US govt scientists say retire most research chimps

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Reader, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=6&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L6_UNEWS

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Government scientists have agreed that all but 50 of hundreds of chimpanzees kept for federally funded research should be retired from labs and sent to a national sanctuary.

The proposal from a National Institutes of Health committee also said all of the chimps should have plenty of room to play and climb.

The NIH Council of Councils Working Group on Tuesday approved the proposal, which also calls for major cuts in grants to study chimps in laboratories and no return to breeding them for research.

Already, nine chimpanzees arrived Tuesday at Chimp Haven outside Shreveport, La., from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette's New Iberia Research Center, which no longer has an NIH chimp research contract. Seven more are expected Thursday and another 95 will arrive over the coming months, sanctuary officials said.........more at link......

I'm so glad to hear this!

2. Loading...

3. michmi

michmi New Member

Wonderful!

4. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

OH THANK GOD! And yes, I'm yelling.

What a great move. As the "mom" of a lab dog, I can only see this as a good move. And I wish those chimps tons of sun, tons of playtime, and tons of healing.

Best-
    Herding Cats

5. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

I don't consider cruelty against an animal any different that against a person so a good although small step.

6. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

I must be living under a rock. I did not know we did "invasive" study on chimps or any large animals anymore. The poor chimps. I hope their new home is healthy and happy as it can be for them.

7. Nova

Nova Active Member

Good.

8. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

No, you're not under a rock. This stuff is not often discussed...and definitely not a fun topic to discuss when it comes up.

I am in the middle ground, suprisingly. I see the usefulness of testing medical stuff on animals; but not the beauty, household, or other kinds of products. I see the benefits of an approved medication saving lives...but that new color eyeshadow? Not important enough.

There have been some big strides recently with the lab testing products - Israel has, iirc, banned all products tested on animals, and there is a very big movement afoot here in the US and in Europe.

Again, I see the importance of lab animals, but only in medicine; and even that, it should be limited. What gets me is the needless euthanization of the animals after they are "finished" with the poor things...I am proof positive (or rather, Romi is) that rehabilitation and a good life CAN be had, if given the chance.

Do a quick search on research beagles and Astra-Zeneca. There are 400 beagles that Beagle Freedom Project is working very hard to get released...and that's just one group that I know of.

Shop with an eye on "never tested on animals." There are a lot of products that can be found that haven't tested on animals...and the more we purchase them and not products that have been tested on animals, we speak to the motivator - the bottom line, finances, of the companies that do test without need...

And beware that any "new, improved" items have had to go through all the testing all over again...even when the original product was tested, the new product has to repeat the testing.

Just some thoughts for a Wednesday evening...

Best-
    Herding Cats

9. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

While I think this is wonderful, I feel for those 50 that will be released. :(

10. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

If Romi is any example, the chimps will be ok. Maybe never "normal", and they'll have strange neuroses, but they will be ok.

Best-
    Herding Cats