UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first thing that always comes to mind for me during a case is past cases, that have some similiarities in my mind.

One case is the older couple with a large RV who disapeared in Nevada a few months ago. Most here were sure there was foul play. It actually turned out to be misadventure, resulting in the death of one of the people.

Another case was several years ago and of course I can't remember a name. A young woman was house and animal sitting. She was known to be very responsible and loved animals. She was taking care of dogs and horses, I think. She disappeared. Again, foul play was suspected. The prevailing thought was that she would never leave the animals to fend for themselves without asking someone to take care of them. As it turned out, that's exactly what she did. She was found after several days or a few weeks. She had just taken off, voluntarily missing. As far as I know, it was never made public why.

I'm not saying either of these senarios is what happened here. Just sharing what cases this brings to mind.

He did not drink alcohol according to his mother.
He may well have attracted negative attention while in the restaurant through no fault of his own.
I think it would have been solved long ago had such an altercation taken place.
okay, help me out here. So was he at a restaurant that had a bar in it? Did he typically go in to town/that restaurant to eat?

If what I am understanding is correct, Lucin where his ranch is, is considered a "ghost town", and Montello has a population of less than 100?
Certainly narrows the suspect list...

Doesn't seem like an area where folks would be passing through.

I'm going to stick to my theory for now, but open and respectful of other theories.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but does Dylan have friends in the area? Does he work with anyone else or pretty much just by himself? I don't believe for a second that he only likes to work. What does he like to do besides that? Playing videogames? Watch sports?

I agree. It appears to be a waste of time and resources to focus on Nevada. I think the family is fixated on Nevada right now because it gives them a glimmer of hope. Once they are satisfied that a thorough search has been conducted in Nevada, hopefully, resources will be redirected back to the area around the farm.

It might also be a last ditch effort. Cover the one last area that hasn’t been searched, then try to start getting on with their lives. Regroup…decide what to do next. (I can’t even type that without getting teary.)
Unlike you and MG, whom I greatly respect both of your POV's, I think Montello is *exactly* where the focus should be. I speculate that whatever happened, it was there. His possessions were returned to his ranch by the Perp(s), so as to not draw undue attention being left in town.

This, of course, is reliant on foul play. I haven't ruled out a walk away just yet, but I consider it highly unlikely. Still remaining open minded as more details come to light. His family must be in terrible agony. My heart goes out to them.

Amateur opinion and speculation.

okay, help me out here. So was he at a restaurant that had a bar in it? Did he typically go in to town/that restaurant to eat?

If what I am understanding is correct, Lucin where his ranch is, is considered a "ghost town", and Montello has a population of less than 100?

I'm going to stick to my theory for now, but open and respectful of other theories.

There are very few places to get a hot meal after a long day's work.
I doubt he went every night, he really did work very hard.
Here's a link to the photos his mum shared today.
He was managing seriously big farm machinery when he was just 16 years old. Potato picking machinery and he was managing several farms. This kid is pretty amazing. Log into Facebook

This article says he was at a *bar*:
"...He was last seen Memorial Day weekend at a bar in Montello, Nevada, which is 30 miles west of his home."

If he doesn't drink, what was he doing at a bar?
Is it a bar/resto? Meeting someone there for a prearranged meeting?

Sounds like LE hasn't been taking this seriously enough, or perhaps they are now. This seems very clear to me...

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but does Dylan have friends in the area? Does he work with anyone else or pretty much just by himself? I don't believe for a second that he only likes to work. What does he like to do besides that? Playing videogames? Watch sports?
I think Dylan's mother said in an interview that he wasn't into videogames. One friend was mentioned, although I don't remember if he's from back home in Idaho. Two farm workers were allegedly looking for Dylan on Sunday after his grandmother alerted them.

Apologies if this has already been posted. This article has some good info. He apparently went to the *bar* to meet his friends. His truck had been washed but had mud in the wheel wells. The car was in 4WD, but his family knows his 4WD had been inoperable for some time.

All this suggests our young farmer was taken and dumped somewhere off-road. The returned truck made it appear he walked off, which clearly wasn't the case since his boots were found dumped behind a dirt pile.

Drones are needed, and quickly. There are several volunteer drone search and rescue organizations that might be able to help if the local LE can't.

2 notes:

-As previously discussed, the “bar” also serves food.

-A town might have a population of only 100 (I don’t know this to be correct for Montello, just an example) in the incorporated area but there could still be hundreds, maybe even thousands, of people living outside the city limits. This is true for the area we live in and many others I am familiar with.

Did Dylan even drink alcohol? If he was involved in an altercation at a bar in Montello, witnesses would have come forward by now.

It was mentioned that the truck's tires were washed, but the wheel wells weren't. Would Dylan have left them like that if he did the washing himself?
IMO

Typically the wheel wells would be the first thing to wash because the mud splashes out and all over the outside. I’d think if anything, the wheel wells would be washed because of the mud build up and chunking off while driving down the road.

I’m curious about the height of his 2 farm workers. If something nefarious happened, I think it was at least 2 people or 1 did the “deed” and called another for help.

I hope they can get cadaver dogs soon because I’m interested in that soil pile.

IMO

In the helicopter search crew video that was linked in this thread, his mom is talking about his best friend that was helping the fam search before his parents got to the area. How DR was initially described made him seem so socially isolated out there, but it sounds to me like that's not the case at all in reality -- that he has friends and family(?) nearby.

Thanks!
I am not a FB'er.
On the Find Dylan Rounds approved page, Jaz shared a post of Dylan's mom:

We would like to help everyone better understand who Dylan is. Please browse through these pictures and you see since Dylan was little he has been a farmer, it was his passion. From the time he could walk he would try to keep up with his dad and grandpa. Dylan could drive a tractor by himself before most kids could ride a bike. From as early as 10 years old he was growing pumpkin patches and sweet corn to sale. The Rigby community knew every summer there would be Dylan's sweet corn for sale under the County Line over pass. Please if you have pictures of Dylan working with you share share share. Dylan is a true American Farmer born in a generation that does not understand, lets help show him to the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO

Typically the wheel wells would be the first thing to wash because the mud splashes out and all over the outside. I’d think if anything, the wheel wells would be washed because of the mud build up and chunking off while driving down the road.

I’m curious about the height of his 2 farm workers. If something nefarious happened, I think it was at least 2 people or 1 did the “deed” and called another for help.

I hope they can get cadaver dogs soon because I’m interested in that soil pile.

IMO
Soil pile was searched according to official fb page.
Nada.
I do not know which, if any dogs have searched yet.
I am assuming dogs checked his truck but I have not seen that confirmed.

Soil pile was searched according to official fb page.
Nada.
I do not know which, if any dogs have searched yet.
I am assuming dogs checked his truck but I have not seen that confirmed.
Thank you!

I’m back from a break so I’m trying to play catch up. I’m getting a feeling that we’ll never know what happened, but I hope I’m wrong.

I agree with another poster that someone in that bar knows what happened (or who happened) if this was a criminal act.

In my opinion, the information Dylan provided his family was very concerning, as was follow up data published in the Gephard Daily:

1) Dylan had a weird run in with a barefoot individual who Dylan felt was dangerous and on drugs.

2) Dylan refused the man a ride, which in all likelihood pissed the guy off.

3) The guy was later seen asking about Dylan in Montello NV, and was given a ride to Dylan's trailer.

Questions: Has the "weird man" been identified and questioned? My theory is the man tracked Dylan down and may have harmed him.

From the Gephardt Daily (Link below)

"Rounds’ aunt, Katie Wells, told East Idaho News that her nephew has been working on a farm in Lucin. Wells, who lives in Rigby, Idaho, said Rounds called several family members May 25 after having a “weird run-in” with a man on an unpaved road in Lucin.

“The man was walking down the gravel road barefoot,” Wells told East Idaho News. “He flagged Dylan down, who was in his truck. He asked to use Dylan’s phone and was acting erratically. Dylan felt the man was dangerous and may have been high. When he asked Dylan for a ride, (Dylan) did not give him a ride.”

Wells said the man was spotted in Montello, Nevada, several days later asking about Rounds, and there are reports that the man got a ride to Rounds’ trailer Saturday."

Wikipedia says that Montello, in 2018, had a population of 50.

According to Dylan's mother in an interview with East Idaho News Dylan had originally told his mom he refused the man a ride and then at some point told her he had in fact given man a ride. His mom put flyers out stating they would like the man to reach out. And he did. LE ignoring him at first. Said man had an outstanding warrant so was arrested. Mom said Dylan's truck seat had been scooted way forward and power washed but fender wells were still caked with mud. Mom said it was known to everyone the 4wheel drive was not working yet found it engaged when parked.

Thank you!

I’m back from a break so I’m trying to play catch up. I’m getting a feeling that we’ll never know what happened, but I hope I’m wrong.

I agree with another poster that someone in that bar knows what happened (or who happened) if this was a criminal act.
Quickest way to catch up is to listen to the two u tube interviews with his mother.
His dad gave an excellent interview too at his place and showed us the lake and talked about his son's plans for the land, tree planting and more water.
Mega project and it sounded really exciting.
I catch myself speaking in past tense though I think of him in present tense.
Check out the fb page too, it contains a lot of information and Good admins. Log into Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie