Found Alive UT - Holly Suzanne Courtier, 38, Zion National Park, 6 Oct 2020 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by doublestop, Oct 10, 2020.

1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

That depends on whether they were psychotic at the time and motivated by mania.

2. Andreee

Andreee Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't think mental illness is understood still in this day and age, even on this thread, and it seems to me from what I've read of this case that this woman did have that.

3. Andreee

I agree. I don't think mental illness is understood still in this day and age, even on this thread, and it seems to me from what I've read of this case that this woman did have that. As for her family, that's another story.

4. Andreee

Agreed. I don't quite understand the Criss Angel reference anyways.

Subiechik21, gitana1, MsBetsy and 2 others like this.
  5. news buff

news buff Well-Known Member

Would like to know if Holly met up with anyone in the park.

6. indicolite22

indicolite22 Well-Known Member

BrainScratch: Happy Ending Interrupted - The Holly Courtier Story

7. TootsieFootsie

TootsieFootsie Well-Known Member

Why can't people just be happy that someone was "found safe" ?

8. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

If you read the insights that members have shared from page 1 of this thread, you'll understand why folks have serious and legitimate concerns.

9. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yes, we don't know what kind of mental health facility it is but that doesn't mean that it's not true that she is receiving treatment for a mental health disorder. For all we know it was the Doctor at the hospital who recommended she get psychiatric treatment.

Considering that she was already fasting before she left, planned to disconnect herself from technology, wasn't well prepared and left in the middle of the night, I would say she was not in a rational state of mind when she planned to go on this journey.

She had reportedly already been suffering from some type of untreated trauma so maybe this is what it took for her to finally go for help.

The family may have wanted to keep her mental health issues confidential at Holly's request. After Sgt Cashin made a public statement saying her story was not believable, and that she couldn't have drank from the river, they probably felt like they had to defend themselves. They never said she drank from the river but people started calling them liars and scammers. Random people have been posting horrible things on Holly's FB page. It's natural to get defensive. The people calling them names and jumping to conclusions are behaving much worse than any family member, yet all the focus is on the family.

10. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

IMO, the people placing the greatest stigma on mental health are her family. They seem the most embarrassed by it which can't be healthy for HC.

11. MsBetsy

I haven't seen any indication that they are embarrassed by it at all. Mental Health treatment is confidential and wouldn't be shared with the family without the patient's permission. They may not even know what her diagnosis is or what kind of treatment she is recieving. Even if they did they don't have to share details with the media.

Or, Holly has shared details with them and has asked them to keep it confidential. All we have heard is that she is getting better.

12. mrstfs

mrstfs Well-Known Member

I wish we had a verified psychologist or psychiatrist weighing in on this thread. Lots of her public social media postings, her actions in Zion, her decisions (as communicated in MSM her family) sound like someone out of their mind to me but I’m not a mental health professional. For example, HC’s strong anti vaccination views per her public Facebook postings seem totally insane to me. But I’m not qualified to diagnose her with anything.

Back in the 1990s I was vegan for 10 years and some folks thought I seriously lost my mind. Lol.

My point is, people make different/strange/risky decisions all of the time, for a variety of reasons. Doesn’t mean they have a mental illness and even if they do, it definitely doesn’t mean don’t know right from wrong. (I keep thinking about the article on Instagram influencers that I posted on thread 1.) MOO

Side note- the family said she checked in to a “mental wellness center”. I don’t know if they used that term to mean something specific or not.

13. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

My opinion is based on how they have been providing / relaying cover stories. She purposely stayed near a water source... no, of course she didn't drink the water... she didn't have strength to speak when she saw people... must have been adrenaline that let her walk out... oh we didn't seek medical attention at the scene because HC just wanted to get in the car... but she was near death with kidneys shutting down, but no overnight at hospital... back home in mental health center.

14. MsBetsy

Well, like I mentioned before, they are probably repeating what Holly told them. They could not have known if she had water with her or not. They probably don't even know if she was really there the whole time. Maybe she did have a sudden burst of energy when she was found. They did say she had to stop and rest every few minutes.

I doubt her potassium levels were as low as they described or that she had kidney failure, either. Maybe her potassium levels were low but not dangerously low. Maybe the tests indicated her kidneys were not functioning efficiently and they just interpreted it as kidney failure. I've known many people to misunderstand test results, including myself.

But if she was fasting for that long I doubt her test results were normal. It probably was just not as bad as they described.

If she is in a treatment center for eating disorders, she may be getting treatment for some medical problems, too.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. gitana1

I didn’t either.

16. gitana1

For me, the improbable stories they came up with (that she was near death, got disorientated due to injury, was lost in an area heavily trafficked and heavily searched, only half a mile from the visitor’s center and that she couldn’t call for help due to dehydration and didn’t drink water for 12 days but survived), all point to a sense of shame regarding why really happened. And it shouldn’t be.

Instead of “we are so happy she was rescued. She’s receiving treatment and while grateful we ask for privacy”, they came up with all this nonsense and wouldn’t stop.

I think one of them finally brought up the mental health issues because they felt backed into a corner and had to explain the impossible.

Either way, it’s really not up to them to divulge anything. But looking at what they did state and the timing of it, the lack of honesty points to shame to me.

17. gitana1

Exactly. They tried to cover it up until they had no choice.

18. Evilxelvis138

Evilxelvis138 rebel angel

I like how the find Holly website has “Copyright © 2020 HELP FIND HOLLY - All Rights Reserved.”

Subiechik21, misgrn, LadyL and 10 others like this.
  19. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

Exactly. IMO it's *not* okay to claim a person can go 12 days without drinking water and it's *not* okay to claim that swishing a mouthful of toxic water and spitting it out is a harmless way to ingest "a tiny bit of water." These are lies and are dangerous if other hikers believe them.

"No Suzie, don't drink that toxic river water, just swish some around in your mouth and spit it out." Oka-a-ay.

At any point HC's family could have corrected their implausible narrative - or just stopped talking to the media - but instead they chose to double down and portray HC's survival as some sort of "miracle." It's not a miracle and it's not okay. MOO.

20. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

My apologies. I was under the impression he was an "escape" style magician similar to Houdini.

I was only trying to suggest an example that wasn't well-meaning (with or without mental issues) but rather a performance planned out ahead of time, attempting to show someone doing the impossible.

I would like to be clear that I don't support financial or legal consequences for people who are actually lost/injured/ill and benefit from search and rescue type services. I'm critical only given the assumption that it was a planned performance, not an authentic unintended emergency.

MOO