Unidentified object seen behind space shuttle: NASA

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Taximom, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Taximom

Taximom Former Member

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080613143033.6hiegpzo&show_article=1&catnum=0

After completing a standard day-before-landing test of the shuttle steering jets, the crew indicated they had seen a one-foot- to 1.5-foot-long rectangular object floating away from the shuttle from behind the rear portion of the right wing," NASA said in a statement a day before the shuttle's scheduled landing.
    "Shortly afterwards, the crew described what they called a 'bump' on the left side trailing edge of Discovery's rudder. (little more at link)

I hope this doesn't become a safety issue. I think the title is misleading though! I thought the crew had seen a UFO. The alien kind! lol

2. Loading...

3. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

awww a little tiny UFO :crazy:

4. Elphaba

Elphaba Defying Gravity...

Now it is identified... LoL

The bump was an optical illusion and the thing trailing them is a thermal clip from the braking system. All is well for landing...

(the braking system is for launches... landing is not an issue with it. Shuttles just glide in for landing... for such a powerful vehicle, the landing has such a gentle sound that is almost quiet.)

5. noZme

noZme Active Member

so that's settled & all systems are go

can i now ask who has been to a launch? it's an awesome experience & i urge everyone to see it before shuttles are discontinued.

6. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

7. Taximom

Taximom Former Member

Uh huh, sure it was an optical illusion. LOL At least that's what Rocky would say. :D

8. Luzer

Luzer Professional Cat Dodger

If it's little and tiny, could it be a "baby" bump???

9. Luzer

Luzer Professional Cat Dodger

When my son was a sophomore in high school, he was invited to participate in a NASA experiment. He and other students from South Florida went to NASA, toured, etc, and then they each set up crystals to grow on the next shuttle flight. The crystals were to see how they would develop in space, as opposed to on the earth, and hopefully find the on/off switches in the cells. Then, all of us parents were allowed to join them on the last day, and watch the launch. It was phenomenal.

10. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

too funny!