UK UK - Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe is launching a new legal bid for freedom by claiming his human rights have been breached.
The 61-year-old will be represented by top lawyer Saimo Chahal, who will argue that the Home Office disregarded his human rights because they failed to fix a tariff for his sentence.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1316003,00.html

If the politically correct allow freedom for him, i give in to the idea of vigilantism! :furious::furious::furious:

for those of you who don't know who Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe is, see here: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sutcliffe"]Peter Sutcliffe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

He has NO rights. He murdered 13 woman and attacked 7 others. What an *%#@!#@.
angry-smiley-054.gif

was convicted in 1981 of the murders of thirteen women in the north of England and attacks on seven more in attacks committed between 1975 to 1980.

I very much doubt that Peter Sutcliffe will ever get released considering how much evidence they have against him. If I remember correctly there were other attacks known to have been carried out by him that he wasn't prosecuted for at the time so he could always be tried for those attacks.

He was sentenced to twenty life sentences for the murders of 13 women and non fatal attacks on 7 others and eventually diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. His sentence and the whole life tariff was upheld by several successive home secretaries who are politicians and not members of the judiciary & this is part of what seems to be causing the current legal problem.

We have a saying here in the Southeastern US that kind of sums up my feelings on his human rights being breached:

Bless his little heart.

Read that with a sincere looking smile, and condescension for him and his whining dripping off every word.

The woman lawyer who wants to FREE the Yorkshire Ripper...because 'his human rights have been breached'

Saimo Chahal believes the serial killer, now 61, who smashed his victims over the head before mutilating them, has been misrepresented.

A profile of Miss Chahal on the firm's website confirms that she acts for Sutcliffe adding: "The Secretary of State is in breach of Article Five of the [European Court of Human Rights] in failing to set a tariff."
Miss Chahal was named Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year in a 2006 poll for "repeatedly pushing the boundaries of the law on behalf of those with mental illness".

Sources said she is confident of securing Sutcliffe's release by 2011.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=566344&in_page_id=1770

How about pushing the boundaries of the law on behalf of victims and their relatives, Saimo Chahal?

Can someone explain this to me, a tariff is a tax of imported goods. Obviously there is a cultural thing going on here that I'm not getting.

Certainly. it's a British law term:

The whole life tariff is a mechanism in British law whereby a prisoner is sentenced to remain in prison until his or her death. It came into force in 1983 when the British Home Secretary began to set minimum terms that convicted killers had to serve before being considered for release on life licence. The intention of a whole life tariff was for a prisoner to spend the whole of his or her life behind bars without ever being released, unless there were exceptional circumstances for a prisoner to go free. These circumstances include good progress in prison or release on compassionate grounds, due to great age or infirmity.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_life_tariff

As this seems to be the only thread unique to the Sutcliffe matter, I'll tack this one on here ("human rights indeed"):

She never recovered: Woman who survived brutal attack 35 years ago by Yorkshire Ripper dies aged 82
A Yorkshire Ripper victim who survived one of his attacks has died aged 82 - after she lived with the horrific memories for over 35 years.

Olive Smelt was struck twice on the head with a hammer and had her body slashed by Peter Sutcliffe who later went on to murder 13 women.
---
Her daughter Julie Lowry said: 'She never got over that night but did well to survive and had to learn to accept what happened mentally.

'But physically her mobility was never the same. She had been through hell and suffered in pain in silence.'
more, with plenty of pictures, at Daily Mail link above

Yorkshire Ripper hoaxer Wearside Jack speaks for first time about 'prank' that derailed serial killer investigation. (Mirror)
The man behind the “Wearside Jack” tape that derailed the Yorkshire Ripper inquiry has spoken for the first time of the most infamous hoax in British criminal history.

John Humble, now 57, was just 23 when he recorded the sick message pretending to be the serial killer who brought terror to the streets of Britain.

It was posted to the head of the Ripper team, West Yorkshire Assistant Chief Constable George Oldfield, personally taunting him… and sending the investigation down a blind alley.
---
Police interviewed 40,000 suspects and launched a £1million publicity campaign, believing they were hunting a man with a strong Wearside accent.

In the meantime the real killer, softly-spoken Yorkshireman Peter Sutcliffe, went on to murder three more women .
---
In June 1979, at a packed police conference, stunned journalists from around the world listened as Humble’s voice taunted Mr Oldfield: “I’m Jack… I see you are still having no luck catching me.”

Later in the tape he says: “I can’t see meself being nicked just yet… I reckon your boys are letting you down, George. They can’t be much good can they?”

The recording haunted the veteran cop to his death. He took early retirement and died in Wakefield in 1985, at the age of 61.
---
Humble had changed the course of the inquiry to devastating effect. Efforts to catch him were ditched in September 2003, with police saying they would be unable to prosecute any suspect because of the time that had elapsed.

But a cold case review using DNA testing in 2005 matched his profile with a sample he had given after he was held for being drunk and disorderly in 1991.
---
more at the link, with pictures and a video

I remember reading about this case in a John Douglas book.

Thank you for the update Woofie...Did they ever find the real "Yorkshire Ripper?"

That's interesting. I always thought John Humble was a latent psychopath himself - one of those who didn't want to take the risk of killing for himself but was getting his jollies from helping the Ripper. I didn't realise he'd rang the police twice to tell them it was a hoax or that he'd attempted suicide.

That article makes him sound stupid and pathetic rather than evil. Still glad he got caught and punished though, interfering in the hunt for a serial killer takes stupid to a whole other level, IMO.

Police interviewed 40,000 suspects and launched a £1million publicity campaign, believing they were hunting a man with a strong Wearside accent.

What an awful waste of resources he caused.
:(

It was worse than a waste of resources I'm afraid. Peter Sutcliffe was already on the radar but was discounted as a suspect due to Humble's activities because he didn't sound like the man in the tapes. Sutcliffe went on to claim three more lives.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back