UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is dated today, and says a preliminary gag order was issued pending a hearing Friday afternoon. I‘m assuming that means later today ?
Yes, BBM.

On May 31, prosecutors filed a motion asking the Court to issue a gag order in the case, citing intense media interest. In the motion, prosecutors cited the gag order issued in the case of Bryan Kohberger, who is accused of killing four University of Idaho students. In that case, a gag order forbids any party associated with the case from speaking to the media. There are currently open cases challenging the validity of the gag order in Idaho, including one filed by the Associated Press, which includes Court TV as a party.

The Court issued a preliminary gag order, pending a hearing on Friday afternoon.

A Utah judge in the case of Kouri Richens, who is charged with killing her husband with a fatal dose of fentanyl, is considering a number of motions, including a gag order in the case.

6/2/2023

PARK CITY, Utah — Attorneys for a Kamas woman accused of secretly administering a fatal dose of fentanyl to her husband and then later writing a children’s book aimed at helping families dealing with the sudden loss of a loved one are asking a judge to issue a gag order similar to the one in Idaho for the case involving four murdered college students.

A motion hearing is scheduled for Friday afternoon for Kouri Darden Richins in 3rd District Court.

This will be an unpopular option, but I don't see why there should be a gag order in this case.

There was a flurry of publicity around the time of the initial arrest, but over the last couple of weeks there's been no new revelations, and as far as I can tell nothing has leaked anything to the press that shouldn't have been.

A gag order should only be put in place to preserve a defendant's right to a fair trial by preventing the jury pool from being tainted. If the real reason for the order is to prevent KR from speaking to a filmmaker, then that's not legitimate. I may find her publicity-seeking distasteful, but she's within her rights to do it.

This will be an unpopular option, but I don't see why there should be a gag order in this case.

There was a flurry of publicity around the time of the initial arrest, but over the last couple of weeks there's been no new revelations, and as far as I can tell nothing has leaked anything to the press that shouldn't have been.

A gag order should only be put in place to preserve a defendant's right to a fair trial by preventing the jury pool from being tainted. If the real reason for the order is to prevent KR from speaking to a filmmaker, then that's not legitimate. I may find her publicity-seeking distasteful, but she's within her rights to do it.
My guess is that even more shocking information was been found and they don't want it to become public.

My guess is that even more shocking information was been found and they don't want it to become public.

Could be, but courts deal with sensitive information all the time by having documents filed under seal.

There've been many cases that are much more notorious and shocking than this one without the need for a general gag order.

Why would a gag order not preserve her right to a fair trial? I see that it will work both ways. JMO

Good judge

A "protection order" will be in effect for attorneys in the case, but 3rd District Judge Judge Richard E. Mrazik denied a request by Summit County prosecutors to issue a gag order similar to the one in Idaho for the case involving four slain college students, saying "there is a constitutionally protected need for free and unfettered expression" and that there are already tools in place to ensure a fair trial, including having "in-depth voir dire" to select unbiased jurors or a potential change of venue if "things get out of hand."

Why would a gag order not preserve her right to a fair trial? I see that it will work both ways. JMO
Sure, but that would be true about every case. Why is there a need for a gag in this one, especially when other cases get even more media attention?

And there are downsides as well: Because of the gag order in the Idaho student murders, the victims' families' attorneys can't even speak publicly about the case. If they're unhappy with the conduct of the police or the DA for some reason, they aren't allowed to say that. And because of the gag order the mayor won't even answer questions about how the murders have affected the city.

A Utah judge in the case of Kouri Richens, who is charged with killing her husband with a fatal dose of fentanyl, is considering a number of motions, including a gag order in the case.

6/2/2023

PARK CITY, Utah — Attorneys for a Kamas woman accused of secretly administering a fatal dose of fentanyl to her husband and then later writing a children’s book aimed at helping families dealing with the sudden loss of a loved one are asking a judge to issue a gag order similar to the one in Idaho for the case involving four murdered college students.

A motion hearing is scheduled for Friday afternoon for Kouri Darden Richins in 3rd District Court.
I thought Prosecutors wanted the gag order.
Were the defense artsy asking for it as well?

Good judge

A "protection order" will be in effect for attorneys in the case, but 3rd District Judge Judge Richard E. Mrazik denied a request by Summit County prosecutors to issue a gag order similar to the one in Idaho for the case involving four slain college students, saying "there is a constitutionally protected need for free and unfettered expression" and that there are already tools in place to ensure a fair trial, including having "in-depth voir dire" to select unbiased jurors or a potential change of venue if "things get out of hand."

I’m interested in hearing more about this.

Clipped :

The second warrant goes into additional detail about who Richins is accused of purchasing the drugs from as well as information about associates of that person. The warrant talks about a recorded phone conversation from the Utah State Prison that investigators listened to, as well as a warrant being served on the electronic devices of one of Richins' relatives to determine whether anyone else was involved in the planning of Eric Richins' death.

I’m interested in hearing more about this.

Clipped :

The second warrant goes into additional detail about who Richins is accused of purchasing the drugs from as well as information about associates of that person. The warrant talks about a recorded phone conversation from the Utah State Prison that investigators listened to, as well as a warrant being served on the electronic devices of one of Richins' relatives to determine whether anyone else was involved in the planning of Eric Richins' death.

Same. I'm mad at myself that I wasn't checking regularly for warrants because I would have loved to have read them before they got sealed.

imo, may be the article is a bit confusing. Title of the article reads prosecutors seek gag order and first paragraph of the article states attorneys for Kamas woman asking judge to seek gag order.

It appears the state wants the gag order in place.

For me, this part of the article is interesting ...

Then on Thursday, defense attorneys filed a motion asking that Richins be allowed “to appear at all in-court proceedings in civilian clothes instead of a prison uniform and without restraint by any means, including shackles.”

In addition, the defense is asking that once the trial begins, that measures be taken to make sure jurors never see Richins in restraints either in or outside the courtroom, and that should their client be found guilty, that the same rules continue to apply during a sentencing hearing.

@arielilane continues:

• Of course, she (KR) has the right to a defense and I believe the defense team is going to do whatever it takes to defend their client as they should. Additionally, imo, there is a mountain of solid evidence against her and the street clothes are an important factor, yet minor, a visual sight of being dressed properly could be helpful. Perhaps a reminder she is a mom. As I know you already know all of this. :)

All speculation on my part and guesses, not fact.

Correction: An earlier version incorrectly said Kouri Richins' attorneys were seeking a gag order instead of Summit County prosecutors.

1685812407739.jpeg
Kouri Richins hosts the celebration at a $2 million home the couple planned to flip, after a busy day of closing on the home and deleting all of her text messages inviting friends to the party. The acquaintance who sold Richins the fentanyl she used to poison her husband is on the guest list.

A Utah judge has denied prosecutors the gag order they requested in the case of Kouri Richins, who is charged with murdering her husband, Eric. But there are still restrictions on speaking publicly.

June 2, 2023 at 6:56 PM MDT

A judge did not give prosecutors the gag order they wanted in the case of Kouri Richins, who is charged with murdering her husband, Eric. But there are still restrictions on speaking publicly.​

Kouri Richins appeared in person at Third District Court Friday afternoon for a hearing on prosecutors’ request for a gag order in the multiple cases surrounding the death of her husband.

The state requested that everyone from attorneys to witnesses to law enforcement to the victim’s family be restrained from making public statements about the cases.

Judge Richard Mrazik denied that order, finding it too broad.

Utah prosecutors are seeking a gag order in the case of Kouri Richins, who wrote and promoted a children’s book on grief after allegedly poisoning her husband.

Jun 2, 2023, 06:18 PM EDT

The woman who allegedly killed her husband and then promoted a children’s book she authored about grieving his death has been speaking to a documentary filmmaker while in jail awaiting trial, according to prosecutors.

imo, may be the article is a bit confusing. Title of the article reads prosecutors seek gag order and first paragraph of the article states attorneys for Kamas woman asking judge to seek gag order.

It appears the state wants the gag order in place.

For me, this part of the article is interesting ...

Then on Thursday, defense attorneys filed a motion asking that Richins be allowed “to appear at all in-court proceedings in civilian clothes instead of a prison uniform and without restraint by any means, including shackles.”

In addition, the defense is asking that once the trial begins, that measures be taken to make sure jurors never see Richins in restraints either in or outside the courtroom, and that should their client be found guilty, that the same rules continue to apply during a sentencing hearing.

@arielilane continues:
  • Of course, she (KR) has the right to a defense and I believe the defense team is going to do whatever it takes to defend their client as they should. Additionally, imo, there is a mountain of solid evidence against her and the street clothes are an important factor, yet minor, a visual sight of being dressed properly could be helpful. Perhaps a reminder she is a mom. As I know you already know all of this. :)

All speculation on my part and guesses, not fact.
I have seen other kinds of restraints that are not visible:

--Arias had a stun belt
--Chandler Halderson (I think it was) judge said his hands could be shackled to the table if he felt he needed to do that

IME, even if allowed to be in civilian clothes, that's usually only for certain hearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches