Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

UK - Vicar & daughter charged in death of newborn, Freckleton, Lancs, 25 Nov 2014

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Ellmau, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

The Revd Jim Percival, priest in charge of Freckleton, and his 28 y.o. dau Ruth have been arrested for murder following a reported stillbirth; also unspecified sex offences. Wife also arrested for concealing birth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ter-arrested-on-suspicion-of-baby-murder.html

2. Loading...

3. Mountaingazer

Mountaingazer Well-Known Member

I wonder what the sexual offences are? So sad :(

4. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

5. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I was absolutely horrified and disgusted when I read this how can you do that to an innocent baby it's sick. R.I.P little one.

6. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

If you're worried the existence of the baby is evidence of a sexual offence; incest, for example?

7. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

They've dropped the sex offence charges, but are continuing to question father and daughter on concealing a birth: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...racy-conceal-birth-child-sexual-offences.html

The baby's cause of death is not yet determined (it could still be natural causes, although the police suspect it was suspicious). It used to be the case that concealing a pregnancy, and the baby then dying, was assumed to be infanticide, even if the cause of death could not be determined, but I didn't think that was the case nowadays.

8. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Ellmau it will be interesting to see if any other charges are dropped or added.

9. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

10. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

I do not have much knowledge of the Church of England, but wouldn't a vicar have connections to possibly private adopt the baby out to an infertile or other couple on an adoption waiting list somewhere? I thought a vicar was well-educated and could come up with a better outcome for the infant, regardless of what sins were committed by the 3 adults involved. I know that God sees all sins as equal, but here on earth, having a 28 year old daughter adopt out an unplanned baby gets a lot less scrutiny than having a deceased new born in your house.
    If there were as many stillborn babies born in hospitals as are found deceased in private homes, schools, and public bathrooms, we would never hear about this measles outbreaks and whether the flu shot was any good this year. All JMO.

11. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

Private adoptions are virtually unknown in the UK, unless they're within the family, and even then I think Social Services gets involved unless it's a stepparent situation. (I know someone who fosters, and they were at one point caring for a baby who was going to be adopted by the very young birth mother's aunt.)

Latest news: the vicar is also accused of a historic rape allegation, one assumes someone came forward after all the publicity over this case:
    http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/freckleton-vicar-re-bailed-over-rape-allegation-1-7060960

12. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

13. Hoosgirl

Hoosgirl Well-Known Member

14. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

Released on bail a second time, the first period on bail having expired.

15. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

16. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

17. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

18. wendybtn

19. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

8th Jan 2016:

Read more: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...death-probe-continues-1-7663755#ixzz4013195Ck

20. wendybtn

The link above states they are 'bailed' until today. I wonder what is happening?

21. Ellmau

Ellmau Well-Known Member

They did drop all the charges, but then in October the inquest apparently uncovered new evidence, and the coroner sent it back to the CPS:

The baby's father didn't bother to show up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ath-at-vicarage-halted-as-coroner-refers-cas/

Tragic case.