VA - Bethany Stephens, 21, mauled to death by her 2 dogs, Dec 2017

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Gardenista, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, I checked out my county animal shelter online. Broke my heart. Out of 13 dogs listed, 8 were identified as and looked like pit bull types/mixes, 1 was a Rottie, 1 was a German Shepherd, and only 3 were small dogs (chihuahua, dachshund and Jack Russell types which are known to be high-strung and aggressive). Not one easier breed in the bunch. Some had been relinquished by homeless owners (and there are many with dogs in my town). When I expanded the search to 100 miles through Pet Finders, the results were similar. Anyone looking for a small, easy dog from a shelter or rescue organization is unlikely to find it. And I can’t imagine that all these big dogs will be adopted. :(

https://jacksoncountyor.org/hhs/Animal-Services/Adoption/Dogs

https://www.petfinder.com/search/do.../medford/?distance=100&sort[0]=recently_added

2. Spellbound

Spellbound falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus

It shocks me to look at the websites for animal rescues around here ... 99% is the average rate of all pit-bull or pit-bull mixes. There is a reason, and I don’t believe it is just too many births; the majority were bred and discarded.

We had a neighbor who was twice caught keeping 8-12 German shepherds inside her home ... once was before they moved here. They never allowed them out, not even to potty. So when one might escape, it terrorized the neighbors. We did not know how many were there until the house was raided by police and animal rescue after a repairman reported nearly being attacked and the house was condemned .... it stunk just to walk by. Where the dogs ended up, I have no idea.

3. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Kindness matters - always

Those are interesting results. Quite a big difference depending on the region. However, note that many of the more adoptable animals may have found homes between the big pre-Christmas petsmart events, reduced adoption fees, and on site adoptions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

5. Lilibet

6. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

Great post! I'm not so sure about the evil but I do think that for some, like people, it is in their genes, dna, bloodline, breeding, whatever you want to call it. Just like some folks are born as sociopaths or psychopaths. I think dogs can have things wrong with them, like that. It's been show that dogs, and other animals, especially with inbreeding, can have a forms of mental retardation, autism, epilepsy, etc... This is why, and it may sound cruel, but I will not adopt Rotts., nor any large breed dog, from county shelters. I have adopted smaller dogs, though. I know what folks do with these dogs and they can be very damaged, and some of our county folks, as much as they care, I worry about their qualifications at assessing. I want to see parents, papers, kennel, talk to the owner, etc...

7. Lilibet

I certainly hope some have been adopted. I felt so sorry for them. I just hope their sad eyes didn’t play on the emotions of people with big hearts but ill-equipped to handle them. Thankfully, I think prospective owners are pretty well screened.

8. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, I must have missed it, so many long posts!

9. Lilibet

That’s OK, and understandable. I didn’t want you to go to the trouble of starting a thread. :)

10. rsd1200

Ours has about 1/4 pits and pit mixes, combined. It's sometimes more when it's pup season. They just adopted one a 3 or 4 y/o Pit, whose description kind of gave me pause, the description read the dog needed a home with older, sturdier, children, and the dog needs basic obedience training, is "very strong" and pulls on her lead. There's also a mastiff that gave me pause, Adult Mastiff - No Small Animals (I'd not be too sure about small kids with that description.) Then there's an adult Heinz 57 who is up for adoption, but is okay w/dogs & cats, but is currently terrified. I think these dogs need some additional help, at a foster placement, before going out to the average dog owner. That's just me.

There's a Cons & Canines type of thing at one of the local prisons and it has been a very good program for both the Cons and the Canines. They teach them their obedience training, house training, etc... to help the dogs have a better chance of making it with their new family, when ready for adoption.

11. JaneEyre

Putting them up for "adoption" on petfinder doesn't mean that they are seeking just any home, or even a regular home yet. Petfinder is a way to keep your intake in a computerized system that rescues and fosters can look at. This is how many dogs are found by rescues. I wouldn't be too nervous about these dogs going to just any home unless your shelter has a reputation for poor placement. The animal control facility where I primarily pulled from had its kennels EMPTIED December 23rd by rescue pulls. Never seen that happen in all my years, but it did this year!

12. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

Do all dogs have to be microchipped in the US?

13. JaneEyre

No.

14. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

They do where I live and it we have hardly any strays, or they are not strays for long.

15. JaneEyre

I know of one county in Kentucky that requires that any dog adopted in Fayette must be microchipped.

It's become standard practice for most US rescues and many animal control agencies to microchip prior to adoption, though. Breeders, however, seem to be slower to catch on. It would hold them more accountable, though, for their bad matches and poorly bred dogs that could be tracked back to them when it goes wrong (and perhaps that's why it's not standard with them).

If one of our previously adopted dogs or cats gets lost and the owner cannot be reached, we get a call as the organization that chipped them. That helps me rest easy, as it is less likely that anything I've rescued would end up euthanized in a shelter for any reason.

16. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

Dogs and cats that are sold, either from a breeder or a pet shop are not allowed to sold without a microchip. It works very well with dogs, but kittens who are just given away, not so well. Once an animal has been in a shelter, they are not allowed to be adopted until they have been desexed and microchipped, if they haven't already.
    We do have a few pitbulls, but they are, as of fifteen years ago, not allowed to be imported. The small residual breeding pool of them, must be kept under strict regulations and registered as restricted breeds.also have to have a breeders licence to breed them, the person who buys them, has to be approved and if not a registered breeder has to have them desexed within 28 days of ownership.

17. JaneEyre

Is this Canada? This is smart. We need more breeder regulations and spay/neuter control here. Most of our shelters, except some back woods ones, alter all animals prior to adoption.

18. rsd1200

No, this is on our FB County Shelter site, listed under Adoptable. The put Foster Needed when that's what they are seeking or Foster Placement Only.

19. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Former Member

Australia. We have many unique wildlife species (especially Koalas) who have no defence mechanisms against imported predators. Our cats are not allowed out at night. Of course some irresponsible people do let their cats out, but most don't.

20. JaneEyre

I'm impressed.