UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by swedeheart, Aug 20, 2021.

1. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

Before their deaths, the couple was last seen at a bar in Moab, Woody’s Tavern, on Friday, August 13, at around 9:30 p.m. A post to the tavern’s Facebook post says “these two women were very much in love with each other and their focus and attention were always on each other,” adding that despite reports the women had been followed out, “no one followed them out the door.” The post goes on to criticize how investigators are handling the investigation.

The Grand County Sheriff’s Office, while confirming an investigation is underway, say they believed there is no danger to the public.

“How are we safe if you have a double homicide?” Hunter asked. ”You don’t have a suspect in custody. You’re not claiming it was a murder-suicide so how are we possibly safe? It honestly feels like they’re just trying to protect the tourism industry in Moab.”
    What happened to Crystal Turner and Kylen Schulte in Moab, Utah?

Woody’s Tavern Facebook, owner post

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    misgrn, livstabler, MessyLee and 21 others like this.

2. Springrain

Springrain Who was the 1980 Ventura County Jane Doe?

Thank you @imstilla.grandma for posting all these great articles! Very helpful to have a good compilation of sources.

I am also confused on when they were spotted leaving Woody's Tavern, as I have also seen different times from different sources. I guess all we know for sure is that they were last seen leaving the tavern at between 9:00-12:00 on late August 13/early August 14. I need to look up what CSH and Kylen's dad said about the timing, because I would trust them the most.

The townspeople of Moab must be feeling very unsafe now, knowing there is possibly a murderer roaming around them, and many seem to believe (including me) that LE is incorrect when they say there's nothing to worry about and that they're safe. These two women were brutally raped and shot multiple times each - their murderer has not been found - how are the people of Moab safe???

LAhiker, misgrn, Snoopster and 11 others like this.
  3. Deerrun

Deerrun Well-Known Member

Jmo because I need to find where I read it but from what I remember reading, the girls left the bar around 9 then went to a friends house near by and left the friends at midnight to go to their campsite. If someone finds that before me please post.

ETA https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oxygen.com/crime-news/could-satellites-be-key-to-solving-crystal-turner-kylen-schulte-murders?amp

"According to Jensen, after leaving the bar, the couple went over to a friend’s house until just after midnight before returning to their campsite sometime around 1 a.m."

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  4. Claroon

Claroon Well-Known Member

I thought of the same scenario as you have here but didn't know of the Moonflower connection until today. So, yes, very possible.
    My other speculation is their obsession with morbidity (podcast, arwork...) and if he somehow planned to murder someone just to make himself famous in an odd kind of sociopathic way? So I want to know if he is indeed the murderer of the 2 women & GP, was it part of a wild plan? Or was it spontaneous?

Marg from Oz, Tutter, Deerrun and 4 others like this.
  5. Springrain

Springrain Who was the 1980 Ventura County Jane Doe?

To be honest, I don't actually think the above scenario is what happened, but it is just the best scenario I could foresee happening with the Brian Laundrie connection. That being said, I don't think he was connected, and it was just poor timing on his part for the Moonflower fight. But he definitely did succeed at making himself famous in a sociopathic way...

6. imstilla.grandma

Reposting surveillance video from Woody’s Tavern so everyone can look at their faces again. We remember their loved ones want justice. They need to know what happened since the last time these women were seen alive. These flashes of smiles turn into heartbreaking moments of bodies lain on the ground never to move again. Who murdered Kylen and Crystal? Is a killer on the loose? Is this town reeling? One day, they’re just a normal small town and then there’s women dead, a possible killer near and a fugitive on the loose. How would my town or your town handle these sudden circumstances and consequences? Idk…

Family of two women found dead in Moab mourns the loss of young couple
    (BONUS) The Campers

LAhiker, misgrn, Marg from Oz and 6 others like this.
  7. imstilla.grandma

8. JayWill

JayWill Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me if two men were involved in this rape and murder. Some men seem to be really insulted that a same sex female couple can get along without men.

9. imstilla.grandma

The couple, who married in April, were semi-regulars at Woody’s Tavern in Moab, says bar manager Arielle Beck.

Beck (not related to Crystal Beck) said the pair were there from about 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Aug. 13 and that this was the last time they were seen at Woody’s, although police and local media reported that they were seen there again the following evening. Arielle Beck claims she worked both nights and hasn’t seen them since Friday.
    Surveillance footage of murdered married couple shows how they complain that 'weird' stays with them

*Bar manager google hmm….

LAhiker, misgrn, Marg from Oz and 5 others like this.
  10. imstilla.grandma

11. imstilla.grandma

12. HereToday25

HereToday25 Member

Yes the rabbit Ruth was in her travel carrier as if they were packing up or getting ready to go out. Maybe they said something to him and it escalated

13. RstJ

RstJ Active Member

"According to Jensen, after leaving the bar, the couple went over to a friend’s house until just after midnight before returning to their campsite sometime around 1 a.m."

So they were *not* last seen at Woody's Tavern! And this fact has stayed hidden for two months until the PI discovered it.

Is this the source for the 2nd creeper man story? The one where he'd moved closer, brought clothes, and intimidated them? The one where K/C said if anything happened to them, creeper man did it?

R st J

LAhiker, misgrn, Marg from Oz and 6 others like this.
  14. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Another interview with Cindy Sue Hunter (with Gray Hughes and Crackin'Cases- Live now):

15. Deerrun

Deerrun Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the 2nd source, no msm that I know of, but imo it is a good possibility.
    Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wish they just fell asleep at their friends then brought others with them to pack up their camp site. This case is so senseless and cruel and will be one that always pulls at my heart.

16. Bluebythec

Bluebythec Well-Known Member

I wish this case was getting more media attention! It's an horrific crime and these ladies deserve to be represented!

17. kelsie

kelsie Missing Persons Advocate, Writer, and Researcher

I live close to here and I am freaked the hell out that this ah0le hasn't been caught.

LAhiker, My2Boys, misgrn and 16 others like this.
  18. Plastic bottles in a pile
    Rabbit in carrier no food or water

My opinion, they was packing up to leave. And the creepy guy saw this.

LAhiker, misgrn, Lalalacasbah and 6 others like this.
  19. Bluebythec

Bluebythec Well-Known Member

It was said they got back to the site around midnight and they had to be at work at 5:30 so he must have seemed very threatening by then or they would have just left in the morning I think. JMO

LAhiker, misgrn, Marg from Oz and 2 others like this.
  20. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a mixed motive for the perpetrator: People whom I fundamentally dont like "stole" my claimed spot.

As a side note, there has also been a double murder motivated in part by: "Too many hunters with not enough prime lake and.... not enough ducks" type thinking.

Likewise, when I lived in SOCAL, there were periodic vicious assaults over "claimed" surfing spots- also motivated by too many surfers and not enough truly surfable waves.

The SOCAL surfer beatdowns and the TN double duck murder, however, occurred at very desirable spots for that kind of activity and had featured past incidents of territorial driven intimidation (usually vandalism of unattended "trespasser" property).

I wonder if the camping sites there are widely held to be attractive and if there has been a past history of people making "claims" and petty intimidation of others? Though the absence of such does not eliminate the motive, a history of "claims" and intimidation around area campsites would strengthen it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021