Found Alive UT - Holly Suzanne Courtier, 38, Zion National Park, 6 Oct 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by doublestop, Oct 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

It is better. A google search of her name would come up with her being lost in a questionable situation. But outwardly stating a mental health diagnosis? If that was the case, we’ve seen how harshly critical people are of those with mental health issues.

But embellishing her condition and the circumstances of her disappearance, that is irksome.

A simple: “We are very glad to have found her and she is super grateful to everyone who searched. She has on-going health care needs at this time and anyone who would like to help defray the costs are very welcome to do so. However, we are going to keep her needs private. Thank you so much for understanding.”

Subiechik21, misgrn, kimpage and 10 others like this.

2. gitana1

Nope. I’m not missing a thing. I thought something was odd when they found her. And I read the article by the sheriff.

Re-read the posts or parts of the posts to which I am responding. They don’t have anything to do with a possible scam. One is essentially saying that if you need physical or mental health care, and don’t have insurance, don’t ask for help. Get a job. (Which is illogical).

The other is saying that we have all had to cope with COVID. And we have all weathered the storm. Which implies that failing to do so due to a possible mental health issue, is a moral failing of some sort.

I have a problem with those posts. Regardless as to whether a scam occurred in this case or not. That’s a separate, distinct issue and one I’m not just brushing off.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  3. Vacajoe

Vacajoe Well-Known Member

The river is in a very flat part of the canyon, not a deep ravine.

BTW, excellent sharpie penmanship! I couldn’t make straight lines like those on that tree if you were paying me to! Let alone on a bumpy tree, while unable to walk, suffering from severe dehydration and a concussion, while laying in a hammock...

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Vacajoe

Vacajoe Well-Known Member

Double-posted

JudgeJoe and iamnotagolem like this.
  5. gitana1

No it is not. That was a super expensive search.

6. gitana1

The OP wasn’t talking about the woman in this case. Different name.

7. mrstfs

mrstfs Well-Known Member

IMHO, any future actions from HC will be telling... I’m referring to any future actions related to life coach/motivational speaker/books/business opportunities from what happened in Zion.

I’m getting the vibe that the “go fund me”is not the main motivation... but again just my opinion and time will tell.

8. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

That is not AT ALL how I read other’s posts. If we are to give HC the benefit of the doubt, should we not also do the same for OP? No one lacks compassion here.

I resent fraudulent manipulation of information to inspire charitable donations. All they had to say was that she was overwhelmed with financial stresses from a job loss & lots of people would be moved to help. But exaggerating the severity of a medical condition? Not ok ever. Imo

9. momsof3

momsof3 Well-Known Member

I agree there are inconsistencies/issues in HC's story but what you are saying here is that her 19-year old daughter conspired with her in advance. I just don't get that at all from what I saw of the daughter during the search. She seemed overwhelmed. And she is still a teenager, with a single mom. It would make sense to me that she would believe/want to believe that her mom was in extreme danger and to want to defend her regardless of what we see from the outside. I'm open to seeing evidence, even circumstantial or coincidental, that would implicated the daughter but absent that I don't think it is fair to imply she is part of a fraudulent conspiracy.

Agreed. I bet there are some complex motivations here. Plus, if that was the motivation, it would imply other participants and I'm not willing to go there on the sister and the daughter. The *** hasn't been accepting donations for a few days. Just FYI (and no, I wouldn't give to a stranger on that type of platform, just stating a fact here regarding this particular one since it has been mentioned so many times).

ETA - I reserve the right to eat my words, this situation is "fluid" information-wise. I just still feel for the daughter - now more than ever.

10. JudgeJoe

JudgeJoe Well-Known Member

Have you seen the official statement that accounts for distribution of funds?

11. mrstfs

mrstfs Well-Known Member

Very Instagram worthy photo, even better if you add an inspirational quote about survival or something. :p

12. gitana1

Sounds to me like if she was found due to her hammock being spotted, she was hiding and had a water source of some kind.

My question is didn’t the people on the shuttle confirm she didn’t have food and water? Or did she have food and water? Where would she get enough water for 12 days?

I feel she would’ve been hospitalized for several days if she was that dehydrated to the point her kidneys were malfunctioning.

It would be interesting to know what exactly happened, and how she survived.

13. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

12 days without water equals kidney failure.
    The video of her sister talking claims she hit her head and had a concussion. First I've read of that.
    Fasting for 14 days means she would have been incapable of walking out.
    I call pants on fire here.

14. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

Ita.
    Still waiting...

I've already commented likewise about this .
    The one thing this woman and her family should do (imo) is to come clean and reimburse the costs of the search.
    That shouldn't be a problem.
    MOO

15. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I recall the same as you. Amanda was found way outside of the official search perimeter. I remember a mention between two waterfalls. I don’t recall any talk of it being a stone throw to a restaurant.

I thought her rescue was pretty incredible because it was a private search and the pilot decided to go further out, they were close to turning around when she was spotted waving her hands. I absolutely acknowledge that most families of missing people don’t have the set up that found Amanda. It was very impressive with their mapping technology, etc. I think she even had jungle rot & a broken leg.
    IMO

16. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

I'll admit I'm a bit curious if she was there the entire time, if she was alone, or if she was hiding out elsewhere ?
    If she was where she said she was-- how did she not hear the searchers calling her ?
    Imo.

17. TXBorn

TXBorn Well-Known Member

I think this may be a repeat of other news stories
    A sheriff's sergeant is questioning the rescued Zion National Park hiker's story, saying there's no way she could have survived for 2 weeks off river water

"If she had been drinking that water, unless she had some really high immune system, she would've been very, very ill and probably unable to come out on her own," Cashin told ABC 4.

"She either took a lot of water with her or had another clean water source that was near here, but the Virgin River is not that source."

"Had she been drinking that water, she would be extremely ill or passed on by now. If she did have a good water source, what was it?"

18. iamnotagolem

iamnotagolem Well-Known Member

I’m thinking technology will play a role in this investigation. Recovering deleted Facebook posts, text messages, etc will probably greatly aid their search for the truth.

Subiechik21, misgrn, max99 and 8 others like this.
  19. Seni

Seni Well-Known Member

20. SuzDuJour

SuzDuJour Well-Known Member

One gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. five gallons = 41.7 lbs. just sayin’

Subiechik21, La Louve, Seni and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.