UK - US Diplomat's wife leaves UK after killing Harry Dunn, age 19, Northampton, Sept 2019 *suspended sentence*

I can't "like" this post but I appreciate the information. It is disheartening.
I agree, it's such a shame. I did think it was interesting the judges comment though - it wasn't something they decided on lightly by the sounds of it BBM

"The judges, Lord Justice Flaux and Mr Justice Saini, found: “Our conclusion is that Mrs Sacoolas enjoyed immunity from UK criminal jurisdiction at the time of Harry’s death. We do not come to this conclusion with any enthusiasm for the result, but it is compelled by the operation of the Vienna convention on diplomatic relations.”

An interesting read, thanks for posting. Also interesting that Raab says"

“My thoughts today are with Harry’s family. While this judgment makes clear the Foreign Office acted properly and lawfully throughout, I appreciate that won’t provide any solace to the family in their search for justice.

“We stand with them, we’re clear that Anne Sacoolas needs to face justice in the UK, and we will support the family with their legal claim in the US.”

It's not over yet....

Harry Dunn suspect Anne Sacoolas WAS a spy | Daily Mail Online

"Harry Dunn's alleged killer was 'employed by an intelligence agency in the US' at the time of the fatal road crash – which was 'especially a factor' in her departure from the UK, a court has heard.

The Alexandria district court in Virginia was told Anne Sacoolas and her husband Jonathan Sacoolas worked for the US State Department and they 'fled' the country due to 'issues of security'.

Mr Dunn, 19, was killed after a car crashed into his motorbike outside US military base RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire in August 2019.

The revelations came out during Sacoolas's application to dismiss a civil claim for damages against her made by the Dunn family on Wednesday."

The suspect's barrister, John McGavin, told the court he could not 'completely candidly' explain why the Sacoolas family left the UK – adding: 'I know the answer, but I cannot disclose it.'

Family spokesman Radd Seiger said UK authorities must 'urgently investigate whether she had diplomatic immunity' at the time of the incident.

Sacoolas had diplomatic immunity asserted on her behalf by the US Government and she was able to return home around three weeks later."

I still think that if she had stayed for the inquest, cried about her driving mistake, cried that her own son was in the car & experienced this, cried that her mistake had hurt the Dunn family and taken their son -- we would not have heard a word about the situation.

Spy or no spy.

Now, the intelligence community must mop up anything she was involved in, because now it's published that she is a spy! IMHO "they" would have been better off implying that she is merely the spouse of a State Department employee.

JMHO YMMV LRR

I still think that if she had stayed for the inquest, cried about her driving mistake, cried that her own son was in the car & experienced this, cried that her mistake had hurt the Dunn family and taken their son -- we would not have heard a word about the situation.

Spy or no spy.

Now, the intelligence community must mop up anything she was involved in, because now it's published that she is a spy! IMHO "they" would have been better off implying that she is merely the spouse of a State Department employee.

JMHO YMMV LRR

I agree, I feel like they made the situation far worse by her running away. Her identity is now known, and her face is known, so she surely cannot work as a spy again. I don't really get what she gained from any of this.

Is there proof she was a "spy"? I mean proof other than her lawyer saying what he needs to say to absolve her from standing trial for her crime. Intelligence operatives are not generally identified. If true it could still cause her to be targeted by others for intelligence reasons.

Catmommy, there are different kinds of status. In general, there are overt employees -- openly identified with an organization, and covert employees -- those who are under cover and not openly identified with an organization.

Cover also comes in different types. Nominal cover is as it sounds, nominal. It is used for general purposes to disassociate the employee from the organization, but does not extend to all things. For example, nominal cover may not extend to legal proceedings. In a legal proceeding true association may become a requirement of the legal action. Deep cover is backstopped and no association is made.

There are some really good Cold War period publications on this. The 20th century was one long "war in the shadows." It started with the Bolsheviks succeeded and Russia became the Soviet Union, and ended with the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. The Western powers and the Soviets were locked in mortal combat in back alleys, basements, and in the halls of power with agents of influence or traitors who defected in place.

A judge has ruled that Harry Dunn’s family will be allowed to pursue a civil claim in the US against Anne Sacoolas, who fled the UK after allegedly killing the 19-year-old motorcyclist.

The family will be able to sue Sacoolas for damages after a judge in the eastern district of Virginia dismissed her argument that holding the proceedings in the UK would be “more convenient”.

He said she had at the same time expressed concern that “she will not receive fair treatment both with the press and the local community” in the UK.

[...]

Other motions Sacoolas’s legal team had submitted to dismiss the case will be heard on 3 March in Virginia.

Harry Dunn family's damages claim can go ahead in US, judge rules

A judge has ruled that Harry Dunn’s family will be allowed to pursue a civil claim in the US against Anne Sacoolas, who fled the UK after allegedly killing the 19-year-old motorcyclist.

The family will be able to sue Sacoolas for damages after a judge in the eastern district of Virginia dismissed her argument that holding the proceedings in the UK would be “more convenient”.

He said she had at the same time expressed concern that “she will not receive fair treatment both with the press and the local community” in the UK.

[...]

Other motions Sacoolas’s legal team had submitted to dismiss the case will be heard on 3 March in Virginia.

Sacoolas is saying it would be more convenient to hold the proceedings in the UK and is worried that she will not receive fair treatment. But all of these things are as a result of her fleeing. I feel like it's too late for her to be claiming it's unfair, because this courtcase is very much because of her flight to the US and her later refusal to return to the UK. So I don't really see how those claims by her could be taken seriously

[...]

In my opinion, it is her victim, Harry Dunn, and his family, that have not received fair treatment. Her carelessness did not occur while she was actively engaged in her job.

Harry Dunn suspect's bid to dismiss US civil claim denied as trial nears

Similar to the previous story, but they can also claim against her husband now

"Harry Dunn’s family have been given the go-ahead to proceed with a civil claim for damages in the US against both the teenager’s alleged killer and her husband."
"On Wednesday, judge Thomas Ellis ruled the Dunn family could proceed with their civil claim against both Sacoolas and her husband - allowing a claim of “vicarious liability” to be brought against him. The Virginia state law of vicarious liability means Mr Sacoolas could be liable for the teenager’s death by allowing his wife to use the car which killed him."

Harry Dunn's family reject suspect's offer to do community service in US

A lawyer acting for Anne Sacoolas, the suspect in the death of 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn, has said her client is willing to undertake community service, make a financial contribution in Dunn’s memory and to meet the parents to help give them some peace.

However, the lawyer said in a BBC interview that Sacoolas was not willing to return to the UK where she is facing charges of death by dangerous driving, an offence that can lead to a jail sentence.

Harry Dunn's family reject suspect's offer to do community service in US

A lawyer acting for Anne Sacoolas, the suspect in the death of 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn, has said her client is willing to undertake community service, make a financial contribution in Dunn’s memory and to meet the parents to help give them some peace.

However, the lawyer said in a BBC interview that Sacoolas was not willing to return to the UK where she is facing charges of death by dangerous driving, an offence that can lead to a jail sentence.

It's almost like she's saying "I'll make up to you for killing your child on my own terms only".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back