed an English teen with her car.

“She could remain on U.S. soil, have a virtual trial with a U.K. court, and should there be a custodial sentence, she could serve it in the U.S. under the existing prisoner transfer agreement,” wrote Leadsom.

Ooooh, clicked Like, but looking around for the "yep this is a good step" "glad they did this" or "oh maybe Justice after all" buttons again.

Thanks so much for posting the link!

RIP, Harry, peace & comfort for your loved ones!

For the defendants in this lawsuit:

upload_2020-9-9_19-45-39.jpeg

I think that there would be a horrible outcry from this nation if the shoe was on the other foot and rightly so. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that we have to be made, through the court of law, to do the right thing. I hope that the Dunns prevail though nothing will return Harry to them.

Sacoolas’ husband owned the SUV involved in the incident, according to the complaint filed by Dunn family attorney Steven Toll with the New York City firm Cohen Milstein.

Sparking tension between the American and British governments, Sacoolas claimed diplomatic immunity immediately following the crash and left the U.K. to return home to Virginia.

“Defendant Anne Sacoolas promised to cooperate with the British police in the investigation of the accident. But rather than stay in the United Kingdom, where she and her husband were living and working, defendant Anne Sacoolas fled to the United States,” the complaint states, adding Dunn’s family was forced to sue Sacoolas in U.S. federal court because she refused to face British law enforcement.

Attorneys for Sacoolas did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Good for them, maybe this will have more success.

I don't think I knew that she didn't call an ambulance though - was that reported on before?

I was also surprised, and appalled, to learn that. Not sure it's been reported on before that I've seen and raises additional questions concerning how cooperative she planned to be, and what the UK police and then the US State Department knew as it worked in the background to get her home to the US.

Anne Sacoolas: "Sorry bout that. Byee"

*my imagination only*

Or: "Motorcyclist in the road? How inconvenient...." (Visualize our old Barfing emoji.)

And, IIRC there was a 12 year old in the car.

Beyond sad! Several of our Brit posters agreed that the driver would likely have avoided incarceration -- their term was Custodial Sentence -- if she had cooperated.

Maybe the signs at the gates of the base have changed & are a clear reminder of the traffic patterns?

Or: "Motorcyclist in the road? How inconvenient...." (Visualize our old Barfing emoji.)

And, IIRC there was a 12 year old in the car.

Beyond sad! Several of our Brit posters agreed that the driver would likely have avoided incarceration -- their term was Custodial Sentence -- if she had cooperated.

Maybe the signs at the gates of the base have changed & are a clear reminder of the traffic patterns?

There are times I really miss those old emojis. This would be one. Also rolling eyes.

There are times I really miss those old emojis. This would be one. Also rolling eyes.

Do you like these:

images

upload_2020-9-12_8-13-18.jpeg

I do miss them! Plus the Escape out the Door one, when you've made a bad pun!

And Off to Bed, Pillow Fight, sweet nostalgia!

Harry Dunn's mother makes appeal to presidential candidate Joe Biden to 'reconsider' US decision

Mrs Sacoolas, 43, was charged by the Crown Prosecution Service with causing Mr Dunn's death by dangerous driving on 27 August outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo rejected an extradition request, describing the decision as "final".

In a video appeal , Mrs Charles appealed to Mr Biden to "do your best to amend" the situation - saying Mrs Sacoolas "walking free" was "tearing us apart as a family".

She said: "I please urge you, should you win on 3 November, to please reconsider the position the US has taken against us - and when I say us I don't just mean myself, I mean us as the UK as well.

"We never, ever expected to be in this position. We never thought the lady who is responsible for taking our son's life would have been able to fly home to the US and evade as best she could the UK justice system.

"All we have ever asked of the US and her, is to just allow her to face the UK justice system."

Harry Dunn's mother makes appeal to presidential candidate Joe Biden to 'reconsider' US decision

Mrs Sacoolas, 43, was charged by the Crown Prosecution Service with causing Mr Dunn's death by dangerous driving on 27 August outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo rejected an extradition request, describing the decision as "final".

In a video appeal , Mrs Charles appealed to Mr Biden to "do your best to amend" the situation - saying Mrs Sacoolas "walking free" was "tearing us apart as a family".

She said: "I please urge you, should you win on 3 November, to please reconsider the position the US has taken against us - and when I say us I don't just mean myself, I mean us as the UK as well.

"We never, ever expected to be in this position. We never thought the lady who is responsible for taking our son's life would have been able to fly home to the US and evade as best she could the UK justice system.

"All we have ever asked of the US and her, is to just allow her to face the UK justice system."

I vote to send her back on the next flight. She needs to face the consequences of her actions. Including the continuing behavior of evading facing the parents of her victim.

I could be wrong on this, but if a British citizen is accused of a crime committed in the United States, wouldn't the authorities send him or her back here to face the music? This could be an interesting scenario soon.

I could be wrong on this, but if a British citizen is accused of a crime committed in the United States, wouldn't the authorities send him or her back here to face the music?
Does the hypothetical British citizen have diplomatic immunity? If so, the answer to your question could well be....."maybe".

I do know that when a Georgian diplomat DUI'ed and killed a US citizen, the US made a formal request that the Georgians waive diplomatic immunity and return the diplomat to the US for trial.

The Georgians eventually did so with a string of guarantees regarding the sentence length, early release possibilities and where the sentence would be served.

In the end, however, I dont know the historical British policy on waiving diplomatic immunity and allowing for extradition when their diplomats go bad.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back