UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by swedeheart, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

Bolded by me....

This statement by the mom is quite different than what court records indicate. I understand that the mom is grieving and there is always a tendency to not speak ill of someone murdered in such horrible circumstances, but it's not 100% accurate. You can read the case for termination of parental rights here: Beck v. Ark. Dep't of Human Servs. & Minor Children, 528 S.W.3d 869 | Casetext Search + Citator

It gives an interesting picture of Crystal's life after she first moved to Utah. Her living situation was not stable at that time either and had been attained by unusual means. She had not completed her outpatient treatment and the court specifically says it was not convinced of her sobriety as she had repeatedly failed drug screens and attempted to manipulate the results of mandatory screens.

I don't know whether any of her past or present behavior proved to be a risk factor for her murder. She definitely didn't deserve for this to happen to her - it needs to be solved no matter what she was involved in, past or present. However, it does no good to pretend that these circumstances of her life do not exist when establishing how she came to be a victim. They may or may not be significant; they cannot be ignored. MOO.

Flurries, Bethan, PezCandy and 23 others like this.

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

^^rsbbm

I'm sorry if my post was unclear. More specifically, take note Beverly did NOT speak to the court custody issues-- this information was by the podcast narrator.

I also don't think the podcast misrepresented the custody issue as they did indicate repeated attempts to regain custody were denied for testing positive for alcohol and drug use, exactly as stated in the post above quoted by OP.

From the Dept of Human Services case link by OP dated 9/20/2017, the court further confirmed the victim and witnesses credible testimony regarding Crystal's compliance at the time of the hearing -- something she'd not achieved while residing in AR, and that Crystal continued to work the case plan even after her rights terminated which the AR Court deemed too little to. While the court made the decision in the best interest of the children, IMO, Crystal deserves earned credit when it's due. More important, her children will always know that their mother fought for them and never gave up.

Beck v Ark Dept of Human Services:

She [Crystal] had moved to the state of Utah and, due to difficulty with travel, was late for the hearing. The termination hearing was finally held on December 16, 2016. The court heard from numerous witnesses, including Beck, regarding Beck's compliance with the case plan, the adoptability of the children, and the progress of the children in therapy and foster care. The court found the Department's witnesses to be credible in this regard.

[..]

The court noted that Beck had moved to Utah after the permanency-planning hearing and that, since that hearing, she had attempted to make progress on the case plan. However, the court found that Beck's resumption of contact and her efforts to participate in the case plan or follow the orders of the court both after the permanency-planning hearing and before the termination-of-parental-rights hearing, were insufficient to prevent termination of her parental rights.

[..]

Here, the trial court acknowledged that Beck had recently made some progress but found that her progress was too little, too late. Thus, the trial court clearly considered and weighed Beck's compliance throughout the entire case and did not reject her last-minute efforts out of hand.Thus, the trial court clearly considered and weighed Beck's compliance throughout the entire case and did not reject her last-minute efforts out of hand.

GarAndTeed, Jazzy5980, misgrn and 9 others like this.
  3. Yuletide

Yuletide Well-Known Member

This above information explains alot and adds clarity. It also, in my opinion, enhances the possibility that this was not a random double murder. (although it still could be)

watcher9, PezCandy, Jazzy5980 and 8 others like this.
  4. Chelly

Chelly Always Remember Teghan Skiba

From the beginning I have believed that someone wanted one of the couple dead.

5. iamnotagolem

iamnotagolem Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a way to find arrest dates for the jail inmates? Since LE immediately said no threat to the public, I’ve wondered if they arrested someone on other charges and are building a case.

6. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

You can search the state of Utah by offender name or ID at Vine link where the date and facility are provided as well as information if the offender transferred between facilities/counties.

VINELink

ETA: add the link to Grand County jail inmate list

Jail Inmate List | Grand County, UT - Official Website

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  7. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

8. blackbeary

blackbeary Well-Known Member

9. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

Kylen's dad:

Sean-Paul SchulteRemembering Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner (Beck)
    · tu556t 1o0h0g4nsihrsr7u ·

UPDATE.
    BIG NEWS.
    The sheriff's warrent info mentions a cell phone(probably the girls)
    and four silver, 9mm, casings we're found at the scene.
    THIS IS BIG NEWS !!! WE NOW KNOW WE ARE LOOKING FOR ANY LEADS ON A HOT 9mm
    IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO WAS TRYING TO SELL/BUY A HOT 9mm semi-auto PISTOL AUGUST 14TH AND ON. CALL THE TIP LINE.
    435-259-8115
    MESSAGE Jason K Jensen PI
    IF ANYONE TRIED TO DUMP A 9mm on you PLEASE PLEASE TIP US OFF
    SILVER BULLETS. 9mm. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

Though I have only a moderate interest in guns, nearly all the semi automatic casings that I have seen have been brass colored.

The only common silver casings that I remember were for revolvers, not semi automatic handguns. How common are silver casings for semi automatic handguns?

In short, if silver casings are truly unusual, perhaps a local, or relatively local source for the ammunition can be traced? Also, could silver colored casings indicate a home re-loader?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    watcher9, swedeheart, LAhiker and 5 others like this.
  11. iamnotagolem

Silver casings usually are steel, not brass and steel casings aren’t typically reloaded because they are brittle and crack. Brass casings are used for reloading.

watcher9, Bethan, misgrn and 9 others like this.
  12. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

RBBM

Conspiracy to commit murder means more than one person was involved in the plan or plot to murder these two ladies because one cannot conduct a conspiracy with oneself. If these two ladies reported seeing a creeper guy and if he is one of the killers, then, he had to have at least one accomplice and together they conspired to commit the crimes against the women. How very terrifying for them!

watcher9, Bethan and Chelly like this.
  13. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

4 of her 5 children have died? :eek:....:(

14. Chelly

Chelly Always Remember Teghan Skiba

Stated this once or twice already...Still believe this was not a random killing. Nothing reported yet has changed my thinking. Just my opinion.

15. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

Thanks. In regards to a vendor, how common are steel casings?

watcher9 and j_in_c like this.
  16. RstJ

RstJ Active Member

There are a couple problem areas that have never been illuminated:

a) Who was the unknown POI in the early stages of the investigation and what was the reason for the interest?

b) Why did LE initially think the couple were last seen on Aug 14? I cannot find a named source for this info yet Woody's owner insists that police believed this was the date.

c) who is the source for the 2nd report of the Creeper Man? KB said nothing about clothes, or moving campsites, or joking about being murdered:

“We were just having a great time, having a couple drinks, and all they said was there was a creep [staying] next to them,” said Kayla Borza, who was one of the last people to see Kylen Schulte, 24, and Crystal Beck, 38, alive. “And that was it.”

Neither of them shared further details about the strange man, Borza told The Daily Beast, adding, “I don’t know why the creep wanted to kill them.”

That last one is super important. I know I've been on about that more than once, but if they were last seen Aug 13 at 20:30, then KB is the last known person they talked to--where was the rest coming from that was quoted later in so many articles? All the "moving clothes and food" stuff where they were going to change their campsite (but apparently didn't?)

R.st.J

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. iamnotagolem

It’s not rare, if that’s what you’re wondering. Anytime you’re at the range you’ll find steel casings left behind.

watcher9, Matic and j_in_c like this.
  18. blackbeary

blackbeary Well-Known Member

KSL.com has a new article about the guns possibly being stolen in this case. I tried to paste the link here. Will anyone be successful in doing this for us ?

watcher9 likes this.
  19. Wendigo4

Wendigo4 Active Member

watcher9, DeDee, Kittybunny and 5 others like this.
  20. RstJ

RstJ Active Member

Schulte is also looking for information regarding any vehicles seen coming off forestry road 4651 in the La Sal mountains around the time of the murder. Anyone with tips can also call Schulte's private investigator: Jason K. Jensen 801-759-2248.

There are a cluster of farm buildings at the end of that road. The main traffic'd part of the road stops right in the middle of those buildings which are not abandoned at the time of the flyover used to make the google map. I am not talking about the vacation houses at Whispering Oaks--these houses look like operational farm buildings about a mile down further down Road 4651.

I know the crime happened at the other end of this road, but surely this farm (ranch?) operation must use that road to get to the La Sal loop. The condition of the road suggests it is by far the most heavily used in the area. Wouldn't they have been in a good position to notice anything unusual?

R.st.J

watcher9, DeDee, blackbeary and 2 others like this.