GUILTY UT - Destiny Norton, 5, Salt Lake City, 16 July 2006

So I'm a cruel parent because I had silver caps put on my child? That's a pretty strong judgement. FYI - 4 of them + anesthesia, etc. cost around $1,000 several years ago. Not cheap, maybe more or less $ depending on where you live and what sort of dental insurance you have. Silver caps are also more sturdy than the "white" ones - they need to last several years and I wouldn't want to put any child through that twice.

I also think it was odd that they let her storm out of the house in that kind of neighborhood, especially at night. I'm also probably pretty jaded in my views, because I'd guess most people wouldn't be entertaining any doubts about the parents story ('cept many of us who visit here and know of so many similar stories).

Marie said:
So I'm a cruel parent because I had silver caps put on my child? That's a pretty strong judgement. . . .
Just to clarify my previous post: I commented on the part of that post which I quoted and that part did not include the remark about being cruel. I hope I did not give you the impression that I thought you to be cruel.

docwho3 said:
Just to clarify my previous post: I commented on the part of that post which I quoted and that part did not include the remark about being cruel. I hope I did not give you the impression that I thought you to be cruel.
Thanks, I appreciate your clarification, and I should have quoted the OP who made the statement. No harm done. :)

This just out.....

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640195966,00.html

Rachael Norton told the Deseret Morning News she would go to the Salt Lake City Police Department today to give a DNA sample. She and her husband, Rick Norton, have been questioned repeatedly. They both passed polygraph tests, she said.

"As far as they're concerned, we're not suspects anymore," she said.
More pieces of potential evidence were taken from the Nortons' Central City house, near 700 South and 500 East, Tuesday afternoon.

Norton said the family was in the process of remodeling their basement, so they allowed Destiny to fingerpaint on the wall. Investigators cut out an approximately 2-foot-by-2-foot piece of drywall from the basement that included some of the artwork. Norton said Destiny's palm print was on the wall.
A technician from the Utah State Crime Lab was also seen taking a large pink, rolled-up piece of poster board from the house. There appeared to be more of Destiny's drawings on the poster board.

Rachael Norton told the Deseret Morning News she would go to the Salt Lake City Police Department today to give a DNA sample. She and her husband, Rick Norton, have been questioned repeatedly. They both passed polygraph tests, she said.

"As far as they're concerned, we're not suspects anymore," she said.
More pieces of potential evidence were taken from the Nortons' Central City house, near 700 South and 500 East, Tuesday afternoon.

Norton said the family was in the process of remodeling their basement, so they allowed Destiny to fingerpaint on the wall. Investigators cut out an approximately 2-foot-by-2-foot piece of drywall from the basement that included some of the artwork. Norton said Destiny's palm print was on the wall.
A technician from the Utah State Crime Lab was also seen taking a large pink, rolled-up piece of poster board from the house. There appeared to be more of Destiny's drawings on the poster board.
Police and FBI agents seized four bags of undisclosed items as evidence from a Dumpster behind Destiny's home Monday. That evidence is now being analyzed, police said.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=368787

I heard on the news today that the police are focusing on the block the family lives on and the block just west of the family's home. The family and friends are expanding their search.

snip
"More than 75 volunteers have showed up to help the family search for Destiny this morning. They plan to expand the search to the Millcreek area and Emigration Canyon. Volunteers also will go door-to-door, asking people to look around their homes. "

"Meantime, police are focusing their search on two specific areas-- the block where the Norton family lives and the block directly west of their home. "

On another forum I read that there was no argument and no storming out of the house on Destiny's part. Instead, the story was that she went out to play and never came back inside so her parents began looking for her. I've not read that in any of the articles linked here. Has anyone else heard this? I am wondering if there are indeed two stories floating around about what happened to Destiny or if maybe the poster on the other forum got two stories confused.

dulcinea said:
On another forum I read that there was no argument and no storming out of the house on Destiny's part. Instead, the story was that she went out to play and never came back inside so her parents began looking for her. I've not read that in any of the articles linked here. Has anyone else heard this? I am wondering if there are indeed two stories floating around about what happened to Destiny or if maybe the poster on the other forum got two stories confused.

I'm sorry, but either way, who let's a kid that age go outside night or day for either reason????

joanofarc said:
. . .Rachael Norton told the Deseret Morning News . . . .
"As far as they're concerned, we're not suspects anymore," she said."
I seldom take the persons word that they are not a suspect but I pay more attention to what L.E. say about the matter. At this point the quotes by L.E. seem to be a bit ambiguous.

. . .Burbank would not comment on possible suspects or who may have been cleared in the case. He noted the family was not under suspicion. . .
Not "under suspicion" and yet perhaps not yet all cleared either. Refusing to comment on who may or may not have been cleared seems odd since he had to know that question was asked, at least in part, to see if the family has been cleared of possible involvement. Perhaps we will learn more as time goes on.

At least things sound a bit hopeful of the family being uninvolved. I hope the evidence taken from the home helps find the little girl.

dulcinea said:
Yes, I've heard both stories. In the middle of this news story http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_198085857.html it says "Officers say little Destiny Norton went missing from her home around 8:30 Sunday night near 700 South and 500 East near Trolley Square. Police said she disappeared from her front porch after arguing with her parents about having to go to bed. The girl's mother denied there was any kind of fight."

I've seen similar quotes in other stories. Not sure which is the more accurate version.

Jul 19, 2006 12:07 pm

As the search for five-year-old Destiny Norton enters its third day – the FBI interviews her parents once again.

Ricky and Rachael Norton underwent more questioning Wednesday, according to FBI Spokesperson Bob Wright, who also told 2News that the bureau would continue to interview the parents as long as the investigation continues.

Officials say both of Destiny's parents passed polygraph tests.

more at the link http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_198085857.html

Maybe it has been explained, but I can't seem to find it.........
Why does she have green streaks in her hair?

They held a press conference this afternoon. Before the police representative started speaking, the news reporter said that some reporters have been inside Destiny's house and that it's "not a pretty picture". He doesn't elaborate further at that point, but about halfway through the video he asks the police about the "rather squalid conditions" inside the home. The police representative declines to answer.

It's not in the print part of the report, but it is only in the video. http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_198085857.html

I don't know what any of this means, I just know what I've heard on the news. It sounds as though the police are just encouraging people to help search for Destiny. They did state that they are looking for a child who is still alive.

I don't want to get o/t, but what is "bottle rot"? Is it when a baby is just allowed to walk around with a bottle in her mouth all the time and causes the teeth to go bad or come in already bad?

Nice picture of her in front of the rebel flag. :rolleyes:

OT: I think bottle rot is usually caused when parents give their babies and toddlers milk or juice to get them to go to sleep. The acids stay in their mouths all night and dissolves their tooth enamel. I had this when I was a little kid-- I went back on the bottle when my twin sisters were born-- and I had to get two silver caps on my teeth. It's not uncommon, and it doesn't have any reflection on the parents, at least in my opinion. /OT
Elizabeth Smart recently commented on this case: "Never give up. Who knows where I would be today if my family had given up on me and all the other people." Hopefully Destiny will come home SAFE just like Elizabeth did.

Link: http://www.abc4.com/local_news/local_headlines/story.aspx?content_id=5AAC82E0-2926-41B3-BDE0-33D3BE9F9889

SLPD Search For 'Alive' Child, New Details Emerge

(KUTV) SALT LAKE CITY The Salt Lake City Police Department on Wednesday said it is looking for a missing five-year-old girl -- based on the presumption that she is still alive. Meanwhile, new details emerged as to how Destiny Norton may have disappeared from her home.

Police originally said the girl walked away from the front porch area after arguing with her parents about having to go to bed. However, on Wednesday, Norton family spokesperson Jeannie Hill said Destiny actually went out the back door.

According to Hill, the family believes Destiny walked out the back door and into a "dog run." From there she was likely able to get into the back yard and walk away. 2News has not been able to confirm this scenario with authorities.

During an afternoon press conference, when asked if the department has changed its theory about what happened to Destiny, Salt Lake City Police Spokesperson Robin Snyder only said the department is looking for a girl who is still alive.

More at link:
http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_198085857.html

Just one more quick note on the teeth capping topic. My triplets are now five and one has bad teeth. Rather than taking a chance of of having speech problems we decided to have them capped. The other two triplets had nice teeth, until one started using albuterol, for asthma, his front two started to decay from the medication. The youngest triplet had teeth by the time he was four months, and still has perfect teeth. Just wanted to bring up a couple of other issues that may cause children to have caps. Also my child has never been made fun of by other children for having caps.

newkid said:
Yes, I've heard both stories. In the middle of this news story http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_198085857.html it says "Officers say little Destiny Norton went missing from her home around 8:30 Sunday night near 700 South and 500 East near Trolley Square. Police said she disappeared from her front porch after arguing with her parents about having to go to bed. The girl's mother denied there was any kind of fight."

I've seen similar quotes in other stories. Not sure which is the more accurate version.

Destiny's mother and grandmother were on Nancy Grace tonight (or should I say last night?) . The mother says the one year old and Destiny both wanted to sit in her lap and that there was no argument. Here's a link to the transcript:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0607/19/ng.01.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back