UT UT - Spc. Joseph Michael Bushling, 26, Dugway, 8 May 2011

I don't think he was going AWOL.
I don't know what he was doing on a drive at night in the desert.

But, he signed up for 5 more years, he was going to be a nurse,
he seemed to have a lot going for him.

JMO:
And if he planned to hurt himself, perhaps because of a romantic breakup, there are easier ways than a long drive into a desert.

I think something went wrong.
Was he drinking of using some kind of illegal drug?
Did he get confused?
I don't know.

I just hope he is found soon.

I wondered that as well- drinking? drugs? A lot of young military guys drink, and some do drink and drive. Just like young men in general sometimes.

Search suspended for missing Dugway soldier:

"Searchers spotted the hat about six miles west of Bushling’s car, which was found Saturday 64 miles southwest of the Army base’s main gates."
and
"“[Sheriff Frank Park] said it’s nine days into the search, and they’ve thoroughly searched the area — including the area where the hat was found,” Mathews said."​

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15572323

(snip)
Park said crews will search the caves to see if there is any indications that Bushling found a spot to get out of the elements, but pending further information, the search would be suspended until the weekend.

IMO, Joseph would have had to ride out with someone to go AWOL. Where the car was found leads me away from the AWOL theory. It was just too far out there to walk out.

they're suspending the search until the weekend???????!!!!!!!!!! it's only Monday!

what?! that can't be right ... he'll be dead by then if he's still barely hanging on now

they've thoroughly searched the area? didn't we hear previously something about 100% certainty that his car was not there AND then they found the car?! and then they found his hat?!

omg I'm so annoyed

is this what a soldier's life is worth???????? is this what anyone's life is worth???????

unless they have info that he is actually AWOL - if not, this is completely and utterly unacceptable

they're suspending the search until the weekend???????!!!!!!!!!! it's only Monday!

what?! that can't be right ... he'll be dead by then if he's still barely hanging on now

they've thoroughly searched the area? didn't we hear previously something about 100% certainty that his car was not there AND then they found the car?! and then they found his hat?!

The car was found outside the previous search area.

IMO, Joseph would have had to ride out with someone to go AWOL. Where the car was found leads me away from the AWOL theory. It was just too far out there to walk out.

I'm totally confused by this one.

The hat was found six miles WEST of where the car was found -- and the car was found several miles from Dugway.

The car was supposedly out of gas, but when found, was actually in a ditch?

I wish someone would map the points of interest in this case (car location, hat found, etc). Were the flip-flops found or not, and if so, where?

Even the Facebook page has very little information.
They found the car.
They found the hat.

I think people might help search, if they had more info.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15572323
(snip)
Park said crews will search the caves to see if there is any indications that Bushling found a spot to get out of the elements, but pending further information, the search would be suspended until the weekend.

Also from the story: "Officials have said that the car Bushling was driving has not yielded any new information or given any indication as to where he was traveling."

The GPS (which was reportedly left in the car) was turned off, or what? Even if no destination was entered, it would keep track of where he had been -- his average speed, how long he drove, how long he was stopped....etc. All that data is stored in memory.

I'm totally confused by this one.

The hat was found six miles WEST of where the car was found -- and the car was found several miles from Dugway.

The car was supposedly out of gas, but when found, was actually in a ditch?

I wish someone would map the points of interest in this case (car location, hat found, etc). Were the flip-flops found or not, and if so, where?

Even the Facebook page has very little information.
They found the car.
They found the hat.

I think people might help search, if they had more info.

You would think there would be an idea of a direction he was going. At this time of year a ton of people are usually going out there for recreation. I don't know if recent rains have brought those numbers down. But a public request for people to keep their eyes open wouldn't be a bad idea. Specific directional info would be nice.

Ugh, just saw the weather forecast for the coming week. Mostly rain, rain, and more rain.

You would think there would be an idea of a direction he was going. At this time of year a ton of people are usually going out there for recreation. I don't know if recent rains have brought those numbers down. But a public request for people to keep their eyes open wouldn't be a bad idea. Specific directional info would be nice.

Ugh, just saw the weather forecast for the coming week. Mostly rain, rain, and more rain.

If you're stranded out there, rain means water (where there may not have been any).

It sounds like they'll be searching the caves and overhangs; people stuck outdoors will seek shelter, then die of hypothermia in a hidden spot.

Remember the mother-daughter who went hiking in the Uintahs, and got caught in a snowstorm? People walked by them for weeks, until the next spring - when someone spotted their car keys. They had covered themselves with branches, to keep warm.

Weird his hat would be West of the car. I wasn't picturing him going west....to nowhere. The winds were howling this weekend. Could his hat have blown six miles west?

Oh I do remember the mother and daughter. The weather changed so fast on them. Utah is very harsh on people.

but it does sound like this is the best time of year to get stuck in the utah desert...I think he could survive for another week...but they need to find him, now. which thanks to the genius who had the authority to suspend the search I really wonder if they will. how would he like to hear his sons body was found and know the search was suspended when his family member might still have been alive?

but it does sound like this is the best time of year to get stuck in the utah desert...I think he could survive for another week...but they need to find him, now. which thanks to the genius who had the authority to suspend the search I really wonder if they will. how would he like to hear his sons body was found and know the search was suspended when his family member might still have been alive?

The family hasn't even come out to search, which I find odd.

Meanwhile, the volunteers have been giving up their home time, and in some cases, been away from their jobs. They've also been out in the middle of nowhere....and had to commute. It's a lot to ask.

The family hasn't even come out to search, which I find odd.

Meanwhile, the volunteers have been giving up their home time, and in some cases, been away from their jobs. They've also been out in the middle of nowhere....and had to commute. It's a lot to ask.

I think it's odd too. but if he is out there, and he has a chance at survival, he probably has to be found this week. next week is a stretch. No one HAS to search, if they are a volunteer, they can call off their own search while the search still continues. I just don't agree with the decision.

Just throwing this out there...could the family KNOW he was going to go AWOL and that is why they aren't coming out to search? They could be posting on his FB page to make it look like they don't know where he is. Just speculating.

It has been very windy here (Utah) and likely for the hat to be blown by the wind.

Had it been mentioned previously, that Bushling had recently been divorced?

Some quotes from today's Salt Lake Tribune article Father comes to Utah to help find son missing from Dugway:

Instead, Bushling will fly out from his home in Arkansas to collect his son’s things.

Kevin Bushling said his son was excited about his visit and life despite his recent divorce and the March 2010 suicide of his younger brother, Jeremy. Kevin Bushling plans to fly to Utah on Wednesday.

“It’s been a whole year trying to heal, then this happens,” he said. “It’s like it’s starting all over. It’s been awful.”

Kevin Bushling said there is no chance his son simply ran off.

“I know my son,” he said. “I talk to him every day, sometimes 15 times a day.”

[BBM]Wednesday....May 18th. Ten days after his son disappeared ... by a man who talked to his son "up to" 15 times a day?

talks to him sometimes 15 times a day?

Hopefully that's an overstatement. If not, then I'm not sure what to make of it but given that Joseph is active duty and knowing the kind of hours they must work each day---I'll venture to say (I'm the Mom of two adults and yes I speak to mine almost everyday because they call me) that up to 15 times a day is a bit excessive. Not being judgemental I'm looking at this from the type of relationship he might have had with his Dad and also what might be going through his mind that he needed to speak to anyone much less a parent 15 times a day.

Just making mental note. Not coming to a conclusion about it at all. JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back