UT - Susan Powell, 28, West Valley, 6 Dec 2009

Discussion in 'Susan Cox Powell' started by Earthbound Misfit I, Dec 8, 2009.

1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Friday marked nine years since a young wife and mother, her husband and her two young sons were first reported missing from West Valley City – Susan Powell, whose family returned without her.

Susan Powell reported missing nine years ago

Dontknow?, kkdj, Laughing and 8 others like this.
  2. ekardh

ekardh Active Member

Did they ever decrypt Josh Powell's computer?

Dontknow?, FairM1, Laughing and 5 others like this.
  3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Lengthy article.
    Dec 26 2018
    'Cold': Police excavated landfill during search for Susan Powell
    "Editor's note: This is the seventh of a weekly series featuring highlights from a KSL investigative podcast series titled "Cold" that reports new information about the case of missing Utah woman Susan Powell.

SARATOGA SPRINGS — A psychic tip, a dog search and a subdivision under construction led West Valley police to a remote garbage dump during the effort to finding missing mother Susan Powell.

Excavation at the Cedar Valley Landfill in Fairfield failed to turn up any sign of Powell, who disappeared from her home on Dec. 7, 2009. Police never publicized the effort. However, it illustrated the lengths to which investigators were willing to go in the hopes of finding her."
    Paulette Bennett, then president of American Search Dogs, was skeptical of the request but agreed to bring her goldendoodle Murphy to a spot near the southern end of the Talons Cove golf course in Saratoga Springs."

"Murphy appeared to catch what Bennett called a “high air scent” while scanning for the odor of cadaver.

“My dog walked into the water. The breeze was coming toward us, pawed the water,” Bennett said. “That’s what he would do when he couldn’t reach a source. He would paw at it. So I know he picked up something.”

Bennett said the wind could have carried the scent from the far side of the lake.

“I’m sure there was something, but I’m not sure what it was,” Bennett said."

Dontknow?, kkdj, Laughing and 6 others like this.
  4. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

Experts to search mine shafts not searched in Susan Powell case

Porter said record exists of Powell's husband, Josh, detailing how to prevent the search of mine shafts by using debris.

When that tip came in back in 2009, Porter said she knew it had to be looked into.

Many mines were searched back then because Josh Powell had said that's where he would dump a body.

“We feel that there are enough factors pointing to a particular area and we think it is possible that these mines were not searched all the way down,” Porter said.

Experts to search mine shafts not searched in Susan Powell case

Dontknow?, kai, j_in_c and 9 others like this.
  5. ekardh

ekardh Active Member

I wish them luck with the search but with Josh and his ******* dad both dead it’s going to be a mountainous task to locate Susan’s remains.

Dontknow?, Sunflake, Laughing and 4 others like this.
  6. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

Could a cadaver searching dog detect anything from the entrance of a mine without going inside?

I will never forget how her boys were killed.

Dontknow?, Laughing, dotr and 3 others like this.
  7. j_in_c

j_in_c Well-Known Member

I am sure that it varies from mine to mine, but from listening to season 2 of "up and vanished", cadaver dogs were used to sniff at mine entrances and the handler felt confident if a body was in the abandoned mine, their dog would alert. They were searching around Crestone, CO. They mention in the "cold" podcast that drier air like the west desert area make air scents harder for dogs to pick up. I would think the drones like those that were used would be the easiest/best way to search. I've always wondered how easy or not easy it is to use an abandoned mine to hide a body (purely from a true crime obsessive viewpoint!).

Dontknow?, Laughing, dotr and 3 others like this.
  8. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Some mines in Northern Utah are actually quite damp inside, with ground water dripping and even snow melt. Southern Utah is a different story, as almost anything can mummifie within a few weeks.

I have always wondered about the role of the LDS church in the death of Susan Powell. Not literally, but the entire focus on staying married no matter what, and CPS is big on listening to Fathers in Utah. Utah is seriously another century, the patriarchal society is all encompassing there.

9. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

10. Sunflake

Sunflake New Member

Megan87, dotr, j_in_c and 4 others like this.
  11. FairM1

FairM1 Active Member

12. LunaticFringe

LunaticFringe I know you're out there...

An excellent podcast if I do say so myself!

Sunflake, dotr, FairM1 and 2 others like this.
  13. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Feb 6 2019
    'Cold': Forensic psychologist shares impressions of Josh Powell
    "TACOMA, Wash. — A forensic psychologist who examined Josh Powell as part of a 2011 child custody case in Washington state viewed Powell as “very calculated, very bright, very narcissistic.”

"Manley shared his impressions of Powell in an interview for the investigative podcast series "Cold."

“He seemed to be guarded,” Manley said. “He certainly was dodgy in the interview, and of course I’m there to ask him questions about uncomfortable circumstances.”

“The boys, whom he loved, were actually in my opinion actually extensions of himself,” Manley said. “It’s like ‘Little Josh 1’ and ‘Little Josh 2’ and not my sons.”
    “He had traits, narcissism, which is the perfect self,” Manley said. “The idea of a narcissist is that they do not have the ability to see themselves as flawed.”

Laughing, Sunflake, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  14. Dontknow?

Dontknow? Well-Known Member

There's just not only Steve and Josh, there's Michael gone. The younger boys gone are too heartbreaking to think about. But those 3 knew something. 2 daughters remain, I believe. Where's Susan? I hope if the one knows anything about Susan's where abouts, that it comes out soon. It's been a long time. Heavy hearts need some relief. jmo

15. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

This older article from last summer is about a surviving daughter who states she still has two siblings and mentions a sister. That could be the two daughters but there is still another sibling.

Sadness and relief: Steven Powell's estranged daughter on her dad's death

Laughing, Sunflake, dotr and 2 others like this.
  16. Sunflake

Sunflake New Member

Michael jumping off a 7 story parking garage after he finds out cops have his car? Someone who wasn’t involved wouldn’t do that.

kai, Quiet Time, Dontknow? and 2 others like this.
  17. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

IIRC there was a brother living in Steve's house, reportedly with mental health issues?

watcher9 likes this.
  18. Dontknow?

Dontknow? Well-Known Member

Richrd, watcher9 and Laughing like this.
  19. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

RIP Susan, Braden, & Charlie.

kai, v0x and Suglo like this.