Found Deceased UT - Sandra Matott, 37, Salt Lake City, 10 July 1979

Melt71

Reaction score
What do you think about this as a potential? I can't see the rulouts in the UID's case but there are a lot of similarities. www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ut-millard-co-whtfem-up63967-pre-40-skeletal-in-a-shallow-grave-under-a-juniper-tree-aug79.494378/#post-15691777

I followed up with Namus yesterday, more than a year after submitting this potential match. Imagine my surprise to receive a response back confirming that comparison is underway.

@nvarney @cornycook any updates from your sides?

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
In 1984, serial killer Henry Lee Lucas confessed to killing Sandra Matott. His claims were vague, and detectives could not verify his confession. Media reports indicated that Lucas confessed, and later recanted, to hundreds of murders.

Salt Lake Police Chief Mike Brown said: “No matter how much time passes, the detectives of the Salt Lake City Police Department will never let up in their quest to solve every case and to get answers for loved ones. Solving a cold case requires teamwork, dedication and an unrelenting pursuit of justice. That’s how we got to today — because of the teamwork of multiple agencies and the dedication of the current and prior detectives throughout Utah who worked Ms. Matott’s case. They never gave up on this investigation. They recognized the work that needed to be done to get the family of Sandra Matott answers, and for that I could not be prouder.”

Millard County Sheriff Richard Jacobson said: “We are grateful to be in an age where technological advances have provided many avenues for law enforcement to find answers not previously available to them. Without the resources available through NamUs, we don’t know how much longer Sandra Matott would have been unidentified. We send our condolences to her family for their loss and many years of waiting. It is an honor to us that we were able to help bring them some answers.”
SLCPD announces closure of 1979 missing persons cold case | Gephardt Daily

YaYa_521

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers go out to all who love Sandra. I hope LE can now solve her case so she can receive the justice she deserves. May she rest in eternal peace.

@Melt71 Thank you for all your efforts to help find Sandra so she could have her name back. Your dedication to her case is greatly appreciated. Great job, my friend! :)

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Sandra Louise Matott – The Charley Project

Police solve Utah cold case from 1979

On July 18, 1979, Warren Matott reported his wife was missing, claiming she was last seen a week earlier at a Salt Lake City bar.

But police say family members believe by that point, Sandra Matott had actually been missing longer than what her husband was claiming.

[…]

Salt Lake detectives at the time tried to conduct follow-up interviews with Warren Matott but were unsuccessful, the department stated.

[…]

"During the investigation, Sandra Matott's family reported they believed Warren Matott, Sandra's husband, was likely responsible for her disappearance and death," according to police.

Warren Matott died in California in 1999.

7B093BE8-25B1-4ED2-AE13-CE7679CEA9C7.jpeg
A ring and a watch belonging to Sandra Matott were found next to skeletal remains in Millard County in 1979.

SolVic

Reaction score
Her husband will make a fine addition to my “collection”.