Found Deceased UT - Jonathon Hogue, 33, hiker, PhD student, Canyonlands National Park, 10 Mar 2019 *items found*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Mar 14, 2019.

1. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A search is underway at the Island in the Sky District in Canyonlands National Park for a missing man.

Jonathon Hogue, 33, is last known to have been in the park on Sunday, March 10.

Hogue’s mother, Laura Tebeau, says he checked in at the park at 1:22 p.m. on Sunday.

The National Park Service, Grand County Search and Rescue and volunteers are attempting to locate Hogue using search dogs. Tebeau said the search was called off on Wednesday, March 13, due to the mixture of rain and snow that fell throughout the day.

The National Park Service describes Hogue as being a white male, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 180 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes, and a tattoo on his bicep that says “Ninja Penguin.”

The National Park Service is asking for anyone who was visiting the Green River Overlook at the Island in the Sky District between Sunday, March 10 and now, or who has information that could help investigators, to contact them by phone or text at 888-653-0009.

“I want to thank all the people out there at Canyonlands National Park trying to find my son, and I’m asking for everyone’s prayers that he is found safe,” Tebeau said.

Speaking by phone on March 14, Tebeau said her son loves the outdoors and is a hiker and backpacker who has traveled extensively to visit parks. She said Hogue has visited Utah before, but believes this is his first visit to Canyonlands National Park.

“He is a faithful ‘I call my mom every Sunday’ type of person, and I didn’t hear from his this last Sunday,” she said. When she didn’t hear from him, she assumed he was busy and sent him a text message, but did not receive a response.

She said she didn’t know that he was traveling to Utah and his itinerary is unknown.

“Every chance he would get, he would go and visit a state park, but when he was going he would always tell me where he was going,” she said.

She said Hogue’s truck, cell phone and jacket were found in the park and turned over to park rangers who are continuing the search.

The National Park Service did not return a call for comment on March 14.

Tebeau said Hogue graduated from Margaretta High School in Castalia, Ohio, and attended Miami University (of Ohio) and Ohio University. He served in the U.S. Air Force. She said he moved to Iowa City, Iowa, in July and is a PhD student at the University of Iowa.

Family asks for help locating man missing in Canyonlands National Park

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

3. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Canyonlands National Park

UPDATE: The search that began on Tuesday has concluded. We are sorry to report that Jonathon Hogue has been found deceased. Further inquiries should be directed to the Lead Investigating Agency, San Juan County Sheriff's Office. Thank you to everyone who helped with the search and rescue operation and provided information.

Missing Person: Jonathon HOGUE
    Height: 5’10”
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Blue
    Race: Caucasian
    Marks: Tattoo on bicep, words “Ninja Penguin”

Individual is a hiker and backpacker who is known to hike long distances, including off trail and scrambling. His dream was to be a park ranger. He is a PhD student and hobbies include drawing and painting.

Intended Itinerary: Unknown.

If you were in the area of Green River Overlook at Island in the Sky, Canyonlands National Park between Sunday, March 10 and now, or if you may have information that could help investigators, please contact us. You don’t have to tell us who you are, but please tell us what you know - go.usa.gov/xPd8J

☎️ CALL or TEXT the ISB Tip Line 888-653-0009

ONLINE www.nps.gov/ISB and click "Submit a Tip"

EMAIL nps_isb@nps.gov

EMERGENCY dial 9-1-1

ISB: the Investigative Services Branch of the National Park Service www.nps.gov/ISB

4. sasha17

sasha17 Curiouser & curiouser

"After three days of searching Canyonlands National Park for a missing hiker, crews found the 33-year-old man dead Friday. Jonathan Hogue, a graduate teaching assistant at the University of Iowa, was an avid hiker, known for traveling long distances on his treks at state and national parks and going off trail."

Hiker missing in Canyonlands National Park found dead

5. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

I was hoping the searchers would have found him alive, but I'm glad he was found. RIP Jonathon.

6. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

The body of Jonathon Hogue, age 33, from Iowa City, IA was found at the base of the Green River Overlook in the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands National Park. Mr. Hogue fell approximately 500 feet to his death.

San Juan County Sheriffs Office

Tripod, wary, annemc2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Kavya01

Kavya01 Well-Known Member

RIP Mr. Hogue, and peace in some way somehow to your bereaved mother and family and friends.