GUILTY UT - Three Scout leaders for destroying Goblin Valley rock formation, Emery Co., 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by wfgodot, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MissJ

MissJ New Member

Wow, I live near a lot of natural cave and rock formations. Why anyone would think they had the right to do something like this is ridiculous. Surely they knew the law! You are not supposed to move or remove a single pebble. JMO

2. Snoods

Snoods Flounciest Faux Former Member

Dave Hall has always bugged the carp out of me, now I can be justified in my dislike.

And the guy who filed a disability claim two weeks before knocking over a boulder? Birds of a feather.

3. Sulamith

Sulamith Well-Known Member

Me too!! LOL!! :floorlaugh:

4. Snoods

Thank you!!! Right?

5. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris Well-Known Member

Yep .. totally!

6. Snoods

Woot woot! Way to destroy a natural rock formation, broheims! High fives up high and down low!

7. Mrs G Norris

Yes, that was the first stupid moment, but filming, YouTubing it, Facebooking it, then trying to justify it was even funnier, and then the lawsuit followthrough just really gave this whole story that extra bit of zing for me! :floorlaugh:

8. fruity

fruity Well-Known Member

9. Snoods

10. writer7

writer7 New Member

I love all the formations posted :)

Granted, the rock these idiots toppled is not a very big rock, lol. But the US and other recently colonized wild places have incredibly old and fascinating geology, etc, that indigenous folks tended to respect. So we are fortunate that we can see ancient formations that are still intact even though they may be small! It's really cool.

It might also feel different to those growing up in places with more modern tribes than Europe has now. The tribal take on certain natural places being sacred (in various ways) probably rubs off on us :)

(I know it rubs off on me, because my grandparents were native, lol. But I think it does in general, too.)

11. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Well-Known Member

12. Snoods

Those are freaking amazing! I hadn't heard of those, I had to look them up online. They look man-made, don't they? Who knew rocks could be so cool.

Stay away from Giant's Causeway, Dave Hall and Glenn Taylor.

13. lil_buddy

lil_buddy Inactive

14. Snoods

15. nightwatch

nightwatch Active Member

the parks here including the 5 national parks people can hike all over, you just need to know your limits. there is a very beautiful area at the ut, az boarder called the wave, all formed from the wind it's sandstone it's hard like rock three people died there in one month i think this past july? it's a 5mi hike but some miss judged. only 20 people a day are allowed in this area. the point is there will be the next generation that will have a right to see these amazing formations. http://www.utah.com/image/lf/transparent-play.png
    jmo
    ciao

16. Snoods

BBM. I didn't know that! How interesting. I'm learning a lot from this thread!

17. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57086126-78/hall-astel-rock-goblin.html.csp

Utah goblin toppler’s uncle was killed by falling boulder
    Investigation » Placing a value on the rock formation has held up filing charges, officials say.

By Jim Dalrymple II | The Salt Lake Tribune
    First Published Nov 06 2013 01:01 am • Last Updated Nov 06 2013 08:34 am

"Just as Michael Astel stepped around a bend in a Colorado trail, a boulder "about the size of a washing machine" broke from its perch, knocked him to a ledge and crushed him.

"He said, ‘I’m dying,’ " recalled Debra Woolley, who was married to Astel at the time, of the 1982 "freak accident." A minute later, he was gone.

"Hall added that immediately during the initial furor over his video, he told several TV stations about his uncle’s death but they never aired the footage."

"The investigation into Hall and Taylor is ongoing and could be turned over to the Emery County attorney’s office by the end of the week, Smith said. The investigation has dragged on, he continued, because officials have struggled to put a value on the toppled rock formation.

"The challenge obviously is no place out there selling goblins and hoodoos," Smith said. "Nobody has goblins and hoodoos on eBay.""

More...

18. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

Missed this one from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57034653-78/video-goblin-hall-rock.html.csp

Goblin topplers video removed after Utahn files copyright claim
    By Jim Dalrymple II | The Salt Lake Tribune
    First Published Oct 23 2013 03:09 pm • Last Updated Oct 24 2013 09:50 am

"The Goblin Valley topplers video, which sparked outrage across the Internet, is disappearing.

By Wednesday afternoon the video posted by The Salt Lake Tribune Oct. 17 had been removed from YouTube. In its place, the video hosting site displayed a short message: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Dave Hall.""

"According to Hall, "a whole lot of people have pirated" personal information. He removed the video because he hopes it will help the controversy surrounding the rock toppling subside.

"There’s consequences for me doing something wrong, so there should be for everyone else, too," he added."

As usual, more...

19. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Pyrrhonist

The only problem is that with only 20 permits a day, some of this generation doesn't have the right to see these amazing formations.

20. Mrs G Norris

Oh he's kidding right .. off to download it and keep it forever, can't stand this guy. OH and SUUUUUURE he did it because his uncle died from falling rocks, what a JERK!!