VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Children begin to grasp death's finality around age 4. In one typical study, researchers found that 10 percent of 3-year-olds understand irreversibility, compared with 58 percent of 4-year-olds. The other two aspects of death are learned a bit later, usually between age 5 and 7.

My grandfather died when I was six, and I understood it completely at the time, and still at aged 65 remember details about that day. Heart attack on the street, it was the last day of first grade, and my father still gave me a Mary Poppins record album that I had wanted.

My grandmother died the next year when I was seven, and I remember that entire day as well and understood it completely. She had a stroke in our house and was unconscious and we knew she was not coming back.

My daughter and later on my first granddaughter learned about death at those ages when their starter pets (hamster, goldfish, turtles) died. They absolutely understood that those pets had lived in their rooms and now no longer were alive.

Whether this child understood that aiming and shooting could lead to death, I don't know, but I would guess yes. I didn't grow up in a world of video gaming and 24-hour TV, but I certainly understood death. These kids now are exposed to all kinds of things through media and shooting game videos.

IMO he knew he was doing something wrong because he was hiding the gun.

Jmo, obviously, not knowing this particular child and his mindset.

BAM!!!!

The Newport News School Board will discuss a separation agreement and severance with Superintendent Dr. George Parker III during a special meeting Wednesday night.

The meeting comes in the wake of a shooting at Richneck Elementary School on Jan. 6, where police said a 6-year-old shot his first-grade teacher, Abby Zwerner.
During a town hall meeting with parents on Jan. 13, Dr. Parker said at least one administrator knew about a tip warning that the student may have been carrying a weapon but didn't say who that administrator was.
Evident by some public commentary during a Jan. 17 school board meeting, Parker fell under public scrutiny on the heels of three shootings on school grounds since September 2021. That month, a shooting at Heritage High School left two students injured. Following a basketball game at Menchville High on December 2021, a Woodside High student was killed. The latest was the shooting mentioned above at Richneck Elementary.
The school board meeting will take place at 6 pm.

In English common law, 7 was considered the absolute minimum age of criminal responsibility and it required a positive legal affirmation i.e. prosecutors were required to prove that a minor had formed intent. I was under the impression that this was the guideline used throughout the United States but I was shocked to learn that over half of the states including my own and Virginia do not have an explicit legal minimum age of criminal accountability

My older brother lives in Newport News not too far from this school. His three kids are home schooled,sadly; due in most part to situations such as this. if they were in public school, my youngest niece would have been at that school!

My older brother lives in Newport News not too far from this school. His three kids are home schooled,sadly; due in most part to situations such as this. if they were in public school, my youngest niece would have been at that school!
I hear you. In general, I'm not a fan of home schooling but in this school district I would certainly give it the okay! Hopefully replacing the superintendent will allow for some immediate policy changes but what I would most like to see probably won't happen, which is a brutally honest evaluation of the specific failings that allowed this situation to arise so as to identify similar problemed districts.

I hear you. In general, I'm not a fan of home schooling but in this school district I would certainly give it the okay! Hopefully replacing the superintendent will allow for some immediate policy changes but what I would most like to see probably won't happen, which is a brutally honest evaluation of the specific failings that allowed this situation to arise so as to identify similar problemed districts.
I have 3 girls. My oldest is 23 and out of the house. Now my middle one is doing her 9th grade online from home due to medical necessity and my youngest is in 5th grade at public K-8 school. I just told my husband last night that I get phone calls at least twice a week from the school that a "threat has been made by an elementary student" It's INSANE!!!

In English common law, 7 was considered the absolute minimum age of criminal responsibility and it required a positive legal affirmation i.e. prosecutors were required to prove that a minor had formed intent. I was under the impression that this was the guideline used throughout the United States but I was shocked to learn that over half of the states including my own and Virginia do not have an explicit legal minimum age of criminal accountability

I think most will agree, the child will Not be charged. He will receive the care he needs and hopefully build a good life.

In my opinion, adults made decisions that caused a chain reaction, that will change the cource of his life.

My heart breaks for the child. He's removed from his home and family, confined to a hospital, may have some understanding of severity.
Moo.....

Last edited:
My grandfather died when I was six, and I understood it completely at the time, and still at aged 65 remember details about that day. Heart attack on the street, it was the last day of first grade, and my father still gave me a Mary Poppins record album that I had wanted.

My grandmother died the next year when I was seven, and I remember that entire day as well and understood it completely. She had a stroke in our house and was unconscious and we knew she was not coming back.

My daughter and later on my first granddaughter learned about death at those ages when their starter pets (hamster, goldfish, turtles) died. They absolutely understood that those pets had lived in their rooms and now no longer were alive.

Whether this child understood that aiming and shooting could lead to death, I don't know, but I would guess yes. I didn't grow up in a world of video gaming and 24-hour TV, but I certainly understood death. These kids now are exposed to all kinds of things through media and shooting game videos.

IMO he knew he was doing something wrong because he was hiding the gun.

Jmo, obviously, not knowing this particular child and his mindset.

I think 6yr olds (or at least typical 6yr olds, with no special needs, learning disabilities etc) understand the basic concept of death, that that person is gone and you won't see them again, but I'm not sure they understand the greater meaning, the wider effects on the people left behind for example, and I definitely don't think that they could have any concept of what it means to take a life, to actually end the life of another living being. I don't think they can understand the concept of murder, or form intent to murder in the way an adult could.
Of course they know it's wrong to bring a gun to school and shoot someone, but can they fully understand why?. Children of that age are still very self centered, they are only just starting to learn how their behaviour affects others, and that they can hurt people's feelings with their actions, we reason with them a lot by asking them to imagine how they would feel if something happened to them because that's how they start to relate to the world around them and to understand that actions have consequences beyond just how they feel. They are still learning about their own thoughts and feelings, and are not yet able to fully empathise with others, so I don't think they understand death in the way that we think they do just yet.
JMO.

I think most will agree, the child will Not be charged. He will receive the care he needs and hopefully build a good life.

In my opinion, adults made decisions that caused a chain reaction, that will change the source of his life.

My heart breaks for the child. He's removed from his home and family, confined to a hospital, may have some understanding of severity.
Moo.....
I agree. From the information we can glean at this point it seems like this is a combination of this child having a legitimate psychological disability along with multiple, multiple levels of adults underestimating his (and probably many others) capacity for violence. I very much hope that the new superintendent will explain to the public why and how this was allowed to happen. I'm not saying that the parents are definitely blameless but it seems to me like public focus is a little too much on vengeance and not enough on repair and prevention.

I think 6yr olds (or at least typical 6yr olds, with no special needs, learning disabilities etc) understand the basic concept of death, that that person is gone and you won't see them again, but I'm not sure they understand the greater meaning, the wider effects on the people left behind for example, and I definitely don't think that they could have any concept of what it means to take a life, to actually end the life of another living being. I don't think they can understand the concept of murder, or form intent to murder in the way an adult could.
Of course they know it's wrong to bring a gun to school and shoot someone, but can they fully understand why?. Children of that age are still very self centered, they are only just starting to learn how their behaviour affects others, and that they can hurt people's feelings with their actions, we reason with them a lot by asking them to imagine how they would feel if something happened to them because that's how they start to relate to the world around them and to understand that actions have consequences beyond just how they feel. They are still learning about their own thoughts and feelings, and are not yet able to fully empathise with others, so I don't think they understand death in the way that we think they do just yet.
JMO.
I find it hard to believe a 6 year old american child doesnt understand that pointing a gun and pulling the trigger will MINIMUMLY hurt them and probably kill them.

Guns are on TV, in cartoons, in movies, games, comics etc. What they do isnt a secret in general society. Its a culture.

I find it hard to believe a 6 year old american child doesnt understand that pointing a gun and pulling the trigger will MINIMUMLY hurt them and probably kill them.

Guns are on TV, in cartoons, in movies, games, comics etc. What they do isnt a secret in general society. Its a culture.

That's not what I said at all.

JMO.
My daughter had just turned 6 when her father died of a heart attack right in front of her. She remembers absolutely nothing of that day or the weeks that followed. Maybe this little boy will suffer the same kind of shock block?

With the removal of Parker, it solidifies in my head that he, as well as others knew of and ignored the previous reports of threats and violent behaviors of this child ( which were reported ). Ending with the lax 'search' of the backpack, this was an epic fail to all human beings in that school. Did he expect others, including children to just accept and tolerate violence and IMO, terrorism? If so, WHY???? What could be the reason that this was all shoved under the proverbial rug and Dismissed with no reason. It's mind boggling and horrific that this is the leadership in schools today.

I agree. From the information we can glean at this point it seems like this is a combination of this child having a legitimate psychological disability along with multiple, multiple levels of adults underestimating his (and probably many others) capacity for violence. I very much hope that the new superintendent will explain to the public why and how this was allowed to happen. I'm not saying that the parents are definitely blameless but it seems to me like public focus is a little too much on vengeance and not enough on repair and prevention.

Excellent post. Thank you. I would like to think that prevention is possible, but I’m not optimistic. My husband taught elementary school for years. One year, at his small rural school, he had a boy in his 5th grade class who was probably severely emotionally disturbed and never should have been in a regular classroom of 30-35 kids. But this child had to be taught somewhere. My husband had to spend so much time making sure his other students were safe that parents were (rightly) complaining that he wasn’t giving enough attention to teaching their kids. And that was during the 1970’s when he had two classroom aides in the morning. There was nothing he could do but his best. His principal was either disinterested or powerless to act.

Principals answer to the superintendent who can be fired by the school board. The school board can be recalled or voted out. All the way up the line, there is little incentive or ability to rock the boat. So teachers are left to fend for themselves in too many cases, like my husband and this child’s teacher were. And as you mentioned, part of the problem is that adults underestimate a child’s capacity for violence…until it’s too late. No one wants to think the unthinkable of children, understandably. A gun in a backpack?! No way!!

So, even if huge changes are instituted in this school district, there are still thousands (?) of school districts in the country where “it can’t happen here” prevents meaningful change, whatever that is. Repair, not vengeance, after the fact is about all there is left to do.
JMO

With the removal of Parker, it solidifies in my head that he, as well as others knew of and ignored the previous reports of threats and violent behaviors of this child ( which were reported ). Ending with the lax 'search' of the backpack, this was an epic fail to all human beings in that school. Did he expect others, including children to just accept and tolerate violence and IMO, terrorism? If so, WHY???? What could be the reason that this was all shoved under the proverbial rug and Dismissed with no reason. It's mind boggling and horrific that this is the leadership in schools today.
I don’t know all that the board knows that prompted the separation, but I can say that a lot of what we’re hearing can be tied to new Va laws regarding discipline. The laws are handcuffing administration and are increasingly making schools less safe. All my opinion as an educator in Va.

I don’t know all that the board knows that prompted the separation, but I can say that a lot of what we’re hearing can be tied to new Va laws regarding discipline. The laws are handcuffing administration and are increasingly making schools less safe. All my opinion as an educator in Va.

Thank you for the info, but specifically what new law would 'handcuff' an administration from protecting the entire student body and staff from a IMO, 'violent and behaviorally challenged' (My terminology- not labeling ) student? I guess I don't get just how far we have come from normalcy that this would be a legal quagmire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress