Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

Police will confirm that Lueck’s cell phone is currently powered down and that it was turned off once she met up with an unknown person at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake just before 3 a.m. on June 17.

“Pretty much right after the contact was made at the park—that’s when things went dark,” said Detective Greg Wilking.

That's interesting. I NEVER turn off my phone. I may turn the ringer off, but I don't turn off my phone.

Could things have gone bad almost immediately?

Given what police have said, it sounds like the best thing that friends can do to help locate Kenzie is to share with police all information they have about her online profiles. Her phone was turned off after she met with someone at the park. That tells us that either Kenzie or the driver wanted to eliminate the digital trail at that moment. My guess is that this was the driver's decision. Assuming that it was the driver, that suggests that the driver was very careful to avoid a digital footprint in all communication with Kenzie.

Did Kenzie mention using any new apps? Did she have a normal routine in terms of switching to a particular app after initial contact with someone? For example, I typically switch to WhatsApp after initial contact. The identity of the person she met is somewhere in her digital world.

If she had an iphone and an ipad or other Apple product, the devices are usually paired, so it's easy to see which apps are downloaded. Do you know whether she had an iphone? That would be too easy, but it might be the only hope of following the digital trail.

A search warrant on her email provider may be their best hope of finding many of her apps.

Usually you need an email address to sign up for these things.

An astute obsever in another thread noted there was a cell tower almost across the street from the park

I have to assume it would pick up pings from every vehicle that passed on the freeway, but also phone pings from her Lyft, her phone, and the perp’s phone - assuming the perp called from there.

The time of the Lyft driver’s call could be used to pinpoint when the perp’s car was there, and if she contacted he perp as they were driving up. A lot of forensic communications searches for the FBI, but that’s what they are there for.

Also, perhaps a camera from the apt across the street caught headlights turning into the parking lot.

This person didn’t necessarily have to know that she had her location available.

Even if this is not the case, a phone is basically a tracking device (which many criminals are aware of).

Here’s my issue with this:

There seem to be strong indications that she knew this person, as I can’t imagine a first time meetup at that time and that location.

The Lyft driver also apparently gave indications that there was some familiarity (she was happy to see this person).

So why pick her up and tip your hand immediately?

You probably can’t turn her phone off, or have her turn her phone off without drawing suspicion.

There’s the chance that she could escape, a struggle could ensue, and whatever you’re planning goes to hell.

So I’m struggling to understand the timing of her phone being shut off.

Either that’s wrong, she did it herself, her phone died, or this guy lives very close to that park (or they traveled to a location nearby).

Weird.
We agree, I see. BBM

BBM - wow that's what I was waiting for - clarification that she did have location available on her phone to certain people. It pops up on text messages under "info" if it is enabled.... whoever shut that phone off must have known this about her - leaning more and more towards she knew the person she was meeting in the park. IMO
Not necessarily. Someone with nefarious motives would have quickly, immediately checked phone and powered it down and done everything he could to keep the phone out of her hands and keep anyone from knowing where she was.

Just a thought ... could the person who was supposed to pick her up have not shown up or canceled (hence the long wait time before getting the Lyft) so she reached out to someone else (maybe one of her newer contacts) and they said they wouldn't drive all the way to the airport but would meet halfway at the park?

Ok that's fair. So in your opinion though, somebody who is smart enough to have a burner as not to be IDed and tracked down...would that person go meet somebody at 3am in a dark parking lot with no others around? There is a naivety here that tells me she was not being careful. I am not victim blaming, but I am saying I think she may have not been in as much control of the situation as she thought she might have been. A lot of her SM trail has been discovered by true strangers (here, reddit, FB, all over), and to me that shows she wasn't concerned about hiding what she was doing.
I do think some young ladies are not as worldly as they think they are. Many are actually naive, easily manipulated when thinking they are in control and thus not as careful as one needs to be on ANY dating site. Overconfident and taking risks perhaps because some previous meets have been successful. I am speaking in general terms and not specifically about the victim in this situation.

Last edited:
Understood. I don't question her comfort in taking a Lyft. Totally get that.

I question her date's decision to not pick her up. If he wanted to see a woman at 3am, he can drive the extra 11 miles to pick her up. If he was truly interested in her in any way, other than purely selfish ways, he would have done that, imo. Especially if he was into being the big man who pampers his dates.

It's a big ol' waving red flag to me, as someone who is well beyond this age group, that this was not done. Has nothing to do, really, about ridesharing being a thing. It has to do with what his intentions were, and from what we can see, his intentions were not good. And, I think it has to do with avoiding cameras.

jmo...from someone whose been around the block

jmo

"Has nothing to do, really, about ridesharing being a thing. It has to do with what his intentions were, and from what we can see, his intentions were not good. And, I think it has to do with avoiding cameras."

I'm thinking along the same lines too. Anyone would know that with security at airports as high as it is now, there would be camera's everywhere.

If ML phone was indeed powered off at the time she was dropped off at the park. It's easy to come to the conclusion the intent was to stop a digital tracking of her. Just like that.

And that someone was taking an awful lot of care not to be traceable.

For example - the nearby cell tower is likely picking up signals from every passing vehicle, - does that serve to obscure the perp’s communications?

I know we’ve been over the size of the bag:

She’s in the process of leaving SLC for the summer to head back to El Segundo after the term ends, so it makes sense she has been using a generou-sized bag to take clothes, shoes, etc back down ther with her.

She also probably doesn’t have too many bags

I don’t think she was moving home for summer. The summer classes go until the last day of July and fall classes start in August.

Search all the sugar daddies houses in area ? can't be that many.

This may surprise you:

According to Seeking Arrangement’s data, 71 percent of the site’s users in Utah are Mormon. And, like our man Ron, 52.1 percent of sugar daddies in Salt Lake City are married. This statistic makes Salt Lake City the second-highest in the country for having cheating sugar daddies, right behind Birmingham, Ala., at 58.2 percent. bbm

Sugar Daddy

Just learned on the Jennifer Dulos thread there is an app called Burner. Thought I would pass along the info, although IHNI if MK had it or why she would have it. I know nothing about it.

Burner | Get A Free Phone Number - Fake Temporary Phone Numbers

Yeah for years on end there were similar things too like Sideline right through your own cell phone. There have been ways for more than a decade to appear to be calling your wife from another state than the one you are in, etc. too. (she thinks you are in Ohio on a business trip but you are in Vegas with well, someone else). Just get online and run the call through a service that does that (many years back) (not even any cell phone or landline or phone needed).

For every one of these things though, there are ways to determine they were used or counter apps, just as there are for spamming a GPS system in a taxi and alternatively, determining if that was done.

The thing is though with some of these other numbers on an app on your phone, you are still making a call from your own cell phone. With a burner phone, that would not apply.

I give up keeping up here so do not know where this post will fall. Just my 2c worth.

All jmo.

From the article:

Police will confirm that Lueck’s cell phone is currently powered down and that it was turned off once she met up with an unknown person at Hatch Park in North Salt Lake just before 3 a.m. on June 17.

“Pretty much right after the contact was made at the park—that’s when things went dark,” said Detective Greg Wilking.

Trying to think positively here (it's hard!) but maybe this is a sign that she just went off grid.

Is it possible to tell if her phone died on its own, rather than being physically turned off? That being said, I don’t think it died on its own because she had been traveling and *probably* had a charger. She was holding the phone in her hand in the airport stills, and I feel like she’d have put it in her bag if it was out of battery. It’s very hard for me to imagine a situation in which ML willingly shut off her phone, especially at that time of night.
She texted her mom upon arrival - wonder what that text said exactly??

This person didn’t necessarily have to know that she had her location available.

Even if this is not the case, a phone is basically a tracking device (which many criminals are aware of).

Here’s my issue with this:

There seem to be strong indications that she knew this person, as I can’t imagine a first time meetup at that time and that location.

The Lyft driver also apparently gave indications that there was some familiarity (she was happy to see this person).

So why pick her up and tip your hand immediately?

You probably can’t turn her phone off, or have her turn her phone off without drawing suspicion.

There’s the chance that she could escape, a struggle could ensue, and whatever you’re planning goes to hell.

So I’m struggling to understand the timing of her phone being shut off.

Either that’s wrong, she did it herself, her phone died, or this guy lives very close to that park (or they traveled to a location nearby).

Weird.

I’m struggling with that, too. Maybe the reporting is off (which is highly likely), but I agree with your reasoning on why the phone went off. I can’t imagine she was immediately harmed. If it’s true, I would lean towards her turning it off herself, and coupled with the rumor her parents don’t believe she’s in Utah, could be possible good news that she’s alive.

This thread is moving so fast it's so hard to keep up but I was wondering, do we think the FBI is involved means they think she may have been transported over state lines?? Isn't that typically when we see the FBI step in? I'm not saying every.single.time. but typically isn't that why FBI gets involved with MP cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member