VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was raising my own kids, I've talked to plenty of other parents who also have kids that do stuff like this. The kind of stuff that if they didn't see it happen with their own eyes, they'd never believe it. It happens.

Do I think that's what happened in this case? Honestly, I don't know. I know what the parent's statement said, and I know there's been no charges, so what does that say? To me it says, it's entirely possible the parent's statement was 100% factual, and LE cannot find a single thing to charge them with.

Quote RSBM. I understand what you are saying.
Perhaps the letter of the law wasn't broken, or if it was, LE can't yet prove it was.
But I still maintain a small child in their parents' care doing something like bringing a gun to school is the parents' moral and legal responsibility, even if they "really didn't think he could." I mean they knew the gun was there in the home and knew he was sometimes a violent kid. IMO.

Quote RSBM. I understand what you are saying.
Perhaps the letter of the law wasn't broken, or if it was, LE can't yet prove it was.
But I still maintain a small child in their parents' care doing something like bringing a gun to school is the parents' moral and legal responsibility, even if they "really didn't think he could." I mean they knew the gun was there in the home and knew he was sometimes a violent kid. IMO.
I completely agree. I can only speak for myself but I can say without a doubt, even though I am 100% pro-gun legal ownership, if had a family member in my home with violent tendencies, I wouldn't keep a weapon at home. I'm all too familiar with what kids are capable of doing, and I'd just never take that chance. But for some reason, this boy's parents did, and yet they're still not charged with anything. I don't know how to make that make sense.

I have a 6 YO with cognitive and social/emotional needs, he is essentially a 4 year old developmentally. The stuff he has done has stunned me but when you have a child who is displaying highly challenging behaviour the only way to ensure they can't get hold of something like a gun is to not have it in the house. The only way I'd have a gun in my house with mine would be in an alarmed and locked room with multiple locks on the door.

I have a 6 YO with cognitive and social/emotional needs, he is essentially a 4 year old developmentally. The stuff he has done has stunned me but when you have a child who is displaying highly challenging behaviour the only way to ensure they can't get hold of something like a gun is to not have it in the house. The only way I'd have a gun in my house with mine would be in an alarmed and locked room with multiple locks on the door.

Reactions: IDK
I completely agree. I can only speak for myself but I can say without a doubt, even though I am 100% pro-gun legal ownership, if had a family member in my home with violent tendencies, I wouldn't keep a weapon at home. I'm all too familiar with what kids are capable of doing, and I'd just never take that chance. But for some reason, this boy's parents did, and yet they're still not charged with anything. I don't know how to make that make sense.

Wild guess on my part , not my opinion, but I wonder if they ( the family ) are politically connected in some way?
That could explain why other parents are not talking to the press also. Could also explain why the school seemed to treat the family with kid gloves— allowing them to attend school with the child, not wanting to search the child, etc.

Last edited:
Wild guess on my part , not my opinion, but I wonder if they are politically connected in some way?
That could explain why other parents are not talking to the press also. Could also explain why the school seemed to treat the family with kid gloves— allowing them to attend school with the child, not wanting to search the child, etc.

I actually was a little suspect of the same. The family obtained a rather well known, high-powered attorney rather quickly, prior to and in absence of any charges filed . The public statement was released, and here we are. It's almost as if a big flashing "Do not go there" sign has been hung over Newport News. MOO

I actually was a little suspect of the same. The family obtained a rather well known, high-powered attorney rather quickly, prior to and in absence of any charges filed . The public statement was released, and here we are. It's almost as if a big flashing "Do not go there" sign has been hung over Newport News. MOO

Thank you! I realize the family are considered victims as well per TOS. Interesting about the attorney also. I hope the little boy is getting intensive help.

Wild guess on my part , not my opinion, but I wonder if they ( the family ) are politically connected in some way?
I had the same exact thought.

Yeap

I was looking at the attorney's page http://www.jamesellenson.com and lo and behold, this is the very same man that was Wesley Hadsell's defense attorney.

UGH. :mad:

Kinda makes ya wonder
It sure does. Me personally, I'd never hire the same guy who defended Hadsell, or any other pervert murderer.
Then again, his site also states he's "general counsel" for a local hospital as well as a local tech manufacturing company so, there's also that. It's possible he wasn't just hired, but already on retainer and consulted for this case.

jmo

Looking to the future, parents and teachers want their voices heard in the search for a new superintendent—some even calling for a committee.
In the meantime, Dr. Michele Mitchell is serving as Interim Superintendent.
Board Chair Lisa-Surles Law said the search is on for a permanent replacement.
"We’re in the very early stages of selecting the firm that’s going to help us with our search," she said Thursday night.
She said they want to make sure the community is part of the process, but isn’t sure yet what form that might take.

Thursday night, people in Newport News came together to share thoughts and concerns with Mayor Phillip Jones. At the heart of the conversation, was Richneck

Another man said the division needs to bring a culture of discipline back to the classroom. He said schools need to act as places of higher education, not a daycare.
"When we allow kids to come in and dictate the pace, it drives away our teachers who want to do this job and they're not doing it for money. You also drive away the kids that want to learn."

An education student at CNU said watching what happened at Richneck has been difficult.
"I know myself and all of my friends who are becoming teachers were deeply affected by the Richneck shooting, especially when you consider that Abigail Zwerner is 25 and I’m 22."

She said since Richneck, she’s gone back and forth on if she wants to continue toward her goal of becoming a science teacher. Ultimately, she said she's staying on track to get inside a classroom soon, but she calls it a tough decision.

"I found out that this community that I’m supposed to be doing student teaching in is not as safe as I want it to be and I don’t think that I should have to choose between the passion that I feel for teaching the future leaders of tomorrow and survival."

People in the room did not hear directly from school board members or city council, but Mayor Jones assured the crowd everything they said is being taken into account.

Looking to the future, parents and teachers want their voices heard in the search for a new superintendent—some even calling for a committee.
In the meantime, Dr. Michele Mitchell is serving as Interim Superintendent.
Board Chair Lisa-Surles Law said the search is on for a permanent replacement.
"We’re in the very early stages of selecting the firm that’s going to help us with our search," she said Thursday night.
She said they want to make sure the community is part of the process, but isn’t sure yet what form that might take.

I have an idea for them! How about the "form" of NOT allowing potential and or historically violent killer kids in our schools?? How about protecting the safety and well being of others? Including teachers and students. There's a good start for ya!!

Off my box now....
Goodness

@shotgun09

This is interesting. I'm wondering how many schools have adopted
restorative approach, peaceful conflict and mediation. Moo

It also follows a presentation Tovar gave to the school board on Monday that left some members "disappointed."

In the presentation, prepared in part by Tovar, the administration said RPS has transitioned from a "punitive" approach to safety and security to a "restorative" approach. Strategies related to a restorative approach, according to the presentation, include peaceful conflict resolution, mediation and de-escalation.

When board members, including Nicole Jones and Stephanie Rizzi, asked Tovar specific questions about how those strategies are implemented on a daily basis, Tovar was unable to answer the questions.

“He is the Director of Safety and Security and cannot speak to the processes in these schools when our young people are in crisis," Jones said during the meeting. "If he cannot tell us, that’s a problem.”

And to add to that, I mean in schools with normal run of the mill challenging behaviour. A boy like this with severe needs would need an entirely seperate individual approach and should never have been in the general Ed classroom as he was clearly very high risk.

@shotgun09

This is interesting. I'm wondering how many schools have adopted
restorative approach, peaceful conflict and mediation. Moo

It also follows a presentation Tovar gave to the school board on Monday that left some members "disappointed."

In the presentation, prepared in part by Tovar, the administration said RPS has transitioned from a "punitive" approach to safety and security to a "restorative" approach. Strategies related to a restorative approach, according to the presentation, include peaceful conflict resolution, mediation and de-escalation.

When board members, including Nicole Jones and Stephanie Rizzi, asked Tovar specific questions about how those strategies are implemented on a daily basis, Tovar was unable to answer the questions.

“He is the Director of Safety and Security and cannot speak to the processes in these schools when our young people are in crisis," Jones said during the meeting. "If he cannot tell us, that’s a problem.”
It was clear early on that this school had a restorative justice program. One of the first quotes from the school was from the RJ Supervisor. There's a link at the beginning of this thread.

Many schools have adopted this approach. I know the school where the child was beat on the bus this week has used this approach for years (Broward District). Additionally, some states are making part of law, like California, for example.

I understand the purpose of RJ, but I have yet to see studies which proved positive outcomes. Perhaps those studies exist.

That said, I'm not sure there are studies as to what kind of effect this process has on children who DO NOT have behavioral issues.

Further, I'd expect this approach ties the hands of staff, who in a normal situation, would call LE. The purpose of this approach is to limit these behavioral kids to LE exposure ...so .....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member