Found Alive UT - Holly Suzanne Courtier, 38, Zion National Park, 6 Oct 2020 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by doublestop, Oct 10, 2020.

1. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

Oh, right - I forgot about that. HC was a half mile from the Grotto shuttle dropoff place not the park entrance.

So when she was rescued she walked the half mile to the Grotto, with a ranger following her, stopping every 5 feet to rest. Then what? Did she and her family members sit and wait for the shuttle to take them back to their car?

And all the while HC was dehydrated, had failing kidneys, bruised all over, had concussion and was disoriented, had foot injuries from the cold, and whatever else we'll hear about in the future?

I'd sure like to have some of that adrenalin... seriously though it seems dangerous and maybe even irresponsible to delay the trip to the hospital just because HC was traumatized and didn't want to be transported. She also declined either an MRI or a CAT scan at the hospital - IMO a dangerous choice. Hard to believe - at that point they had 10k from the *** so why not use that to have her treated properly?

From October 22:
    "It's just so blown blown out of proportion," Strong said. "When you think you're going to die and you see a ranger, she said she literally got like giddy inside because she knew she was going to see her daughter and her family, so you definitely have some adrenaline working for you at that point."

She said Courtier had a ranger standing behind her in case she fell from weakness and had to stop every 5 feet to sit down and rest. Courtier was taken to the hospital by her family, not an ambulance.

"She was very scared and traumatized, and she wanted to leave the park in my car with me and my husband and her daughter, and we drove her straight to the emergency room, so things have just been twisted," Strong said.
    Sister of missing Zion hiker says her survival without food and water was 'a miracle'

2. Backstroke10

Backstroke10 Well-Known Member

Taking my dog for a nightly walk around the neighborhood is all I do. It sounds like even I could hike this trail with no problem. MOO

3. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

It’s possible, but then why did they play up how bad her condition was? It seems like if they were embarrassed by her actions they would play it down and stay out of the limelight. It seems instead they were everywhere talking about how terrible her condition was and looking for the attention. IDK, that’s just how it seemed to me.

4. indicolite22

indicolite22 Well-Known Member

Maybe they were also trying to avoid a fine and possibly questions about the money collected, so they kept adding to the story.

Her case attracted more media attention than most other missing hikers' stories, including some current cases. Maybe it's all due to her relatives' efforts.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  5. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Was it common for Holly to do these type of “hiking adventures” since she lost her job?

How long has it been since she lost her job?

How many National Parks had she visited prior to Zion with her daughter?

I understand wanting to get away and cleanse your mind and body for a few days.

Is fasting before a hiking or spiritual adventure a normal thing?

It’s not something that works well for me, but each person is different. I know my body and my mind meet to be on point prior to adventures.

Throw in a pandemic also.
    JMO

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. LovesMoose

LovesMoose Member

Most of what I'm seeing in the news is recycled quotes from the family. It looks like they did more interviews while Holly was missing. They aren't "everywhere" as someone suggested.

And this notion that they're pushing a narrative to sway opinion bothers me. The discrepancies suggest a lack of organization rather than a coming together for the sake of protecting family secrets.

Don't hold it against them.

As for water, cyanobacteria and dehydration, nothing concerns me here. It can all be explained to her defense. Do some more reading and maybe you'll better understand my perspective.

There may be park cameras with footage that will reveal sordid details. But so far I'm unwilling to say anything negative about her and her family because nothing is leading me in that direction.

And I won't make any assertions about her mental health. This is for her family to address, but we are not owed an explanation.

Andreee and Flicka1 like this.
  7. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

BBM

I said something similar when telling my DH about this case — like why wouldn’t she throw a rock or a twig or any and everything she could grab to bring attention to herself? She says she couldn’t walk, so CRAWL!

8. monkey222

monkey222 Well-Known Member

How many hours....er.....days.....twelve x 24......= wow! ...good thing there was a way to tally it all....

Subiechik21, Seni, Flicka1 and 2 others like this.
  9. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

My brother’s been to Zion. He laughed. Said it’s a zoo in that area. A very flat hike. Tons of tourists, bathrooms, a place to get beer at the Zion Lodge. He thinks it was a financial scam due to how ridiculous the whole thing is and how impossible to get lost in that location. Shuttles are coming and going like the Disneyland tram.

Now I’m sure traffic was way down due to COVID but there’s no way she was lost there with searchers in the area for a week.

La Louve, Subiechik21, LadyL and 23 others like this.
  10. gitana1

Except it wasn’t even backcountry. It was a well-traveled, park like area with amenities and lots of people. It’s accessible for everyone because it’s such an easy trail there. Meaning wheelchairs, motorized scooters, and all close to help and water and toilets and snacks.

La Louve, Subiechik21, LadyL and 16 others like this.
  11. azure

azure Well-Known Member

Forgive me for not having a link, but someone posted the data for park visits this year and it's actually UP due to people going on socially distant road trips.

La Louve, Subiechik21, LadyL and 14 others like this.
  12. gitana1

@indicolite22 I meant “thanks” for the clarification! Autocorrect.

13. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

I know, right? For goodness sakes, in June a poor woman was beaten and left for dead in a wooded area of Pennsylvania. She dragged herself a mile to safety. But all HC could do was make marks on a tree limb with a sharpie.

That doesn't sound like someone fighting for her life. Sgt. Cashin is absolutely correct - the story doesn't add up. MOO, based on facts.

ETA: @monkey222 - :D

La Louve, Subiechik21, LadyL and 20 others like this.
  14. gitana1

She wasn’t at the time she made that statement. After the Sheriff pointed it out they complained about how the “whole thing was blown out of proportion” and “I never said she DRANK the water.”

15. gitana1

No. We aren’t owed an explanation. And had they kept quiet this wouldn’t be a story right now.

But they lied. They did give multiple interviews after she was rescued and changed the story some each time. All those stories can’t be true because they’re impossible.

Further, you’ve stated that we need to do some reading or look up cases where people have walked out of similar situations. But when someone stated there are such cases it’s up to that person to cite them.

Finally, her family have made assertions about her mental health. They stated she wasn’t in a good place emotionally, had a mental breakdown and is in a mental health facility getting treatment.

16. Seni

Seni Well-Known Member

In fact in the first thread someone posted park entry stats and they were higher this year compared to same period last year.

17. LovesMoose

LovesMoose Member

"The Sherrif's sergeant has made it 10 times worse for [Kailey]," Strong said. "I've never even seen him or met him. This is someone who looked at some paperwork and looked at things on paper. He wasn't there. I think it might be easy to look at a few things on paper and make conclusions. He’s taken something and blown it out of proportion and the attention has gone to him. The focus should actually be on the rangers and search and rescue team.”

Holly Courtier's rescue in Zion National Park led to rumors, theories

Andreee, Flicka1 and gitana1 like this.
  18. Seni

Seni Well-Known Member

"Most of what I'm seeing in the news is recycled quotes from the family. "

So, they have told this story before?

"As for water, cyanobacteria and dehydration, nothing concerns me here. It can all be explained to her defense. Do some more reading and maybe you'll better understand my perspective".

We have read enough, from first thread onwards of warnings from NP and LE concerning warnings about water quality. The warnings were in place.

19. Vacajoe

Vacajoe Well-Known Member

Just a side note to answer this question!

While you cannot filter out the toxins, you were describing an evaporation still which WOULD work! Points for creative thinking, but it takes a bit of practice and lots of materials to make one of those work - not something that happened here.

For those of you about to google “dehydration still,” it’s what Pi used on the lifeboat to get fresh water from seawater in the movie, “Life of Pi.” And for those of you muttering that you never saw the movie, SHAME ON YOU!!!

20. gitana1

Well, the none of the rangers or search team came out in support of her after the sheriff spoke.

I think it takes a lot for LE to speak out in that manner in a case like this. I think he was angry.