US Sailboat Taken Hostage by Pirates

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by belimom, Feb 19, 2011.

1. belimom

belimom Our lives begin to end the day we become silent ab

This is really dear to my heart as we are sailors and hope to circumnavigate someday. I have no idea how close they were to Somalia but it seems that the pirates are roaming farther and farther into the Indian Ocean. The website for the owners is www.svquest.com and their last "Spot" location showed them on the coast of India near Mumbai six days ago. I guess they left and headed across the Indian Ocean... I hope they are released safely and not held as long as Paul and Rachel Chandler: 388 days.

2. Loading...

3. belimom

Here's the thing.... What is the best way to respond? As a fellow sailor/cruiser, I would want anything and everything done to save me/my family. However, the more ransoms that are paid, the more it perpetuates the cycle.

I think the answer is preventing (or at least reducing) situations like this from happening again by having military action against the pirates. Considering that the Suez Canal is utilized so heavily for economic/shipping reasons, the transit should be safe - and unless the destination from the canal is the Red Sea, you have to enter and/or exit into the Gulf of Aden. And that's where so many of these attacks are occurring. But piracy shows that crimes *does* pay - and I think it needs to be stopped... IMO....

4. mysticrose

mysticrose The key to change... is to let go of fear

belimom, thanks for posting about this, this is a scary situation with these pirates. I quickly clicked your link as we have friends that are out sailing around everywhere and I worry about them alot.

My husband said that the insurance companies are looking into setting up their own "military" so to speak to protect these ships that are getting hijacked, because it will be cheaper in the long run for them. Not sure where he heard about it prob. NPR I will see if I can find something about it.

My Prayers are with these people, I hope they are at the least let go unharmed, you can always replace your boat not your life......

5. mysticrose

[​IMG]

Somali pirates hijack yacht of U.S. couple on Bible mission

Pirates off the coast of Somalia have hijacked the yacht of a couple on a worldwide voyage distributing Bibles, according to Somalia's U.N. Mission.

Jean and Scott Adam have been sailing around the world for six years on their sailboat, the S/V Quest. They have raced with the Del Rey Yacht Club in Marina del Rey, which has been their mail drop during their global odyssey.

Omar Jamal, first secretary at the Somali mission, said Friday that pirates in the Indian Ocean had taken four U.S. citizens captive when they hijacked the S/V Quest, according to the Associated Press. The other two people have not been identified.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-yacht-captured-20110219,0,73608.story

6. mysticrose

Somali pirates seize yacht with four Americans onboard, military says

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The U.S. military is prepared to intervene in the situation if necessary, said Rear Adm. Charles Gaouette, deputy commander of the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet, based in Bahrain.

"They were part of a sailing group that set sail from the southern tip of India into the western Indian Ocean," he said, adding that the situation is being monitored with U.S. Central Command.

Gaouette said there is no reason to believe the hijacked yacht has been taken to the coastline of Somalia yet, though pirates in the region have been known to do so.

Another U.S. official, who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the situation, said the United States is determining what military assets are in the region and the capabilities of the personnel onboard. The official said that the pirates are believed to be on board the yacht with the Americans, and the next step would be to determine with the military could keep the yacht from reaching the shore -- either by blocking or harassing it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/19/somalia.us.yacht/?hpt=Sbin

7. belimom

Here was their planned route -- India to Oman, then stopping in Djibouti to refuel before heading into the Red Sea. Very interesting comment from their website - all cruisers know the dangers of that area and I think they knew the risk (their route keeps as far away from Somalia as possible):

[​IMG]

8. lucky181

lucky181 New Member

9. belimom

I was hoping they could be interceded by armed forced before reaching Somalia, but it is expected that they will reach Somalia tomorrow...

10. belimom

More about the rally from the link above - I really wish they would have stayed with the convoy as it's the safest way to transit those waters, if you are going to be doing so:

11. belimom

The USS Momsen may try to intervene:

12. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

That gcaptain has updated their site, they got and passed on BAD information.

"Sorry guys, but the news we got regarding the USS Momsen being at the scene of the hijacking was totally incorrect. The Momsen and her crew on homeward bound as I type this… Not sure how we got such backwards information, but as soon as we an update to this situation (from a better source this time), we’ll tell you."

13. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

I wish they had stayed in a convoy as well. And the fact that they were passing out bibles in that part of the world will not be taken lightly either, imo. I think that will be seen as a good excuse for their captors to be very hard on them. I wish they could be saved before they reach Somalia. Once they are ensconced there, it will cost a million as the starting bid.

14. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

I'm reminded of a story which was retold recently when J. Paul Getty's grandson passed away. Years ago when the younger Getty was kidnapped and ransom demanded, Mr. Getty refused to pay saying that he had 14 grandchildren and payment would put them all at higher risk. The next day, the younger Getty's ear arrived in a package. He paid.

15. belimom

That's too bad. I do think there was a chance someone would have been seriously injured if not killed during some sort of rescue mission, but I believe the benefits of trying to rescue them before they reach Somalia would have been worth the risks involved, IMHO.

I pray for their safety...

16. mysticrose

Breaking News
    U.S. Navy Trails Former Newport Beach Couple's Yacht Believed to be Overtaken by Somali Pirates

A U.S. Navy warship and helicopters are trailing a yacht they believe has been taken over by Somali pirates and is owned by a Marina del Rey couple who purposely charted a course into waters known to be teeming with bandits of the sea.

Scott and Jean Adam, who once lived in Newport Beach and have used Orange Coast College sailing students as crew members in the past, are believed to be aboard their yacht with Phyllis Macay and Bob Riggle of Seattle.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2011/02/jean_scott_adam_somalia_pirate.php

17. mysticrose

Published: Feb. 19, 2011
    Updated: Feb. 20, 2011 3:54 p.m.
    Family hopeful for couple overtaken by Somali pirates

Family and friends of those aboard the yacht hijacked by Somali pirates Friday say they are hopeful the Southern California couple and others aboard will soon be safe.
    Mark Savage, who lives on the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, said he learned that the Navy has the yacht Quest in its sight but it could not be confirmed yet with Navy officials. The yacht and its passengers were taken hostage Friday and earlier Saturday, the government said it was assessing possible responses.

"If that's true, that is great news," he wrote in an e-mail to the Register.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/couple-289018-pirates-website.html

18. mysticrose

U.S. Considers Military Action to Free O.C. Couple Held by Pirates

The United States is considering military action to obtain the release of a former Newport Beach couple captured by Somali pirates this week, CNN reported today.

The Quest, owned by Jean and Scott Adam, was among a flotilla of yachts when it was seized this week about 270 miles off the coast of Oman in the Indian Ocean. The pair had been traveling the world distributing Bibles, according to the Adams' website svquest.com.

The U.S. military is prepared to intervene in the situation if necessary, Rear Adm. Charles Gaouette, deputy commander of the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet, based in Bahrain, told CNN.

According to CNN, another U.S. official, who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the situation, said the United States is determining what military assets are in the region and the capabilities of the personnel onboard

http://sanjuancapistrano.patch.com/...tary-action-to-free-oc-couple-held-by-pirates

19. belimom

Mystic, thanks for posting those links. I've been searching for updates every 15 minutes or so, and I've seen those reports - I just wonder how you get 4 people off a sailboat without hurting someone, kwim? It's one thing for a sharpshooter to pick off pirates spread out over a large container ship, but it's a different story when they're all bunched up in the cockpit of a much smaller vessel like this sailboat, using a hostage as a shield, more than likely.

I hope they are able to stop them. They were supposed to have reached the Somali coast yesterday, and here it is Monday with no news. Actually, early early morning on Tuesday over there. I wish there was more of an update.

Prayers for their safety...

20. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

21. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member