UT UT - Reed Jeppson, 15, Salt Lake City, 11 Oct 1964

It's too bad the dog bones got destroyed. You can get your dog DNA tested now. While that is for living dogs, I'd think there must be a way to tell the breed or breed through DNA from dog bones, too. Then it could be determined if the breed matched up with the kind of dogs Reed had..

It's too bad the dog bones got destroyed. You can get your dog DNA tested now. While that is for living dogs, I'd think there must be a way to tell the breed or breed through DNA from dog bones, too. Then it could be determined if the breed matched up with the kind of dogs Reed had..
I feel like I read that the neighbour had kept the skulls, so maybe they have them, but don't quote me on that lol

It was most telling for me that when asked about them the good doctor said he must have buried some family pets but when LE spoke to his daughter she categorically denied that they'd ever had dogs.

Medical centers often have incinerators.

Amazing research, by the way!
Thank you :)

I wondered about an incinerator but I don't know how noticeable it would be if a body was being burned? I feel like there'd be a noticeable smell?

I actually don't think Reed's remains will ever be found UNLESS someone digs up a trash bag full of disarticulated bones. I do believe they lie somewhere close to that property because I can't understand why you'd dump the dogs there but then take the body elsewhere when you could just take them both somewhere else. I feel like if the doctor were to be digging in the gully at the end of his property no one would take much notice as it was a construction site anyway. He's probably somewhere in there...which is really disturbing as that's where his siblings used to play as kids!

I believe the good doctor H is guilty as hell but now he's dead and with no body found I think Reed's case won't be officially solved until his remains are stumbled upon. I think there was enough circumstantial evidence (cut up dog bones in his garden, wife's suicide and accusations against Dr H of inappropriate behaviour with his young male patients-as mentioned by LE in the Podcast shared earlier in the thread) that there was reason for LE to question him harder, but unfortunately they didn't and now he's dead.

I can't understand why you'd dump the dogs there but then take the body elsewhere when you could just take them both somewhere else.

My thought on that is that it’s a) easier to account for dead dogs than dead people on your property, and b) easier to move one body than several.

I don't know how noticeable it would be if a body was being burned? I feel like there'd be a noticeable smell?

If the center did have an incinerator, presumably human tissue was among the things disposed of that way - I’m thinking of amputations, removals (tonsils, appendix, etc). Possibly the smell of burning human tissue was either not a novelty or maybe the incinerator (if present) had some sort of filtering on it.

Obviously all pure speculation/ devil’s advocacy.

My thought on that is that it’s a) easier to account for dead dogs than dead people on your property, and b) easier to move one body than several.
Maybe I'm just being too logical but I can't get my head around : "I have a Garbage bag of dog parts and a Garbage bag of human parts, I'll go and hide the human bones but leave the dog bones here where someone might dig them up in the future". If that makes sense? I agree with you about it being easier to explain buried dogs; though weirdly when questioned he didn't even make up a good lie! His own daughter basically called him a liar.

I'm sorry if this sounds graphic but I can't imagine how much mess it would make dissecting 2 dogs and a young man. It'd be interesting to know how far along the construction of his property was and if the basement, complete with operating equipment, was finished. If so it probably had drains and a sink. If not I simply cannot imagine how you would remove the stains etc in time for the builders to return to work the next day and then that would suggest that he actually took Reed elsewhere I think...possibly the medical facility where he worked as you said. I suppose on a Sunday this facility was probably empty, giving him opportunity.

I do not know if this case is connected to another similar disappearance discussed here on websleuths, but I will put a link below to it for your consideration.

The disappearance of Richard John "Dickie" Huerkamp, also age 15, while out hunting, occurred almost exactly a year after Reed went missing. Dickie lived in Mapleton, Minnesota and he remains missing.

LINK:

It seems unlikely that the two cases are related, especially with the evidence that Reed's dogs were dug up in a neighbor's yard.

It is interesting that Dickie, like Reed, disappeared without a trace and hasn't been seen since. After reading the thread, I wonder if his bike and other evidence was staged.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back