GUILTY UK - Women Were 'Kept As Slaves For Over 30 Years

Interestingly, police are now saying that they do not believe the women were trafficked.

So the three captives are not related
Not trafficked
The thirty year old was 'probably' born into captivity

So either she is the daughter of one of the suspects......

Or police are now searching for her mother who gave birth to her. Possibly, the body of her mother.

A missing, pregnant woman from 1983 might be easier to find online.

THREE DECADES. This is mind-boggling, and yet I guess it really shouldn't be. Maybe the difference is that we (or maybe it's just me) think of domestic slaves as typically being bought/stolen/lured from developing nations, people who are virtually invisible. The fact that we have an Irish victim in this case is absolutely chilling. The brazenness. To think this is going on every day, even right this minute, under everyone's noses.

I hope there isn't a plea for leniency because of the suspects' ages. To heck with that.

BTW, I hate it when someone is described as Asian. That's like saying "from somewhere in the Americas". It's meaningless.

They say the couple is Asian, not British- wondering if that means S Asian as in Indian, or Chinese?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...hed-and-beaten-during-30yearhell-8956001.html
bbm.

"Mr Rodhouse said the force had uncovered a “complicated and disturbing picture of emotional control over many years — brainwashing would be a simple term for it”. It is believed that the two suspects are Asian and that the 30-year-old victim is the daughter of one of the other victims.

Police said there was no evidence of sexual abuse but one of the women claimed to have been beaten. Officers recovered 55 bags of evidence during a 12-hour search of the house.

The charity that helped to free the women from the property said all three were “quite traumatised” and “very relieved to be out”.

One of the trio is reported to have been refused medical treatment by the couple, despite telling them that she believed she had suffered a stroke"

From the headgear the three women were wearing in the photo taken of them (in which they are silhouetted) my guess is that the couple would be from a country which demands that women cover their hair and would enforce gender specific dress codes with physical punishment. Although there may be some large communities in China, most likely the two people would have come from South or Southeast Asia. I find it interesting that the couple have lived in Britain for thirty years and were not interested in becoming citizens. Seems a long time to me. I'm so glad these women were found, but find it appalling that anti-slavery organizations estimate that 4,000 or more people exist in England as slaves. The penalties for human trafficking seem ridiculously low. Perhaps the slave traders should experience a lifetime of captivity themselves.

http://world.time.com/2013/10/17/an-underground-world-of-male-slaves-comes-to-light-in-the-u-k/

The suspects could be from Malaysia, the same as one of their victims. Some people wear Islamic dress there.
http://asiasociety.org/policy/socia...ere-are-no-human-rights-without-womens-rights

That would also explain the delay in police clarifying if there was any relationship between the suspects and victims.

The suspects have been charged with immigration offences, so maybe they were in London without documents themselves and could not apply for citizenship. That means, I think, that if and when they are found guilty, they could apply to serve out the rest of their sentence in their home country. And possibly be released very early. Though, after 30 years in London, it doesn't sound as though they would want to go elsewhere.

I hope Brit police don't get over excited about this case and make a hash of it.....no offence, but it seems to be a tendency sometimes and they are obviously pretty taken aback with what's happened here.

I am a little uneasy about the police still expressing uncertainty if the eldest victims are related to the suspects or not. It seems the victims have been able to speak and provide their ages, and the year they were taken captive, so I don't know why they haven't been able to tell police if they are related or not. As they were both adults in 1983 and have recalled they came from Ireland and Malaysia, is it possible they don't recall their families? Or are police just not saying?

Could they be so confused/brainwashed that they simply don't know whether they are related or not?

Or maybe the Malaysian victim was told that she is related to the couple, but she always had doubts, but is nevertheless not sure?

I find it confusing that the met is saying they would have appeared to look like a normal family. I find that odd considering their ages and different ethnicities. Unless the captors were also Malaysian?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a hard time believing that a couple who was 37 years old (30 years ago) needed two slaves to help them with chores. Did they have children living in the home with them too?

Wondering if the couple had some kind of home business they needed "slaves" to help operate? Thinking making small parts, sewing ect. to producing and selling drugs..
Were these women considered wives?

"The couple suspected of keeping three women as slaves for 30 years used cult-like techniques to brainwash their victims, it was claimed today.

The extraordinary psychological control they exerted meant the three were kept captive in ‘invisible handcuffs’. Local politicians and community leaders briefed on the case compared their ordeal to people trapped in a religious cult."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rmal-family-arrested-1970s.html#ixzz2lQC4juMx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
bbm.

<<<SNIP>>>

"But behind closed doors the alleged masters of the three London slaves are said to have exerted a &#8216;cult-like&#8217; hold, controlling them through constant psychological and emotional abuse.

They were left so traumatised and dependent that they did not dare run away on the occasions they were allowed to leave the house.

The women were given &#8216;some controlled freedom&#8217;, venturing outside to shop locally for groceries and other household supplies on the orders of the captors.

Physically and mentally abused, they lived in terror of the couple who forced them into a life of domestic servitude. Throughout their captivity, the victims were said to have waited on the 67-year-old couple hand and foot, cooking, cleaning and washing clothes for them"

I have a hard time believing that a couple who was 37 years old (30 years ago) needed two slaves to help them with chores. Did they have children living in the home with them too?

I agree. If not needing help with several children, then possibly one or both of the slave owners had been diagnosed with a degenerative disease. Or perhaps they were involved in human trafficking in a way that took a lot of their time as they bought and sold other people. Or they enjoyed beating helpless women--maybe it made them feel superior. Or perhaps they enjoyed having slaves as status symbols?

References to cult-like behaviour makes me believe there was no initial abduction involved with the two eldest women. They became captives, but initially may have chosen to live in the house.

There is something seriously hinky with the 30 year old being there though. Some hints now she IS a daughter of a captive, which entirely contradicts the 'not related' theme so far. And not quite sure how that would fit with no sexual abuse, either? If you are a captive and give birth to a child.........well, you probably wouldn't have much choice about who you had sex with, and that's abuse to me.

Could this be a case of a man having multiple wives on a religious basis?

ETA. Not suggesting that a wife can't be sexually abused here, by the way.

Ooh. Now is it possible a Malaysian man who wanted to live in England, married an Irish woman he had met there, and then they both moved back to England? Then he brought his first two wives over, that his Irish bride had never known about? With one woman the favored wife and the others reduced to the role of slaves? As multiple marriage isn't legal in the UK, that might explain the immigration offences.

I would love to know what the 1970 charges were about. Cults were at their peak then, of course. Charles Manson's hadn't even blown itself apart yet.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-police-women-slaves-simple-terms-20981912

" UK police said Saturday the two suspects in a major slavery case are from India and Tanzania and came to Britain in the 1960s.

Police believe two of the three women victims, who were allegedly held against their will for over 30 years, met the male suspect in London "through a shared political ideology and that they lived together at an address that you could effectively call 'a collective,'" said Commander Steve Rodhouse.

Police are investigating "the nature of that collective and how it operated," he said, without providing details about the collective or its ideology"

Thanks Dotr.

UK police said Saturday the two suspects in a major slavery case are from India and Tanzania and came to Britain in the 1960s.

Police believe two of the three women victims, who were allegedly held against their will for over 30 years, met the male suspect in London "through a shared political ideology and that they lived together at an address that you could effectively call 'a collective,'" said Commander Steve Rodhouse.

Police are investigating "the nature of that collective and how it operated," he said, without providing details about the collective or its ideology.

The two suspects, a male and a female, both aged 67, have been released on bail.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-police-women-slaves-simple-terms-20981912

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25066006
bbm.

"The case of three women allegedly held as slaves for 30 years at a house in south London is just the "tip of a rather large iceberg", an MP has said.

Frank Field, chair of the Modern Slavery Bill evidence review, said gangs were making "huge sums" from people being imported into the UK"

"The 30 year old woman does have a birth certificate; however that is all the official documentation we can find.

"We believe she has lived with the suspects and the other victims all her life, but of course at this early stage we are still seeking out evidence.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/lambeth-slave-women-live-updates-2841455#ixzz2lU1ToI7N
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher