UT - 5.7 magnitude earthquake, Salt Lake County, 18 Mar 2020

Magna Main Street businesses still closed, assessing damage after earthquake

Posted: 10:32 PM, Mar 19, 2020
Updated: 12:32 AM, Mar 20, 2020

MAGNA, Utah — Owners of buildings on Magna Main Street damaged in Wednesday's earthquake returned to Main Street Thursday, to see what it'll take to get back up and running.

A several-block span of the street is still shut down to the public, and none of the businesses are open.

The historic Main Street is a unique corner of the Salt Lake Valley. Most of the buildings date back a century.

"A lot of people don't know about downtown Magna," building owner Brandis Touhuni said. "It's kind of the heart of our community."

Except right now, there's a different kind of history on Magna Main-- one made just a day ago.

"It was a little bit of a gut punch," said Charlie Colosimo. "But, we realized that this building is not a spring chicken."

Colosimo and his brother own Colosimo's Standard Market, which has been open in their Main Street building since 1961. Colosimo explained that his dad started the business as a grocery store and deli, but evolved into a sausage, seasonings and equipment company.

They've managed to survive recessions and big-box store competition. It took an earthquake to shut the business down, even if temporarily.

"It's been red-flagged for right now," Colosimo said. "And what you see behind me, the structural damage, is the biggest blow that we've taken."

Down the street from Colosimo's, damage to the building next door to the Empress Theater, is even worse.

Magna Main Street businesses still closed, assessing damage after earthquake

Tooele City police relocate after concerns over structural integrity of building

19 mar 2020

[...]

“As a result of the earthquake yesterday, we have concerns over the structural integrity of our police department,” said a Facebook post from the Tooele City Police Department. “As such, we have moved to our new police department early, located at 50 N. Garden Street. We ask for the public’s patience as we complete this transition.”

Office services will be put on hold temporarily, such as fingerprints, sex offender updates, and releasing police reports.

If you need to speak with an officer, call Tooele County dispatch at 435-882-5600 #1.

“Our patrol teams are still active within our community, ensuring the safety of our citizens,” the post said. “Thank you for your patience and understanding!”

Tooele City police relocate after concerns over structural integrity of building | Gephardt Daily

19 mar 2020

[...]

Since Wednesday morning, officers have been frantically moving things out of this building because large cracks appeared in the foundation and structurally important walls.

“All of a sudden, we hear a large rumbling noise and the building started shaking. It felt like it was swaying back and forth,” Det. Colbey Bentley said.

Other officers heard the sound of concrete breaking.

[...]

“After we found the damage to our building, it became a much more dire situation and knew we had to get our stuff to the new police department,” Sgt. Jeremy Hansen said.

The city was close to finishing a brand new station that was set to open April 6. Now, the entire department moved in nearly three weeks early.

“We have no phones, no internet, we have no servers,” Sgt. Hansen said.

Tooele City Police Department severely damaged during 5.7 earthquake

Earthquake anxiety? Utah Emergency Management says calm down and take action.

[...]

If you’re experiencing sleeplessness, nervousness, lack of focus, feeling “phantom” earthquakes or asking “endless” questions, then, yes, you may have anxiety, according to the division’s Twitter account and Facebook page.

[...]

1/— Utah Emergency Mgmt (@UtahEmergency) March 23, 2020
“You need to know this is completely normal,” the division tweeted. “If it’s your loved one or friend, please be kind and caring. Please listen to them. Stay open. Be patient. Anxiety can’t be forced away. It doesn’t have a set timeline.”

And the division offered a series of facts to try to “ease earthquake anxiety”:

• The state experienced more than 2,300 earthquakes in 2019, but most were so small no one felt them. Most of the aftershocks from Wednesday’s quake haven’t been felt (although many felt a magnitude 3.1 at 8:12 a.m. on Monday morning and a magnitude 3.94 Sunday night). So Utahns “have survived more earthquakes than you can possibly imagine.”

• While the aftershocks are expected to continue for “days or weeks,” that is “completely normal and does not mean a stronger or larger earthquake is coming.”

• Wednesday’s Magna quake resulted in some damage and no deaths or injuries. “We got through it with a memorable wake-up call.”

• The aftershocks will “subside and become less frequent” and “anxiety will begin to fade.”

Earthquake anxiety? Utah Emergency Management says calm down and take action.

@Suzi Q hope you're doing ok and your home is safe without too much damage. We experienced a similar set of quakes in Zagreb on Sunday so I can truly understand how crazy the world must feel for you and everyone else in SLC. Did we wake up in an alternate dimension? My entire household has a bit of PTSD and the aftershocks aren't helping. Every truck driving by that makes the windows shake a little sends the animals into a frenzy. It begs a lot of introspection to realize how easy it is to train ourselves to face criminality and death, but the primal fear that goes along with experiencing a natural event so much larger than ourselves cannot be reckoned with.
Many of us are without gas for heat and naturally our 70F days have dropped to 32F with snow, just because hell must truly need to freeze over before humanity wakes up and starts dealing with everything better, but this too shall pass.

@Suzi Q hope you're doing ok and your home is safe without too much damage. We experienced a similar set of quakes in Zagreb on Sunday so I can truly understand how crazy the world must feel for you and everyone else in SLC. Did we wake up in an alternate dimension? My entire household has a bit of PTSD and the aftershocks aren't helping. Every truck driving by that makes the windows shake a little sends the animals into a frenzy. It begs a lot of introspection to realize how easy it is to train ourselves to face criminality and death, but the primal fear that goes along with experiencing a natural event so much larger than ourselves cannot be reckoned with.
Many of us are without gas for heat and naturally our 70F days have dropped to 32F with snow, just because hell must truly need to freeze over before humanity wakes up and starts dealing with everything better, but this too shall pass.

Omg, @Vail ! We are feeling the same as you. You got hit worse than we did. Are the Gods angry with us or what? We had an earthquake swarm overnight and this morning. The largest was 3.3, and much closer to my house. I feel like it is a constant rolling. I wish it would stop. My DD and her husband visited Zagreb last summer and loved it. They hope to make it back there.

Last edited:
My husband and I are okay. The stress of everything is getting to me a bit. Hoping things settle down moving forward. Thanks so much for checking in. It matters and I really appreciate you❤️

Another 4.2 aftershock this morning. Very strongly felt. The depth was deeper than Tuesday’s event. A bottle of syrup fell off a shelf in my kitchen.
Recent Earthquake Map | U of U Seismograph Stations

Ironically, today is “The Great Shakeout”, the day we prepare for earthquakes in Utah. I’ve never done this at home before, and certainly never during a pandemic with a husband with cancer... We’ll see what kind of muted stress and anxiety I can bring to the table at 10:15am mst when those awful alerts start sounding off

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back