UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we knew more about the sighting of Dylan at the Saddle Sore Bar in Montello. Did he arrive with anyone? Did he drive his own vehicle there? Did he leave with anyone? Was he seen drinking? How long was he at the bar?

IMO his time at the Saddle Sore is key to figuring out what may have happened and who else, if anyone, might be involved in his disappearance.

From the Official Page by Dylan's family, they are requesting dedicated assistance specifically from Elko County, NV LE.

IMO, I think Elko County Sheriff recognizes Box Elder County Sheriff as the lead given Dylan's residence and probably lack of credible information providing Dylan was last seen in Elko County. MOO

Elko County Sheriff's Office

June 2 at 6:16 PM ·
On June 1, 2022, the Elko County Sheriff’s Office was made aware of missing person Dylan Rounds from Box Elder County, Utah.
Detectives from the Elko County Sheriff’s Office are currently assisting the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office with their investigation and the disappearance of Mr. Rounds.
If you have any information, please call one of the listed phone numbers on the flyer.

When adults go missing, it's not unusual for LE to accept a missing person report, conduct a search around the residence, often relying on the assistance of others, and not provide dedicated assistance sought by the family if they do not believe there's evidence of foul play to open a criminal investigation. IMO, LE sees this as a suspicious missing person investigation. We know authorities took Dylan's boots, allegedly found with blood on them for testing, and perhaps the results of the test may change the course of the investigation.

I believe Lucin is located in Box Elder County, an area with limited resources. Relative to the comment on the Official Page that Land Management could be available for assistance, the BLM is responsible for managing all federally owned property in the U.S. Reportedly, nearly half of all land managed by BML is primarily found in two states: Alaska, 29%, and Nevada, 19%. I'm not yet familiar with the territory surrounding this case other than Lucin being located at the NV border but I suspect property managed by BLM is not too distant from Dylan's ranch or the area he's believed to have last been seen. MOO

On the Box Elder County property map, a lot of the parcels surrounding the Rounds land are listed as being owned by the United States of America which may indicate BLM land. One of these is kitty corner to Dylan’s farm. Another nearby parcel is shown as belonging to the STATE OF UTAH.
There seems to be a lot of dispersed camping in the area. That may indicate transients, druggies, homeless folks roaming around in addition to legitimate road trippers/campers who are visiting the area. Perhaps Dylan ran afoul of one of these folks, perhaps one was the barefoot stranger.
In most of the areas where dispersed camping is allowed, there is no record of who is camping there. You simply pull in and set up camp.

DISPERSED CAMPING​

Camping on public lands away from developed recreation facilities is referred to as dispersed camping. Most of the remainder of public lands are open to dispersed camping, as long as it does not conflict with other authorized uses or in areas posted "closed to camping," or in some way adversely affects wildlife species or natural resources.

Dispersed camping is allowed on public land for a period not to exceed 14 days within a 28 consecutive day period. The 28 day period begins when a camper initially occupies a specific location on public lands. The 14 day limit may be reached either through a number of separate visits or through 14 days of continuous overnight occupation during the 28 day period. After the 14th day of occupation, the camper must move outside of a 25 mile radius of the previous location until the 29th day since the initial occupation. The purpose of this special rule is to prevent damage to sensitive resources caused by continual use of any particular areas. In addition, campers must not leave any personal property unattended for more than 10 days (12 months in Alaska).

Campsite Selection​

Dispersed camp sites are located along most secondary roads and may not be marked. Popular locations can be recognized by the telltale flat disturbed area that has been used as a camp site before. Not all flat spots are sites. If possible, please use existing sites to avoid creating new disturbances. To further protect your public lands, campers must not dispose of any refuse, hazardous materials, sewage, or in any manner pollute the surrounding area.

Attachments

• C89A48CB-BAB5-43EA-ABE4-5B1D93674183.jpeg
    C89A48CB-BAB5-43EA-ABE4-5B1D93674183.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 47
@Seattle1, I also meant to agree with and comment on your post about the missing person report. A lot of folks find it frustrating in the way adult missing persons’ reports are handled. The problem is that in this case the missing person is an adult, his home and vehicle have been checked and cleared of any signs of foul play, and there is no indication that Dylan didn’t disappear voluntarily.
As time goes on more information or evidence may present itself to indicate that Dylan isn’t missing voluntarily, but by that time valuable information can be lost. This is what frustrates loved ones of a missing person. I don’t blame them, but LE’s hands are tied. Many folks who criticize LE for “doing nothing” in these cases are the same ones who would sue if, while they were away on vacation, LE entered their home after a relative or neighbor reported hey hadn’t seen or talked to them for a few days.
When a person is reported missing, all the known facts are put together and that will determine how the case will be handled initially.

The official FB page has changed the last seen date to 5/27. I presume the last person who spoke to him is still his grandmother on the morning of 5/28. He was supposed to call her back later but never did.
So does this mean whatever happened happened after he spoke with his grandmother that morning?
The official FB page just confirmed (upon me asking) that the date change does indeed mean the last sighting of Dylan was @ the Saddle Sore Bar on 5/27.

Since he spoke with his grandmother on 5/28, it appears then nothing happened on his way back to Lucin that night if indeed Dylan called her from his trailer that morning.

I checked the weather reports for Lucin, it rained on 5/28, 5/29 and 5/30. It appears then the truck wouldn't have gotten muddy driving back to Lucin on 5/27, but then it would have been driven on 5/28 and/or 5/29 requiring washing per the report it appeared power-washed on 5/30.

Last edited:
Are we to assume the last seen date(s) reported on Dylan's Official page, updated by his family, is a visual, face-to-face sighting, or their last contact with Dylan such as a confirmed call between Dylan and his family?

I ask because none of the dates I've seen-- including the latest at 5/27, are consistent with the flyer posted by Box Elder County Sheriff and shared with other entities.

I wish we knew more about the sighting of Dylan at the Saddle Sore Bar in Montello. Did he arrive with anyone? Did he drive his own vehicle there? Did he leave with anyone? Was he seen drinking? How long was he at the bar?

IMO his time at the Saddle Sore is key to figuring out what may have happened and who else, if anyone, might be involved in his disappearance.

Just speculation here - what if Dylan usually didn't drink at all, but did imbibe that night. It wouldn't take much to suffer from alcohol poisoning and suffer some bad effects from that. Would someone clean the truck if there was a lot of vomit in it? What if he choked on vomit and someone panicked?

Just speculation here - what if Dylan usually didn't drink at all, but did imbibe that night. It wouldn't take much to suffer from alcohol poisoning and suffer some bad effects from that. Would someone clean the truck if there was a lot of vomit in it? What if he choked on vomit and someone panicked?
I could see the possible vomit situation, and needing to clean the truck, but since Dylan spoke to his grandmother the next day, that would imply he "recovered" and nothing happened either by accident or nefarious reasons that night.

Are we to assume the last seen date(s) reported on Dylan's Official page, updated by his family, is a visual, face-to-face sighting, or their last contact with Dylan such as a confirmed call between Dylan and his family?

I ask because none of the dates I've seen-- including the latest at 5/27, are consistent with the flyer posted by Box Elder County Sheriff and shared with other entities.
Per the official FB page the admin states the following in regard to 5/27 when Dylan was reported in Montello and at the Saddle Sore Bar:

"The family is aware of people seeing him Friday evening in Montello"

Based on this statement I would take that he was visually there and identified. Not sure if LE has interviewed these individuals and/or they have reached out to LE to tell what they observed or any direct contact they had with Dylan.

I watched the video. It helps so much hearing from his mom and looking at the terrain. It's still so baffling.
Yeah it is. The area is so desolate and what he was saying about high winds or rain hiding tracks is so true. We had a really bad weekend of winds a few weeks ago and came back to the job site on Monday and every tire track was gone. If they had winds it could have wiped out anything that was made before the rain

Am I missing anything?

Missing:
Wallet, Phone - Family offering $20,000 reward for man who disappeared after 'weird run-in' with stranger - East Idaho News

Dylan Rounds - lives in Box Elder County, Lucin, Utah

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started reading this evening ... checking whether I understand

May 25 reported missing
May 27 Dylan reportedly seen in Montello, Saddle Sore Bar
May 28 Grandmother spoke to him
May 30 vehicle cleaned
June ? boots were found five miles west of camper

"Their investigation began while another missing person case remained unsolved.
Aidan Clune, age 19, traveled from California to Utah on April 26, 2022, then drove back to Nevada and drove south on U.S. Highway 93 the following day. He parked his pickup truck on the shoulder and wandered into the remote area about 10 miles north of Currie.

Rounds was last seen at a bar in Montello, a remote Elko County community about 30 miles west of Lucin in Box Elder County, Utah ... . The station reported that his boots were found five miles west of his camper, and both the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Department and Weber County Search and Rescue searched the area last week."

Two 19 year olds men missing in the same area a month apart. One missing April 27, the other missing May 25. 140 miles apart.

1654743426554.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member