University of MN scientists reverse diabetes in monkeys

vanillasky

Reaction score
They're not ready to try this with people yet.

But researchers at the University of Minnesota announced Sunday that they were able to reverse diabetes in monkeys by transplanting insulin-producing cells from pigs.

Some are calling it a milestone that could eventually transform the lives of millions of people. If the research pans out, it could provide an endless supply of healthy cells to replace the ones that don't work in diabetics.

"I would say it's one of the more promising things on the horizon," said Dr. Brian Flanagan of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in New York City.

Full story: http://www.startribune.com/789/story/257336.html

Use http://www.bugmenot.com if you are prompted for a username or password

My son has to write a few paragraphs about any newspaper article related to science each week for his science class, and he just finished writing about this one ten minutes ago. I'm sure that's not really interesting to anyone but me. :) This does sound really promising..crossing fingers!

tompettyfan said:
My son has to write a few paragraphs about any newspaper article related to science each week for his science class, and he just finished writing about this one ten minutes ago. I'm sure that's not really interesting to anyone but me. :) This does sound really promising..crossing fingers!
It's very important we shop eating so many sugars; they have proven that people with Diabetes Type 2 can overcome it just by eating unprocessed foods, that don't immediately overload the body with sugars. There's a glycemic index where food with the highest numbers (ones that immediately turn into sugar after beeing eaten) are the foods that diabetics need to avoid. In fact we would all be much healthier by paying attention to what we eat.

Believe it or not, my dog has diabetes. He drinks so much water. The vet says I just need to watch his water intake, too. He needs a lot of water, but sometimes he drinks so much that he throws it back up :(

My boyfriend's dad developed diabetes later in his life.
It would be so wonderful if these scientists will be able to make an impact in humans.
Science is so exciting. It's almost scary.

Everything is scary to me these days :eek:

Aw Buzz,

I was just having a little bowl of ice cream before I start cooking dinner! :p

:slap: I'm such a bad girl. BaHaaaaaaaa Haa Haa

Really this is simply wonderful news. My MIL had it, got cysts on her liver, sores on her legs that were really hard to heal and seemed like she was always taking meds for it!

Scandi

Wow - this sounds wonderful!

Diabetes isn't just something that's cured by getting rid of the soda and candy and chips and such - I've got gestational diabetes (maybe - or it may be type 2 that just got detected) - and trust me, it's much harder to control than just dropping all sweets. I eat meat and veggies now. No starches, no rice, no potatoes, no pasta, no fruit! except in carefully controlled moderation - a tablespoon of cooked rice is a good amount now. I blow my blood sugar by eating more than a handful of grapes! It's horrible!

Absolutely no fruit juice, candy, ice cream, cookies, etc.

Yeah, we all should eat better, but diabetes is not a disease that is just punishment, or improved control for overeaters - you can get it if you eat right, and the consequences, the side effects can be maiming or deadly. Oh, and glycemic index doesn't really work - sad but true.

(I really, really miss fruit and ice cream - I'm pregnant, I'm supposed to be able to eat that kind of stuff!)

PrayersForMaura said:
Believe it or not, my dog has diabetes. He drinks so much water. The vet says I just need to watch his water intake, too. He needs a lot of water, but sometimes he drinks so much that he throws it back up :(

My boyfriend's dad developed diabetes later in his life.
It would be so wonderful if these scientists will be able to make an impact in humans.
Science is so exciting. It's almost scary.

Everything is scary to me these days :eek:
I had a miniature schnauzer that was diabetic. I had to check his pee and decide how much insulin he needed every day. He was good about standing still so I could give him his insulin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back