US coal mine collapse traps six-Utah - Thread No. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
News Conference starting now.
Please update me as I am watching the weather channel where I have relatives in the area where water rescues are ongoing. We have calls going out to them and so far we have found most safe...but we are still worried about a couple of our own. :(

1414'--------------1586'---------------1865'-----------2039'------------
3rd----------------4th------------------2nd-------------5th--------------rescue
Hole---------------Hole----------------Hole------------hole--------------workers
CC147-<-520'->--CC143-<-780'->----CC137<-520'->CC133-<-650'->-CC128
there's 130 feet between crosscuts

Oxygen Levels not sufficient to sustain life.

Rob Moore just stated that there is a chance that the 6 miners will not be found. He also said that mine atmosphere cannot support life.

I think they are reasonable in their thinking. As horrid as it is to say it...it is what many of us have thought all along.

The second collapse reinforced my way of thinking on this. They were probably killed in the initial collapse.

They also stated in the presser the air quality was very poor in the 4th hole.

I just never wanted to give up the little hope I had left. I had seriously hoped for a miracle.

I think they are reasonable in their thinking. As horrid as it is to say it...it is what many of us have thought all along.

The second collapse reinforced my way of thinking on this. They were probably killed in the initial collapse.

For their sake, at this point, I hope you are right SS. This whole thing is so tragic. Lets hope they will not have died in vain and that this will be the impetus for real change in the mining industry.

Wishing the best for your relatives tackling the floods in Oklahoma.

For their sake, at this point, I hope you are right SS. This whole thing is so tragic. Lets hope they will not have died in vain and that this will be the impetus for real change in the mining industry.

I sincerely hope they never suffered.......the families must be beside themselves knowing they'll probably never have closure.

I sincerely hope the mining industry is made to purchase some sort of tracking devices for all miners!

SS I PM'd you about your family! Wishing you & them the best!

So are they now saying that they will no longer search for the missing miners? I havent been able to keep track of all the news confrences so I just come on here to check in once in awhile but from everyones vibes it seems they must of said something leaning towards calling off the search all together? :( (ps. I can't wrap my head around the idea of one of my sons or my husband being down there and..makes me way too depressed to even think about it)

My cousin is safe because she was out of town near here, but she isn't sure about her home or her children and grands yet. We are still waiting on word. Please keep wishing the best.

So are they now saying that they will no longer search for the missing miners? I havent been able to keep track of all the news confrences so I just come on here to check in once in awhile but from everyones vibes it seems they must of said something leaning towards calling off the search all together? :( (ps. I can't wrap my head around the idea of one of my sons or my husband being down there and..makes me way too depressed to even think about it)
Sadie~ people who work daily in the mines know their brothers have been entombed in some of those mines. They aren't as adverse to this as we are. When a person goes to work in the depths like they do...it is almost an honor if you have to perish in a disaster to be entombed there. Of course, I am not speaking for the families, but to what I have watched over the many years. As difficult as it is for everyone to fathom...if they shut down the mine and the men are still there...it is what they would have wanted because they gave everything for their job. There is so much honor among miners. They have a work ethic we shall never know.

They are going to start drilling a 5th hole which should probably have begun by now it will take approximately 55 hrs to dig. But no sign of life & the air quality is very low.

They also stated the 6 miners may never be found! Sad, sad news for sure Mygirlsadie.

I don't think they have completely given up yet, but it is clear they are quickly running out of options and are becoming resigned to the conclusion that the miners did not survive (i.e. no signal from them).

They said drill hole 5 will start this afternoon, will about 2000 feet deep, and they predict it will take about 58 hours to drill. Beyond that, they have gathered experts from all over to assess whether there is a safe way to go back into the mine. If they cannot "guaranty" a safe way back into the mine to continue trying to dig out (I can't see how they could guaranty), they will not go back in. If drill hole 5 leads to nothing, I think that will be it.

That's my take on it anyway - others that heard the press conference - I only saw CNN's brief coverage of it - feel free to add to or correct anything I've interpreted.

I agree...if there is no sign on number five hole...they have run out of options. It will be dictated by the surviving families when they quit, IMO. If the families still want them to drill...they will. The company has nothing to lose with the families if they pull out every stop to save them. They will use this in their defense to the lawsuits that will come.

Aug 19, 2007 4:12 pm US/Mountain

Dale Ray Black, age 48, died August 16, 2007 in a coal mine accident trying to rescue fellow miners trapped in the Crandall Canyon Mine disaster.

He was born August 24, 1958 in Price to Roscoe and Earlene Allred Black. Married Wendy Sitterud on September 18, 1982. "Bird" loved life. His wife and children were the most important things in his world. He loved to 4-wheeler ride, hunt, fish, and golf. The mountains and desert will never be the same without him. He loved everybody and they loved him. Selflessly Dale was dedicated to finding his fellow workers and to our misfortune died a hero in that effort. He will be deeply missed by all that knew and loved him.

Survived by his wife, Wendy Black, Huntington; daughter, Ashley (Brad) Pruitt, Salt Lake City; son, Corey Dale Black, Huntington; mother, Earlene Black; two brothers and 7 seven sisters, Lynn (Bob) Louie, Salt Lake City; Lee (Clair) Cratsenburg, Huntington; Guy (Helen) Black, Price; Jacka (Russell) Jones, Castle Dale; Drew Black, Huntington; Gayle (Steve) McDonald, Huntington; Allison (Larry) Kosikowski, Illinois; Jill (Gordon) Anderson, Salt Lake City; Roberta (John) Poglajen, Vernal; in-laws, Gene (Lorraine) Campbell; Huntington; brother and sister-in-laws, Lannie (Glenys) Sitterud, Emery; Lorrie (Robert) Denison, Huntington; Carl (Jodi) Sitterud, Cleveland. Preceded in death by his father, Roscoe Black; niece, Jera Lynn McDonald; father-in-law, Douglas Sitterud.

More at link: http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_231181417.html

Aug 19, 2007 4:08 pm US/Mountain

Gary Lynn Jensen, age 53, of Redmond, died August 16, 2007 in Provo, a victim of the mine disaster in Huntington. He was born March 17, 1954 in San Angelo, Texas, a son of Billy Joe Scott and Beth LaRene Jensen. He married Lola Jean Lambertsen, June 30, 1973 in Salina. Their marriage was solemnized in the Manti Temple March 27, 1987.

He is survived by his wife; children, Robert N. Jensen and Hailey Jensen, all of Redmond, Amy and Jason Shelley of Salem, Dustin and Autumn Jensen of Cedar City; three grandchildren; mother, Beth Barker of Salina; brothers and sisters, Neal Jensen of Santaquin, Becky Olsen, Bonnie Casto, both of Salina, Brian Barker of Caldwell, ID. He was preceded in death by a grandson, Carter Lynn Shelle;y and his grandmother, Montez Jensen.

More at link: http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_231181109.html

I hope and pray for the sake of those families that their heirs will go to school and not go into mining. Please pray for them.

My fear is that the public has been overwhelmed by the news and is less receptive to the solutions. They don't want to think about them or deal with such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam