Found Deceased UT-5 -Year-Old Elizabeth Shelley Found Deceased (UNCLE ARRESTED) #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
@riolove77 it’d be awesome if he’d go directly to prison, skipping trial. Probably won’t happen though, he is young & immature & it seems he’s justified his acts of evil.

Hopefully this inspires LE to pick probation violators up sooner than later, when they suddenly go awol, there’s usually a reason.
Moo

Yes it would but it is hard to find these guys, particularly when they’re transients. Often we get them on warrants only after they’ve committed another crime, because that’s how they’re located.

I don't think the mother is to blame. He was her brother who, most likely never did anything sketchy regarding the children, so how could she really expect this outcome? There are many people with substance abuse problems and/or mental health issues that are functional and generally safe in family settings. This saddens me, because she was obviously trying to be supportive of her brother. He was in her home, drinking and playing video games in a safe environment, he wasn't out on the streets doing God knows what with God knows who. And Lizzy was safe too, in her bed. The family had no reason to believe he would do something like this. Her mother didn't put Lizzy in a dangerous sittuation. Nothing can excuse what he did. He knows right from wrong. I feel very sorry for her poor mother.

I want to clarify about the insanity defense discussions going on. It is SO hard to successfully lodge one of these defenses. His actions surrounding the murder alone make it very unlikely he could win on such a defense. Further, there will have to be a vast amount of expertise that also determines he is insane, which he is not. I wouldn’t be surprised if the defense posits this as their tactic; what other option has he given them? They know he did it so it won’t be a “who done it” type of defense. Rather, it’ll be “yes he did, but here’s why he’s insane and not culpable”. But in my professional opinion (I’m a prosecutor), it won’t work. He’s not insane, he’s just evil.
I agree but isn’t it always these types that try this defense?
Any way to blame something or someone else for their actions - they are gonna take it!

Body thought to be missing five-year-old Utah girl found hours after uncle charged with murder
Court appearance Monday. I'm hoping this goes the way of JP - plead guilty and LWOP. JMO

I hope the same but am not holding my breath.

A statement or two by his attorney left me feeling he is laying the groundwork for a defense or at minimum leaving the options for a defense open.

JP was a surprise in that way and it still surprises me he did that. Defendants facing life have nothing to lose I guess so they go for that last chance, a trial.

That being said, again, I hope so too but I am not counting on it.

How horrible to be both family of the victim and the perpetrator. My heart goes out to the family.

I hope the same but am not holding my breath.

A statement or two by his attorney left me feeling he is laying the groundwork for a defense or at minimum leaving the options for a defense open.

JP was a surprise in that way and it still surprises me he did that. Defendants facing life have nothing to lose I guess so they go for that last chance, a trial.

That being said, again, I hope so too but I am not counting on it.

How horrible to be both family of the victim and the perpetrator. My heart goes out to the family.
Maybe he can use the “prescribed glasses” excuse JP tried. No chance of it working though. Moo

Often we get them on warrants only after they’ve committed another crime, because that’s how they’re located.
. Yup, just like this case. Where I live, they do make more of an effort to find them, only because most are repeat offenders.

I don't think the mother is to blame. He was her brother who, most likely never did anything sketchy regarding the children, so how could she really expect this outcome?
Certainly the mom isn’t to blame as she didn’t invite him over hoping he would kidnap & murder her child. We dont know of/can’t discuss Alex’s past behavior with his niece, I’m sure LE will investigate.
Moo

Maybe he can use the “prescribed glasses” excuse JP tried. No chance of it working though. Moo

They can try, fat chance, I agree.

I think JP's defense attorneys were really hemmed in without much leeway in what they could do, he had confessed, wanted to plead guilty, etc.

I guess it was creative if nothing else lol.

I expect he will change counsel, going with a court appointed team, if he opts for trial.
Sounds as if his current attorney is well acquainted with the family & possibly helped them thru this ordeal & was thankfully able to ”speak to Alex”, in a way no one else could, bringing a bit of closure for the family.
He’s not getting out of prison so I doubt his family want to ante up resources for a murder defense. Jmo

I expect he will change counsel, going with a court appointed team, if he opts for trial.
Sounds as if his current attorney is well acquainted with the family & possibly helped them thru this ordeal & was thankfully able to ”speak to Alex”, in a way no one else could, bringing a bit of closure for the family.
He’s not getting out of prison so I doubt his family want to ante up resources for a murder defense. Jmo

I agree, he has no assets and he would qualify no doubt. Paying for a murder defense can wipe out even a well off family and, as you say, the odds are against it doing any good--he is going away for life. IMO.

I agree but isn’t it always these types that try this defense?
Any way to blame something or someone else for their actions - they are gonna take it!

I haven’t looked at sentencing guidelines but LWOP sounds great.
He’s a menace to society, his previous crimes though not serious, reveal he has zero regard for the law, preferring to walk on the other side of it.
So, a 70sq ft box with stainless steel appliances, provided by Utah is all he deserves, imo.

I do feel at this point he would go to Trial yet a part of me wonders if he wants exactly what he did to Lizzy become part of another "deal"

Maybe his current atty/friend can persuade him to plead guilty. Possibly he has agreed to do so already? Maybe that with body location was part of the deal?
Doing so would be best for his family, the family short one member, because of his evilness. Moo

This one really hurts.

They all hurt :/

Out of hundreds of millions of adults, there are bound to be men too broken to understand what they are doing, or men too selfish to care if they hurt others ... but for the children who have to endure it, that doesn't matter.

For Lizzie, or all the others, it doesn't matter.

They are children. They are supposed to grow up believing in magic.

They are supposed to, for at least a few more years past 5, believe their parents can protect them. In most cases they can ... but in cases like this?

This one hurts because its so completely senseless. Because the parents couldn't have known. The perp went and played video games and drank with the victims family. Asked to crash on their couch. And then at some point, murdered their little girl.

He didn't legitimately cover his tracks, he wasn't acting or behaving rationally in concealing what he did ... and for some reason that, the senselessness and lack of awareness, seems to make it so much harder for me. Like if he'd been more aware, Lizzie would still be alive. So is his lack of awareness the only reason she's gone? That's ... absolutely horrible.

I do believe we are getting better. Statistically the safety of our children is a historical phenomenon. But it's not enough. It's not enough for Lizzie, or for the little ones who are alive today, and won't be next month because they happen to be related to a broken sociopath.

So yeah. Im really struggling. My littles are asleep, safe in their beds, as Lizzie should be. I mourn for her family and I mourn for what these tragedies represent for all of us. God ... I mourn for her. For the 6th birthday she won't have. For the silly drawings, the first crushes, for the warm summer days. I just wish we could all believe in magic a little longer.

I don't think the mother is to blame. He was her brother who, most likely never did anything sketchy regarding the children, so how could she really expect this outcome? There are many people with substance abuse problems and/or mental health issues that are functional and generally safe in family settings. This saddens me, because she was obviously trying to be supportive of her brother. He was in her home, drinking and playing video games in a safe environment, he wasn't out on the streets doing God knows what with God knows who. And Lizzy was safe too, in her bed. The family had no reason to believe he would do something like this. Her mother didn't put Lizzy in a dangerous sittuation. Nothing can excuse what he did. He knows right from wrong. I feel very sorry for her poor mother.

Her mother will no doubt live with the guilt of inviting evil into her home. That is a pain that never goes away and will never heal.

My own mother still, 40 + years later, is devastated that her father (my grandfather) molested me when she left me with my grandparents while she went to therapy after my father passed away.

That being said, please please please, I beg of all of you not to make this same mistake. Nobody wants to believe their own family would hurt their child. Call it denial, call it whatever. We have to do better to protect our kids. If Lizzys story can help just one sister, brother, mother, or father realize that evil is sometimes closer than we want to believe it is. Keep anyone with alcohol, substance abuse, violent behaviors, history of abuse, etc. away from our children. That’s it, bottom line, they lose the honor of being in the presence of the most susceptible members of our family.

I can only imagine what is going through her mothers mind. Anything a bunch of strangers on the internet say will never compare to the guilt she will carry with her the rest of her days.

Last edited:
Agreed. It is only natural to try to blame someone when something this unbelievable happens. If JW had sent him on his way after a night of drinking and he killed someone else people would say “why didn’t his sister just let him sleep on the couch”. Blame lies with the moster who committed this crime. If he really wanted to commit this crime he would have found a way whether she let him stay or not. If anyone thinks they need to convince this mother to feel guilty, I assure you she doesn’t need the help. She will probably never forgive herself, despite not being responsible for this. MOO

I think (not a mental health professional) that AW is absolutely damaged and has mental health issues. I also think he is not legally insane.

His abducting Lizzie from the home, his hiding of her bloodied clothes, his hiding her body, his lies about whereabouts to LE, his attempts (uggh) to lick the dried blood evidence from his hands while sitting in the interview room, are all IMO evidence of his consciousness of guilt both during and after the crime. ie. He knew what he did was wrong and therefore took pains to hide it and try to distance himself from it.

I think he is an angry young man. I think he may have been intensely jealous of Lizzie's childhood, his sister's little family, where from all reports there was love. I think little Lizzie represented to him all he had been denied as a child. She was loved, she was protected. Nobody ever did that for him. Why should she get that?

My heart breaks for Lizzie's mama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member