VA - Bijan Ghaisar, 25, fatally shot by US Park Police, video, GW Memorial Pkwy, Nov 2017 *Indicted*

Hraefn

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ose-range-killing-him/?utm_term=.3f5b32ba1742

Video shows Park Police fired nine shots into Bijan Ghaisar’s Jeep at close range, killing him

In the moments before he was shot, there also does not appear to be any interaction with or provocation by Ghaisar, whose window remained closed. His Jeep began to move slowly forward again after stopping, the video shows, sparking the first set of five shots. When the Jeep drifted forward four seconds later, the officers fired two more times at close range. When it drifted again 11 seconds later, the officers fired a final two shots, the video shows.

The five-minute video marks a crucial turning point in the investigation of the deadly shooting, and the bold decision to release it was made by Fairfax County police Chief Edwin C. Roessler Jr. The Fairfax department was not involved in the shooting and is not involved in the investigation, but one of its officers trailing the pursuit captured the incident on his in-car video camera. The FBI is investigating the shooting, has released no information about the case and given no indication that they would do so anytime soon.
Ghaisar’s lawyers said medical records now show he was shot four times in the head, not three as previously reported, and once in the wrist. The lawyers said he was unarmed, and the video does not indicate he wielded a weapon. The video shows the officers were not in any apparent danger of being struck when the Jeep moved forward. Ghaisar died 10 days later.
The incident began with a fender bender in Alexandria City which apparently happened at about 7:27 p.m. that Friday, according to Arlington communications officials who received the first 911 call. Arlington declined to release a recording of the call, and its call-takers likely forwarded it to the Park Police who have jurisdiction over the George Washington Parkway.

The rear-end collision happened on the southbound parkway south of Marina Drive, according to a Park Police crash report obtained by The Washington Post. A male Uber driver with a female passenger reported they were driving behind Ghaisar’s green Grand Cherokee when it suddenly stopped in the left lane, and the Uber driver’s Toyota Corolla struck the rear of the Cherokee, the report stated.
No one knows why Ghaisar, who had no criminal record and only minor traffic tickets, would elude the police twice.
The Virginia medical examiner’s office declined to release a cause and manner of Ghaisar’s death. A spokeswoman said the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington had made a written request to withhold the release of the information because of a pending investigation.
imrs.jpg

bijan_ghaisar_vigil_1512705769931_4622278_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-ne...ant-from-mclean-shot-killed-by-us-park-police
Remembering Bijan Ghaisar: Vigil held for McLean accountant shot, killed by US Park Police
“I feel him hugging me when I look up at the sky,” said Negeen Ghaisar, Bijan Ghaisar's sister. “And if you knew Bij, you know he gave the best hugs. He was everything to so many people. He was so full of life. We used to joke that he actually swallowed a microphone when he was younger. He was passionate about everything. He was caring. He was kind. He was so fun. He loved to debate.”

“My heart is in anger,” expressed a woman as she spoke to Bijan Ghaisar during the vigil. “I don’t know how to fade it away. But I promise I will make it go away. For you my Bijan, I will work hard to put my anger away because you are full of love and forgiveness. That is your way. The memories I have with you will always follow me on my way. This I can promise. No one can take them away.”

I don't understand why BG didn't stop, that's all he had to do?????

Trial Set For Park Police Accused Of Fatal Virginia Driver Shooting| DCist

Ghaisar of McLean, Va. was 25 years old when U.S. Park Police chased him and fatally shot him in November 2017. His parents filed a $25 million federal civil lawsuit last year against the United States, saying Ghaisar was the victim of excessive force. Following an FBI investigation, federal prosecutors did not bring criminal charges against Park Police officers Lucas Vinyard and Alejandro Amaya, who allegedly shot Ghaisar.

In a motion to delay the federal civil suit, the government wrote, “The United States is therefore now faced with defending this case at trial without the testimony of its two key witnesses and respectfully requests a stay of proceedings until the Commonwealth’s Attorney makes a decision on criminal charges.”

Antonio Peronace, Descano’s chief of staff, said the Fairfax investigation continued during the pandemic, but he did not know when it would conclude.

Attorney Roy Austin represents James and Kelara Ghaisar, the parents of the slain Virginia driver, and accused the government of dragging its feet.

“The federal government should be embarrassed that they are continuing to delay any opportunity for justice,” Austin said.

U.S. District Judge Claude M. Hilton set Aug. 28 as the date to hear arguments for delaying the trial.

Trial Set For Park Police Accused Of Fatal Virginia Driver Shooting| DCist

Ghaisar of McLean, Va. was 25 years old when U.S. Park Police chased him and fatally shot him in November 2017. His parents filed a $25 million federal civil lawsuit last year against the United States, saying Ghaisar was the victim of excessive force. Following an FBI investigation, federal prosecutors did not bring criminal charges against Park Police officers Lucas Vinyard and Alejandro Amaya, who allegedly shot Ghaisar.

In a motion to delay the federal civil suit, the government wrote, “The United States is therefore now faced with defending this case at trial without the testimony of its two key witnesses and respectfully requests a stay of proceedings until the Commonwealth’s Attorney makes a decision on criminal charges.”

Antonio Peronace, Descano’s chief of staff, said the Fairfax investigation continued during the pandemic, but he did not know when it would conclude.

Attorney Roy Austin represents James and Kelara Ghaisar, the parents of the slain Virginia driver, and accused the government of dragging its feet.

“The federal government should be embarrassed that they are continuing to delay any opportunity for justice,” Austin said.

U.S. District Judge Claude M. Hilton set Aug. 28 as the date to hear arguments for delaying the trial.

Your title made it sound like policemen were going to trial which is not the case.

Your title made it sound like policemen were going to trial which is not the case.

The parents of Bijan Ghaisar filed a federal lawsuit last year, naming the United States of America as defendant for the shooting death of their son.

Ghaisar, 25, of McLean, died after he was shot multiple times by two Park Police officers, Lucas Vinyard and Alejandro Amaya, at the conclusion of a stop-and-go chase on the George Washington Memorial Parkway in November 2017. Ghaisar was unarmed, and his family says the officers were guilty of excessive force. Federal prosecutors declined to bring criminal charges against the officers, but a local prosecutor in Fairfax County says he is conducting a criminal investigation.

Trial set in civil suit over 2017 Park Police shooting

It is the Fairfax County criminal investigation that necessitates a delay in the civil trial, lawyers for the federal government say. In a motion filed Wednesday, the government lawyers say they cannot mount a credible defense while the two officers are invoking their Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate themselves.

The Ghaisar family’s lawyers are opposing any delay. A hearing on whether to delay the trial is scheduled for Aug. 28.

U.S. Senior Judge Claude Hilton ruled that the civil trial will go forward as scheduled in November. Lawyers for the federal government, which is the defendant in the case, say they can’t build a proper defense because the two officers who shot 25-year-old Bijan Ghaisar are invoking their Fifth Amendment rights and refusing to discuss their rationale for opening fire.

Judge rejects effort to delay trial in Park Police shooting | WTOP

US Park Police officers indicted in shooting of Bijan Ghaisar

U.S. Park Police officers Alejandro Amaya and Lucas Vinyard were indicted separately. Each faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and reckless discharge of a firearm.

The indictments come after federal prosecutors declined to pursue charges against the officers after a nearly two-year investigation. Descano said his office was forced to rely on evidence collected by the Fairfax County Police Department after the Justice Department refused to cooperate or produce witnesses.

He said he anticipates motions by the Justice Department to move the case to federal court within 30 days. Federal prosecutors most likely will motion to dismiss the case on the grounds of the Constitution supremacy clause, which says federal law takes precedence over state laws.

Federal officers seek to block shooting trial in state court

the officers are seeking to have the case removed from state jurisdiction, citing their status as federal officers.

Descano and Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring filed joint briefs arguing that the local prosecution should be allowed to proceed.

After months of inaction, a hearing is scheduled for Friday morning in U.S. District Court in Alexandria in front of Judge Claude Hilton.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back