US Supreme Court Justice Scalia, 79, found dead, 13 Feb 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Saturday that the Senate should wait until a new president is elected to confirm a replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia, whose sudden death Saturday shook Washington and threatened to reshape the 2016 presidential race.

Democrats said that with 11 months left in President Obama’s tenure, the Senate has enough time — and indeed an obligation — to confirm a replacement. Sen. Harry Reid, the top Democrat in the chamber, said it would be “shameful” to put off a replacement that long.

Mr. Obama said he would in fact make a nomination, forcing the issue on the GOP-led Senate."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/13/fight-over-antonin-scalia-replacement-heats-democr/

Do they really think they can blow off the constitution like that?! Does it mean nothing to them?! DH is rip-roaring mad!
Well the longest supreme Court confirmation process was 125 days with Brandeis, Obama has 341 days left in his presidency. Hardly a violation of the constitution.

Well the longest supreme Court confirmation process was 125 days with Brandeis, Obama has 341 days left in his presidency. Hardly a violation of the constitution.

It's more than enough time and I'm sure he has a short list ready to go.

They won't make it easy but of course he will.

Or.. we wait a year and HRC nominates BHO.

He will make the nomination but it has to be approved. Sounds like they plan to not approve anybody he nominates. Which doesn't seem fair at all. He still has a year left-plenty of time.

Or, we wait a year and a republican POTUS nominates someone like Edith Brown Clement-- confirmed 99-0 as a federal judge. Or Consuelo Maria Callahan, also confirmed 99-0.

Or Paul Clement? And he's pretty young, at only 49.

Hold on-- no matter what happens, the next 12 months will be a roller coaster!

RIP, Nino. He was a remarkable man, with an incredible life story, and a true and good friend to many (including liberals). I love the story of him and Elena Kagan going hunting together! And he and RBG were best of pals, and could not be further apart ideologically. Truly, he was a good man, an incredible mind and intellect, and loved and respected by many. And so colorful and fun to watch! How many SCOTUS's can toss out terms like "argle bargle" and get away with it?! He owns that phrase now!

He was a great example every single day of not letting politics and ideology get in the way of good human friendships. He will be missed. I can't imagine the sorrow among his staff-- he was just so loved by all. Can you imagine having to box up and clean out his offices? I wonder what will happen to Leroy? Maybe Kagan will take him and put him up. IDK. It's all very sad.

From Senator Elizabeth Warren's Facebook:

"The sudden death of Justice Scalia creates an immediate vacancy on the most important court in the United States.

Senator McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.

Article II Section 2 of the Constitution says the President of the United States nominates justices to the Supreme Court, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I can't find a clause that says "...except when there's a year left in the term of a Democratic President."

Senate Republicans took an oath just like Senate Democrats did. Abandoning the duties they swore to uphold would threaten both the Constitution and our democracy itself. It would also prove that all the Republican talk about loving the Constitution is just that — empty talk."

https://www.facebook.com/senatorelizabethwarren/posts/557279941101170

The Democrats have rejected plenty of Republican President's Supreme Court nominees so wring out your crying towels.

"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Saturday that the Senate should wait until a new president is elected to confirm a replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia, whose sudden death Saturday shook Washington and threatened to reshape the 2016 presidential race.

Democrats said that with 11 months left in President Obama’s tenure, the Senate has enough time — and indeed an obligation — to confirm a replacement. Sen. Harry Reid, the top Democrat in the chamber, said it would be “shameful” to put off a replacement that long.

Mr. Obama said he would in fact make a nomination, forcing the issue on the GOP-led Senate."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/feb/13/fight-over-antonin-scalia-replacement-heats-democr/

Do they really think they can blow off the constitution like that?! Does it mean nothing to them?! DH is rip-roaring mad!

So am I, especially when McConnell got in a Republican nomination in the past (not sure if that was Scalia). Scalia was a Reagan appointee!

The Democrats have rejected plenty of Republican President's Supreme Court nominees so wring out your crying towels.

Republicans plan to reject the nominee before they even know who the nominee is.

He will make the nomination but it has to be approved. Sounds like they plan to not approve anybody he nominates. Which doesn't seem fair at all. He still has a year left-plenty of time.

Sounds like they once again don't want to do their jobs.

Or, we wait a year and a republican POTUS nominates someone like Edith Brown Clement-- confirmed 99-0 as a federal judge. Or Consuelo Maria Callahan, also confirmed 99-0.

Or Paul Clement? And he's pretty young, at only 49.

Hold on-- no matter what happens, the next 12 months will be a roller coaster!

RIP, Nino. He was a remarkable man, with an incredible life story, and a true and good friend to many (including liberals). I love the story of him and Elena Kagan going hunting together! And he and RBG were best of pals, and could not be further apart ideologically. Truly, he was a good man, an incredible mind and intellect, and loved and respected by many. And so colorful and fun to watch! How many SCOTUS's can toss out terms like "argle bargle" and get away with it?! He owns that phrase now!

He was a great example every single day of not letting politics and ideology get in the way of good human friendships. He will be missed. I can't imagine the sorrow among his staff-- he was just so loved by all. Can you imagine having to box up and clean out his offices? I wonder what will happen to Leroy? Maybe Kagan will take him and put him up. IDK. It's all very sad.

And we Dems will be laughing if the Republicans risk stalling now, lose the election, and we still get to nominate the appointee!!!:loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

Just keep in mind that the SCOTUS will still hear the cases they planned to hear this year before Scalia's death. And when (not if) they deadlock 4-4, the ruling of the lower court will stand.

That's pretty significant, especially for the immigration executive order that they are going to hear.

While my heart goes out to those who loved Scalia for their loss, I cannot find one iota of sorrow in my soul for the death of someone who favored executing mentally retarded people.

And was in a position to establish such a barbaric practice as law of the land. Thankfully, he did not.

I agree. I think my post wasn't clear enough.

"The sudden death of Justice Scalia creates an immediate vacancy on the most important court in the United States.

Senator McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.

Article II Section 2 of the Constitution says the President of the United States nominates justices to the Supreme Court, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I can't find a clause that says "...except when there's a year left in the term of a Democratic President."

Senate Republicans took an oath just like Senate Democrats did. Abandoning the duties they swore to uphold would threaten both the Constitution and our democracy itself. It would also prove that all the Republican talk about loving the Constitution is just that — empty talk."

But the problem is that they're going to block confirmation of nominees... Is the constitution only important when it's pushing their agenda? I think not.

BBM
Exactly my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads