UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

The ranch at the end of the forest road is listed for sale on zilo and is described as a bison ranch. The campsite crime scene is basically on the driveway leading to the ranch. The campsite 'creek' is an irrigation ditch that feeds the pond down on the ranch used to supply water to pivot irrigation circles.

I'm guessing that someone lives at the ranch so would come and go past the campsite frequently. Any maintenance done on the irrigation ditch would probably be done by the ranchers. The dirt pile that concealed the poor victim was probably dug out of the ditch by a backhoe as part of regular ditch work.

The ranchers were probably used to seeing campers parked there all the time and perhaps couldnt see much from the road as they drove past. It does seem like a long time for the victims to remain undiscovered if the word was out that they were missing. A rancher, realtor or someone from the resort could have quickly checked that place if there were aware.

It's hard to not see one similarity between this and Katherine Janness (Atlanta) - seemingly little attention devoted to the brutal, random killing of 3 LGBTQ women. JMO. (I'm not suggested the two cases are connected.)

If two killers are involved, according to two sets of dna found and tested then, the killer(s) were not on the nat'l registry as being felons, correct?

Have these two Unsubs Killers just not gotten caught before, hence, their dna is not on nat'l file?

The brutality of placement, the locations of their gunshot wounds, sounds so very painful; torso and sides facing the killer, who was facing the victim(s) from the front, I suppose. Then, maybe the victim turns slightly exposing their sides when hoping to avoid more gunshots. What kind of sheer terror these ladies endured that fateful night!

Bullets, the .22 caliber, tumble when they enter soft tissue, causing a good deal of damage to interior organs and vessels making a mess. I think the army uses the .22 caliber bullet for our soldiers who carry.

It is only the written Search Warrant that lends itself to more than one suspect's involvement in the untimely deaths of Crystal and Kylen. Yes or no? And, dna may not be the only evidential distinction in the number of killers involved. Yes or no?

JMVHOO

This above information explains alot and adds clarity. It also, in my opinion, enhances the possibility that this was not a random double murder. (although it still could be)

Do we think 'the creep' they mentioned at the campsite was the murderer, or just a random shady individual that also happened to be there?

Do we think 'the creep' they mentioned at the campsite was the murderer, or just a random shady individual that also happened to be there?

In my opinion, “the creep” that camped too close is too coincidental to fall off the radar completely. I think he’s somehow involved, but I think it’s also possible that it was a targeted crime and that creep may have been involved after the murders. Perhaps, violating post mortem. With so little information, it’s difficult to say

If two killers are involved, according to two sets of dna found and tested then, the killer(s) were not on the nat'l registry as being felons, correct?

Have these two Unsubs Killers just not gotten caught before, hence, their dna is not on nat'l file?

The brutality of placement, the locations of their gunshot wounds, sounds so very painful; torso and sides facing the killer, who was facing the victim(s) from the front, I suppose. Then, maybe the victim turns slightly exposing their sides when hoping to avoid more gunshots. What kind of sheer terror these ladies endured that fateful night!

Bullets, the .22 caliber, tumble when they enter soft tissue, causing a good deal of damage to interior organs and vessels making a mess. I think the army uses the .22 caliber bullet for our soldiers who carry.

It is only the written Search Warrant that lends itself to more than one suspect's involvement in the untimely deaths of Crystal and Kylen. Yes or no? And, dna may not be the only evidential distinction in the number of killers involved. Yes or no?

JMVHOO
The US military has never, ever issued .22 caliber sidearms. The classic military sidearm for almost the entire 20th century was the 1911 Colt .45 which is still preferred by special forces and many other "real combat" soldiers. The general issue sidearm has come to be the modular Sig Sauer 9mm, recently replacing the Baretta 9mm.

.22 "long rifle" is mainly shot because it is inexpensive, for recreational and other budget shooting or for hunting very small game like squirrel or rabbit. It does not tumble, even out of small concealable "pocket guns" which considering the presumable magazine capacity, I don't believe this to have been.

Being shot by .22lr is similar to being stabbed by a 10 inch ice pick.

JMVHOO
If the suspect is not in the system yet, it's time to bring in Parabon, or Ortham to run the DNA found thru their systems. LE would have 0 problem paying for it, if crowd funded.

The US military has never, ever issued .22 caliber sidearms. The classic military sidearm for almost the entire 20th century was the 1911 Colt .45 which is still preferred by special forces and many other "real combat" soldiers. The general issue sidearm has come to be the modular Sig Sauer 9mm, recently replacing the Baretta 9mm.

.22 "long rifle" is mainly shot because it is inexpensive, for recreational and other budget shooting or for hunting very small game like squirrel or rabbit. It does not tumble, even out of small concealable "pocket guns" which considering the presumable magazine capacity, I don't believe this to have been.

Not being even remotely familiar with weapons, bullets, guns etc. I always greatly appreciate others sharing their knowledge!

I hope that being able to connect the bullet casings to the stolen weapons is the break this case needs. It's just heartbreaking that this case seems to get so little attention.

Not being even remotely familiar with weapons, bullets, guns etc. I always greatly appreciate others sharing their knowledge!

I hope that being able to connect the bullet casings to the stolen weapons is the break this case needs. It's just heartbreaking that this case seems to get so little attention.
I just went back and looked at the previously posted info without seeing anything at all about .22 caliber casings or slugs.

What I do see is appeals for info about a stolen 9mm or shotgun or .308 bolt action rifle and some second hand indication that it's possible one or more of these guns might be tied to bullet casings. I hope that law enforcement has more specific evidence than that and are just hoping that locating any of the stolen guns might lead to the appropriately chambered gun which might be connected to the crime scene.

It would be nice if it were already established that one of the stolen guns does match found casings (from spent casings the owner had in his possession) since the guns could have been altered or destroyed since the crime. As it is, it seems like pretty weak leads but we've seen that investigators play their cards very close to their chests these days.

I would very much like to see this one solved rather than just forgotten about as the Gabby circus moves on.

Last edited:

Thank you for clarifying with details.

Here is my problem: I don't understand how I came to believe the two ladies were shot with .22 caliber bullets. Has the contrary data been in MSM and I chose to overlook or, even worse, chose to ignore the actual caliber?

He's now focusing on something found at the crime scene in the La Sal Mountains.

It's a silver-colored 9 mm bullet," Schulte said. "It's a very specific ammo."

Four casings were also found, according to a search warrant from the Grand County Sheriff's Office. That, coupled with the recent discovery that some weapons were stolen in Montezuma County, Colorado, just a couple of weeks before the murders that occurred on Aug. 13.

Schulte says that information first came through a tip he received at a tip booth he set up in Moab. KSL obtained an incident report from the Montezuma County Sheriff's Office confirming that a 9 mm Turkish-made pistol was reported stolen, along with a Turkish-made shotgun and bolt-action hunting rifle.

Stolen guns may match bullet-casings of Moab double homicide

He's now focusing on something found at the crime scene in the La Sal Mountains.

It's a silver-colored 9 mm bullet," Schulte said. "It's a very specific ammo."

Four casings were also found, according to a search warrant from the Grand County Sheriff's Office. That, coupled with the recent discovery that some weapons were stolen in Montezuma County, Colorado, just a couple of weeks before the murders that occurred on Aug. 13.

Schulte says that information first came through a tip he received at a tip booth he set up in Moab. KSL obtained an incident report from the Montezuma County Sheriff's Office confirming that a 9 mm Turkish-made pistol was reported stolen, along with a Turkish-made shotgun and bolt-action hunting rifle.

Stolen guns may match bullet-casings of Moab double homicide
All these different articles have slightly different phrasing. The way this one is phrased makes me wonder if perhaps some ammo was also stolen with the guns and law enforcement believes the ammo found is a match for that stolen ammo.

The ranch at the end of the forest road is listed for sale on zilo and is described as a bison ranch. The campsite crime scene is basically on the driveway leading to the ranch. The campsite 'creek' is an irrigation ditch that feeds the pond down on the ranch used to supply water to pivot irrigation circles.

I'm guessing that someone lives at the ranch so would come and go past the campsite frequently. Any maintenance done on the irrigation ditch would probably be done by the ranchers. The dirt pile that concealed the poor victim was probably dug out of the ditch by a backhoe as part of regular ditch work.

The ranchers were probably used to seeing campers parked there all the time and perhaps couldnt see much from the road as they drove past. It does seem like a long time for the victims to remain undiscovered if the word was out that they were missing. A rancher, realtor or someone from the resort could have quickly checked that place if there were aware.

This is interesting information. Was the camp site where the murder took place on private property? Many ranchers have game cameras. I wonder if this was explored by LE.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is, we’re the casings found from the bullets used to kill them? Or they just found casings in the area that were from a theft?
You can't match slugs to casings so it's technically circumstantial to assume that spent casings recovered from a crime scene in the same caliber as the slugs from the victims were part of the same event but it is strong enough circumstantial evidence to pursue a case.

People think that it's slugs that get matched to firearms from watching cop shows but the reality of that is there only a limited window where that works. The rifling of a barrel changes gradually as rounds travel down it so the 100th slug through a barrel won't necessarily have any resemblance to the first slug down it. The hammer, on the other hand, is not subject to the same stress the barrel is and will make a matching impact mark on spent casings for as long as it goes without a teardown (and, to some extent, as long as the same unmodified hammer is used). Ballistics is not an exact science.

This is interesting information. Was the camp site where the murder took place on private property? Many ranchers have game cameras. I wonder if this was explored by LE.
I think it was in Manti-La Sal National Forest, but possibly adjacent to private property. Several web sites recommend the area for dispersed camping.
Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!
7 Best Places for Free Dispersed Camping in Moab

Not everyone around there is a fan of the dispersed camping.
Letter to the Editor: Free dispersed camping is neither dispersed nor free

I wonder if the homicide was sparked by someone unhappy with them camping there, or perhaps another camper who really wanted that particular spot (creepy guy?), and/or thought they had overstayed their 14 day limit. MOO

I think it was in Manti-La Sal National Forest, but possibly adjacent to private property. Several web sites recommend the area for dispersed camping.
Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!
7 Best Places for Free Dispersed Camping in Moab

Not everyone around there is a fan of the dispersed camping.
Letter to the Editor: Free dispersed camping is neither dispersed nor free

I wonder if the homicide was sparked by someone unhappy with them camping there, or perhaps another camper who really wanted that particular spot (creepy guy?), and/or thought they had overstayed their 14 day limit. MOO

I'm certain potential fire is just one of the dangers of dispersed camping, with so many utilizing it. Trash being left behind is a possibility along with the issue of proper sewage disposal methods. (some campers are self contained, but it sounds like many of these campers are living out of regular vehicles.) This could be, indeed, a possible motive.

I think that is clearly possible.

At the same time, most attacks for those motives seem to involve a build up as the perpetrator is not a career criminal and needs to arrive at a mental state where he or she is willing to use violence over the real or perceived issues.

Possible examples of a build up in this case would be the victims previously complaining of vandalism or theft from their campsite, being "advised" that they were on private land- even if they were not. An individual aggressively asks how long they intend to stay- while hinting that they have "claimed" that spot. Somebody target practicing close to the camp site.

Or, a landowner repeatedly calling the sheriff about real or imagined fire hazards, then litter, then alleged drug dealing, then blaming them for cattle gates being left open etc.

The “creek” / irrigation ditch sounds like it is on the bison ranch property and is used to supply a pond used for irrigation of crops maybe? This could be a point of potential conflict if campers in the area were perceived to be polluting that water source. Just an idea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back