USDA recalls 143 million pounds of frozen beef

I cant watch it for fear of crying all night. Its so depressing.

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_8266570

San Bernardino County prosecutors are expected to announce today the filing of criminal charges against two employees of a Chino slaughterhouse suspected of abusing sick and injured cows.

The charges would come more than two weeks after the Humane Society of the United States released an undercover video that appears to show abuses at the Westland/Hallmark Meat Co.

-------

Daniel Navarro of Pomona and Luis Sanchez of Chino are expected to be named in an 11-count complaint accusing them of felony animal cruelty and the illegal moving of crippled cows.

Investigators contend Navarro and Sanchez are two of the men seen on the video jabbing a cow in the eye with a stick, ramming another with a forklift, excessively prodding another with an electric zapper, and squirting another in the nose and mouth with a high-pressure water hose.

On the video, it appears the men used the tactics to force crippled cows onto their feet.

They way the animals are treated is depressing indeed.

and how depressing it will be if humans contract BSE.

I know it. How can people do this?? How can they mistreat animals and risk infecting the human population? Some things I will never understand.:confused:

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_8266570

San Bernardino County prosecutors are expected to announce today the filing of criminal charges against two employees of a Chino slaughterhouse suspected of abusing sick and injured cows.

The charges would come more than two weeks after the Humane Society of the United States released an undercover video that appears to show abuses at the Westland/Hallmark Meat Co.

-------

Daniel Navarro of Pomona and Luis Sanchez of Chino are expected to be named in an 11-count complaint accusing them of felony animal cruelty and the illegal moving of crippled cows.

Investigators contend Navarro and Sanchez are two of the men seen on the video jabbing a cow in the eye with a stick, ramming another with a forklift, excessively prodding another with an electric zapper, and squirting another in the nose and mouth with a high-pressure water hose.

On the video, it appears the men used the tactics to force crippled cows onto their feet.

I hope these men receive severe punishment.

It probably being accessed by many at this moment in time. it's very, very sad. the film. :(

OMG, finally was able to pull up video, those poor animals. Just makes sick to think someone could actually do these horrific things to a defenseless animal. I'm not a big meat eater anyway, but don't know if I can ever eat meat again after watching video! I had never heard the term "Downer Cows," before yesterday, I feel so sorry for them. I hope those employees are given same treatment as they gave those poor animals. :furious:

I started this thread because of the recall and not noticing the abuse. When I saw that there was a video I didn't watch.
Last nite in bed I decided to watch some news before going to sleep and I switched to CNN and to my horror they were playing the abuse footage. I didn't sleep well.

There is so much animal abuse in this world, it really upsets me. I donate monthly to the SPCA for this reason. Even though I started this thread, I don't think I'll be able to come back.

(CNN) -- Federal officials are trying to track down the 143 million pounds of beef recalled Sunday, but they say that most of it has probably been eaten.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/02/18/beef.recall/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

While the two may have abused the animals to get them up to kill them...(Like killing them isn't abuse?!)...the real crime here is that the company knew they had cattle which was suspect and did nothing about it!! The company should be shut down, imo. The owners of the company and the people responsible should be the ones going to jail.

Mad Cow disease is extremely serious and they didn't want to lose their business. They should be charged!

I started this thread because of the recall and not noticing the abuse. When I saw that there was a video I didn't watch.
Last nite in bed I decided to watch some news before going to sleep and I switched to CNN and to my horror they were playing the abuse footage. I didn't sleep well.

There is so much animal abuse in this world, it really upsets me. I donate monthly to the SPCA for this reason. Even though I started this thread, I don't think I'll be able to come back.
HI JIlly, I tried starting a discussion about this weeks ago but could not generate any interest. I am glad this is finally getting some attention. Thank you so much for posting.

I'm not watching the video. I get upset me when I hear about food fights at schools. These animals gave their lives for food and kids are throwing it around at each other. I couldn't bear to see what additional misery is involved by viewing a slaughterhouse.
I am vegan, but my loved ones aren't and together we are concerned about the treatment of the cattle and BSE.

The abuse is just so unnecessary. I'm not buying for one minute that Hallmark didn't know this was occurring at their facility. This isn't about a couple of rouge employees, but an industry culture.

They are so busted.

HI JIlly, I tried starting a discussion about this weeks ago but could not generate any interest. I am glad this is finally getting some attention. Thank you so much for posting.
I agree the abuse, and cruelty, is completely uncalled for, but I do question the necessity, or advisability of recalling 143 million pounds of beef; it just seems like so much waste. They said the potential for actual problems with the beef, is essentially nil.

Plus this is said to be beef, that was processed over the last two years, probably most of which has already been eaten.

YW but if I had known about your thread before you mentioned it above I would have posted my link to yours instead of starting a new thread!:banghead: So! Sorry about this! Maybe the Mods can amalgamate the two threads.

YW but if I had known about your thread before you mentioned it above I would have posted my link to yours instead of starting a new thread!:banghead: So! Sorry about this! Maybe the Mods can amalgamate the two threads.
I don't think it matters one tiny bit that there are 2 threads As long as one is being read! I am just glad people are taking note. It was infiltrating so many states I was afraid it would slip by unnoticed.

Which fast food chains received the meat? I can't seem to find that info :confused:

Trish

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back