VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they ignore teachers repeatedly, NO way I'd trust them ever again.

Yes, they should be named, but won't be due to confidentially laws. I would hate to see these administrators ever work another fay eith children EVER!!!!

MOO...
Snipped for focus .
Agreed.

This puts not only teachers, but fellow students in mortal danger !
What parent wants to risk their child's life ?
Imo.

I hope that the child involved in this receives the help and support he truly need's. If we can all pull out that old handbook "It takes a village to raise a child" and refresh our hearts and minds with it, just maybe we can turn the dark tide of happenings such as this.

I think there is a breakdown between violent incidences in schools which are reported to LE versus what actually takes place. Many teachers have experienced violence and are afraid to voice fears.

jmo

ETA: My opinion is influenced by this statement.

In 2019–20, across all types of incidents, the percentage of public schools that recorded one or more incidents was higher than the percentage that reported one or more incidents to sworn law enforcement. For example, 70 percent of public schools recorded one or more violent incidents,6 whereas 32 percent reported one or more incidents to sworn law enforcement.

But I suppose some could find any statistics laughable

Last edited:
I dont understand. That is the definition of anecdotal
I have a friend who teaches middle school science in a public school.
Her opinion would be considered anecdotal.
There have been students who are so disruptive that the class cannot be taught.

A school is only as good as its' admin.
Once that six year old was on the school campus, the administration was responsible for checking into any concerns from students or staff.
There should be a record of the teacher's warnings !
Unless they've been erased or expunged ?

I don't blame anyone for choosing to home school or going private.
M00.

I dont understand. That is the definition of anecdotal
<modnsip>

Violence at Central Virginia schools raises concerns about power of social media​

Posted at 5:00 PM, Oct 20, 2022

and last updated 2:57 PM, Oct 20, 2022

RICHMOND, Va. -- Students were pepper sprayed and an officer was hurt in a large fight at Highland Springs High School in Henrico County on Monday. On Tuesday, a stabbing incident among two seventh graders at Brookland Middle School left one in critical condition. A student threatened to bring a gun to campus at that same middle school less than 24 hours prior.

School and city administrators, as well as law enforcement, say these kinds of violent acts on school grounds may sometimes be the result of bullying, harassment or other conflicts starting on social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the statement the attorney for the family put out, it said the child has an acute disability.

Some thought that was a mistake and should have said "chronic" instead of acute, but I have to wonder if it really did mean to read that way. An acute disability means something fairly recently happened to this child to affect his behavior and so my first thought was, some kind of accident or injury that resulted in severe brain trauma which certainly could have caused him to become severely aggressive and violent.

Again, completely speculating.
An acute disability usually consists of a persistent and severe mental disorder that meets several criteria.

Persistently or acutely disabled Definition | Law Insider

Since it was the lawyer for the family that said this on their behalf I would think this is what the reference meant. Imo

An acute disability usually consists of a persistent and severe mental disorder that meets several criteria.

Persistently or acutely disabled Definition | Law Insider

Since it was the lawyer for the family that said this on their behalf I would think this is what the reference meant. Imo
The attorney didn't give any further details so it's all just a guessing game really.
This whole thing is just a heartbreaking mess.

jmo

I guess we can also look at the test scores of public schools as well, to see how things are going.

Would that be an example of true statistics to see how well the class rooms are functioning these days?

I guess we can also look at the test scores of public schools as well, to see how things are going.

Would that be an example of true statistics to see how well the class rooms are functioning these days?
Not at all.
It's a socio-economic issue. Also many many schools are underfunded and its an uphill battle to get funding. Schools that are adequately funded perform well, schools that are denied basic funding tend not to. It's also not a surprise where the underfunded school are located and why they are not helped.

Statistically kids in private schools do better because they are typically from better off backgrounds.

I wonder if the other adults involved in investigating the possession of the gun were afraid to call the police themselves? Fear of getting into trouble by the principal or superintendent?

It's easy for me to sit here and say that that is what I'd do, but being faced with that whole tragedy of errors that were being made in real time, I'm not sure I would have. Teachers should, IMO, have that option if the administration isn't doing what is safe and right.

Not at all.
It's a socio-economic issue. Also many many schools are underfunded and its an uphill battle to get funding. Schools that are adequately funded perform well, schools that are denied basic funding tend not to. It's also not a surprise where the underfunded school are located and why they are not helped.

Statistically kids in private schools do better because they are typically from better off backgrounds.
Also, schools that have a high percentage of ESL kids often have lower test scores. Not because the kids are less smart, but because they have to do school and exams in English, which is sometimes not spoken at all in the home.

I think you are correct, this is the first I'm learning that another student said they saw a gun.

When a child comes to a teacher and says "Billy has a gun in his back pack, I saw it" that should be the end of little Billy's normal routine at school that day. His bag, desk, cubby or any other area he had access to should have been thoroughly searched while he sat in the principle's office or somewhere else safe and supervised. In which case, the shooting would have been completely preventable.

jmo

Just now reading this -- especially timely, considering that *today* an attorney for Abigail Zuerner gave a press conference regarding a lawsuit directed at the school district, that is being filed on behalf of the teacher.

As someone (this would be yours truly) who has served well over a decade as a licensed educator, substitute teaching in literally *hundreds* of elementary classrooms, I must say that I've had a few scary moments in classrooms...having to speedily do a "room clear" while dealing with one or more students with behavioral "issues" is *not* why I (nor Ms. Zuerner, I feel sure) chose education!

@Ontario Mom: You have "the guts" to be a good, solid elementary school principal -- being sincere here. I can't even begin to share with those reading this post how *many* times there have been "issues" with students...but here's what we (teachers) are constantly being told/reminded of: "Solve the problem in your own classroom." Leaves one feeling helpless (not to mention a bit frustrated, too). So one just does his/her best, being super-focused on covering the material at hand, while simultaneously keeping as calm as possible when a student (or several) need high levels of "intervention". (Sorry so long.)

My thoughts and prayers continue for Ms. Zuerner, and for her legal team, as of today's press conference (sorry, I don't have a link handy).

I wonder if the other adults involved in investigating the possession of the gun were afraid to call the police themselves? Fear of getting into trouble by the principal or superintendent?

It's easy for me to sit here and say that that is what I'd do, but being faced with that whole tragedy of errors that were being made in real time, I'm not sure I would have. Teachers should, IMO, have that option if the administration isn't doing what is safe and right.
After watching the press conference with AZ's attorney, I was angry and upset by the lack of respect by the school's administration for their teachers/staff :mad: It is beyond shameful that those who chose education as their life's work are not valued more highly in this particular setting. It sounds to me like the administrators in this elementary school completely disregarded anything that teachers/staff said to them with regard to the child who had a gun in his possession. How can anyone work in an environment where they are not valued or respected? Sadly, this seems to be the administrative culture at Richneck Elementary School: They're in charge and run the school the way they choose and don't want input from teachers. Not to mention, also, that the administration probably feels the need to placate tax-paying parents. I can't help wondering if that is why school administrators avoided any type of intervention with this particular student. JMO

Assistant principal resigns at Virginia school where 6-year-old shot teacher Abigail Zwerner

Dr. Ebony Parker, the assistant principal at Richneck Elementary in Newport News, resigned, district spokesperson Michelle Price confirmed. Parker could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

ETA: Here's another link (I can't remember if NYP is allowed)

Last edited:
Why was this child protected by school administrators?? It's almost as if the child was treated as the "victim" over and over when there were clear indications and warnings he was a threat.
I could make an argument that both the child and the teacher are victims of this school administration. The child was clearly calling out for HELP and now his life is affected by what happened when no one would intervene. And I don't know how the teacher will ever enter another classroom. It's all just awful.

504, perhaps?

In my own long years of contact with public schools, I have seen & been aware of some different situations of parent presence in public school, and wonder if possibly the parents reported very different behavior at home & offered to 'show' the school how to manage the child?

This would likely not be included in an IEP or 504.

Interesting to me that this child's parents report that one or the other was at school with him -- until the week of the shooting.

Glad this wasn't my class, my building, my district, that's for sure.

Very glad that the voices of the teachers were heard at the public meeting!

One interesting thing about IEPs (Individualized Education Plans) I learned several years ago is that even if a student has been recommended for an IEP, the parents have the option of refusing it.

Wondering if that may have been the case in this situation...if the parents refused it (speculation only), they may have offered to accompany their child to school each day -- in lieu of agreeing to an IEP.

Also -- as @Simply Southern has mentioned, those with Masters degrees in Special Education or Behavioral Psychology are in high demand across the country. Even here (Midwest), school districts throughout the area are offering bonuses to licensed teachers with advanced degrees, as well as offering higher per diem wages to substitute teachers with educational backgrounds in mental health and/or prior educational experience in behavioral interventions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member