CATCH THE LATEST WEBSLEUTHS RADIO AS WE LOOK INTO THE TERRIFYING WORLD OF MEDICAL SERIAL KILLERS
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

VA - Anna Bell, 20 mos, beaten to death, dad's GF charged, 18 May 2014

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Jacie Estes, May 22, 2014.

1. Jacie Estes

Jacie Estes Medical Marijuana Advocate

NORFOLK -- A Norfolk woman has been charged following the death of her 20-month-old step-daughter.

Police charged 24-year-old Emily Defries of Norfolk with second degree murder Monday.

According to police, Defries was babysitting the victim and two other children on May 18. Defries told investigators that she discovered the victim at the bottom of the steps and then called 911 around 5:30 p.m. Medics responded to the incident and transported the victim to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at approximately 6:10 p.m.

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/Step-mother-charged-in-death-of-20-month-old-259968061.html

2. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://wtkr.com/2014/09/24/case-aga...-of-killing-baby-girl-advances-to-grand-jury/

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/murder-charge-advances-norfolk-toddlers-death

3. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

2 skull fractures from a fall down the stairs? From a crib, which is what a 20 month old should be sleeping in? And she never heard a thing? The child's father is desperate or blind.

4. cocomod

cocomod Well-Known Member

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news...tifies-younger-sisters-murder-trial/73031174/

I absolutely despise defense tactics that try to pin something on another innocent child. This is despicable in my very honest opinion!! I am crying for this sister.

They should have stuck with the original story
    Even though the medical expert will try to testify that it wasn't possible, it just breaks my heart that they will try to get an adult out of the crime by blaming another innocent child caught in this mess!!

5. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Yet another little angel gets her wings. There are too many little angels in heaven, I'll say again. The rocky road they have to take to get there is just to tuff for little human beings, just too hard and unfair. Nevertheless, there is another one named Anna Bell.

The big sister angle may slow this up a bit -- we'll need to pay attention to that part of it. I want to see how hard Defries' attorney presses that defense. Any past injuries to Anna? And what's this about her relationship with her little sister?

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/...rial/73031174/

I'm thinking that horse (the big sister/little sister relationship) is gonna get beaten a lot before this is over... IMO

6. JeannaT

JeannaT Former Member

I'm curious about the age of the other child who was present.

It's not clear to me from this story that the girlfriend did anything at all to the child - even the older sister only testifies seeing her at the bottom of the stairs and the girlfriend standing over her hysterical.

A woman beating a child to death is not something that comes out of nowhere - she would have built up to it with a variety of lesser assaults.

Is there other information, not presented in these articles, that makes it clear the sister wasn't the one at fault? Or is there any witness who has ever seen the girlfriend mistreat the child, the day she died or any other day prior?

The 8 year old so far has not testified that she saw any violence between the girlfriend and baby Anna? How is that possible, if the girlfriend smashed the baby's head in while the 8 year old was present in the home?

7. Hoosgirl

Hoosgirl Well-Known Member

8. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Well, something or many things convinced this jury that she was at fault. Theoretically there were two suspects -- the defendant and the 8-yr-old sister. Apparently testimony convinced them that the big sister had nothing to do with it, or there might have been reasonable doubt by a juror or two. I would love to know more. Was there one big thing that pushed them to beyond a reasonable doubt, or was it -- as it usually is -- many things. Tuff sentence -- but a fitting one -- the victim was a defenseless little toddling girl.

9. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

IMO, far more immature girlfriends and boyfriends of single parents harm kids not related to them than 8 year old sisters. Statistically, the verdict makes perfect sense.

10. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

I've read about so many convictions for "Shaken Baby Syndrome" being overturned recently... Often it turns out that the baby had an undiagnosed medical condition that caused excessive bleeding or brittle bones.

Toddlers get scratch marks and bruises all the time... Were there any old fractures or anything like that, I wonder?

Good grief! I didn't think anywhere still put little children on the stand!

Sounds like a "Yes" to me. But if a fall down the stairs apparently couldn't do that much damage to a healthy baby's skull, could an 8 year old girl do that much damage?

Well! Sounds like they'd made up their minds right away, then!

11. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

http://wtkr.com/2014/09/24/case-aga...-of-killing-baby-girl-advances-to-grand-jury/

http://wtkr.com/2014/08/08/autopsy-...rl-had-fractured-skull-bruises-all-over-body/

12. kimi_SFC

kimi_SFC Active Member

13. cvaldez1975

cvaldez1975 Well-Known Member

14. atm9533

atm9533 Active Member

The sister is probably 10 now. I wonder if one day she will tell her story. Her mother said she told her the step mom was mean.

15. coralynne

coralynne Member

I just watched the episodes of Crime Watch Daily on this, and a member of the jury said that he isn't convinced Emily "caused" the death, but being that she was the only adult in the house that was responsible for the children, ultimately, she was responsible for the child's safety, which led them to a conviction.

My cousin's two year old son fell in the back yard when he was climbing on a pool ladder, and fell and hit his head on the edge of that patio when he was home with just his older siblings and his step father, and ultimately passed away. There was an investigation into his death, and his parents were cleared. But one expert would say there was no way it wasn't abuse, then three would say there was no way it was abuse. My point, all it takes to convince people is the right witness. This really COULD have been an accident.