GUILTY VA - Codi Bigsby, 4, last seen at dad's home, Hampton, 31 Jan 2022 *dad charged* #2

JAN 7, 2023
www.wtkr.com

'This is unbelievable,' Emotions high as community searches for Codi Bigsby

[...]

Emotions were high as the organizations of "Six Women and a Notebook", "United We Stand", and "Building Back Black" came together with locals of the area to leave New Year's gifts at the Codi Fence search around Buckroe Pointe Apartments and other areas nearby.

"No matter where he's at, I'm praying to God that he's alive. But if not, I would like to be able to find Codi so we can give him a proper place to rest because he deserves it," said Nancy Strickland, Founder and President of Six Women & A Notebook.

[...]
Nancy Strickland is amazing she's at every court date she and a few others are keeping Codis name out there along with the water team, it's to bad that Codi's family won't do that. Just wish they could find this little guy and hope one day Cory faces charges about Codi jmoo

it appears Cory's hrg today regarding his mental examination has been continued until 3/31/23
9 01/27/2023 9:00AM Mental Examination 2 Continued
10 03/31/2023 9:00AM Mental Examination

sigh
Virginia Court Case Information
Thanks tlcya . Ughhhhhh another mental health eval the court approved says he's ok the defence dr says he's not fit now another eval . Just playing the system and dragging it out sighhhh. I don't give a rats butt about Cory jmoo I just want to know #WheresCodi and when is Cory going to get charged for Codi's disappearence my very honest opinion Judge orders second mental examination for Cory Bigsby

Thanks tlcya . Ughhhhhh another mental health eval the court approved says he's ok the defence dr says he's not fit now another eval . Just playing the system and dragging it out sighhhh. I don't give a rats butt about Cory jmoo I just want to know #WheresCodi and when is Cory going to get charged for Codi's disappearence my very honest opinion Judge orders second mental examination for Cory Bigsby
Me too, Corrupted. Me too!

Noting from your link:

13News Now got a look at the court appointed doctor’s assessment.

In the documents, the doctor writes Bigsby understands the possible consequences of his charges and how the judicial system works. The paperwork said Bigsby has refused medical treatment at Hampton Roads Regional Jail. The assement said mental health staff say Bigsby has reported hearing voices, has made references to seeing children tapping on the windows of the jail and said there is a machine in his head telling him to do crazy things.

However, the documents said when the doctor interviewed Bigsby in January, he denied having those experiences and said he’s never received psychiatric treatment in his life saying, “There’s nothing wrong with me. I don’t need those services.”'

JAN 27, 2023

Judge orders another mental health evaluation in Cory Bigsby case

[...]

Brown began Friday’s hearing by asking Hawks to set a hearing date on Griffin’s and Williams’ conclusions on competency — to decide which report the judge finds more credible.

But the case’s prosecutor, Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney Anton Bell, pointed out that Williams was no longer on a list of state doctors approved by the Department of Behavioral Health to render an opinion.

Brown said Williams had voluntarily gotten off the state list a couple of years ago, but Hawks said that means he can’t give full weight to Williams’ opinion. Hawks asked Brown if he wanted a second state-approved psychologist to evaluate Bigsby.

The judge cleared the courtroom to allow Brown to talk to Bigsby, who was connected to the courtroom remotely from the Hampton Roads Regional Jail. When they came back, Brown asked Hawks to appoint another doctor.

[...]

If that clinician agrees with Griffin that Bigsby is competent, then the case can simply move forward to the trial stage. But if Zwemer finds Bigsby is not competent, then Hawks must hold another hearing to determine which doctor’s conclusion he finds more credible.

A judicial determination that Bigsby is incompetent would mean he would undergo a mental health process to “restore him to competency” before the charges can move forward.

[...]

And then there's this... Ugh. :(

Judge orders second competency exam for Cory Bigsby

Matheny-Willard told the judge she will file a motion to dismiss the evaluation’s findings if Bigsby is found competent. She said the defense team plans to file a motion to dismiss if the new evaluation finds him competent. She said they only pursued the the exams because of information submitted by prosecutors on the eve of the initial trial date.

The assement said mental health staff say Bigsby has reported hearing voices, has made references to seeing children tapping on the windows of the jail and said there is a machine in his head telling him to do crazy things.
SBM&BFF

That would be the ghost of Codi. Guilt can do strange things.

I know if someone murdered me I'd be back to haunt them till they went out of their mind! Don't think I wouldn't! LOL

JAN 30

HAMPTON, Va. — Tuesday marks a year since Codi Bigsby, of Hampton, was reported missing.

Monday night, the community came together to hold a vigil in Codi's honor. Nancy Strickland, a search volunteer and organizer of the vigil, said she is hopeful Codi is still alive.

JAN 30

HAMPTON, Va. — Tuesday marks a year since Codi Bigsby, of Hampton, was reported missing.

Monday night, the community came together to hold a vigil in Codi's honor. Nancy Strickland, a search volunteer and organizer of the vigil, said she is hopeful Codi is still alive.

I admire what Nancy is doing , I wish more of our missing had people like her keeping it out there being at every court being that little man's voice when his own family won't. Jmoo where's Codi

And then there's this... Ugh. :(

Judge orders second competency exam for Cory Bigsby

Matheny-Willard told the judge she will file a motion to dismiss the evaluation’s findings if Bigsby is found competent. She said the defense team plans to file a motion to dismiss if the new evaluation finds him competent. She said they only pursued the the exams because of information submitted by prosecutors on the eve of the initial trial date.
That lawyer gets on my last nerve She reminds me of Norm Pattis.I thought she had handed it down to someone in her office ,she just seems to pop up when she thinks it's news worthy. Between this guy and Leticia with their multiple psych evaluations, they're just wasting time and money they need to just get this done so they can settle into their new homes and lives. Just wish Cory would answer one question Where's Codi ? That's all jmvho

JAN 30, 2023

'We are not going to give up': Vigil honors Codi Bigsby as search continues 1 year after disappearance

"Lord, wherever this child may be, please watch over him. Continue to let him know we love him and care for him and that we're not stopping," one person said during a prayer.

Where is Codi? One year anniversary of missing Hampton toddler

“Through the investigative process, we’ve encountered a number of things that make us think at this point, very unlikely that Codi Bigsby is alive. But also, being alive leaves traces on the world. He isn’t available. We can’t see him. We haven’t heard from him. There’s no evidence anyone has spoken to him on the phone or has seen him on video, haven’t seen a photo of him. If he were alive, I think we would know it. If there’s no evidence of a human being, especially under these circumstances if he can’t care for himself, he would have to be in the care of somebody else. There’s no evidence of that. There never was from the very start,” explained Talbot.

Community groups honor Codi Bigsby, one year after his disappearance

“I can truly love someone that I have never met,” said community organizer Nancy Strikland.

Community holds vigil one year after Codi Bigsby first reported missing

Stuffed animals, signs painted in blue and red and images of Spiderman, Codi’s favorite character, line the chain link fence next to Buckroe Pointe Apartments where Codi was last seen alive.

Blue and white tea lights illuminated the ground, spelling out “WE LOVE U CODI.”

“Let’s just light the sky up for Codi. Let’s bring Codi home,” Strickland said.

A group of complete strangers brought together with one common goal – bring Codi home.

“We’ll never stop until he’s brought home. I pray, I pray every night that we bring him home alive,” Strickland said.

JAN 30, 2023

'We are not going to give up': Vigil honors Codi Bigsby as search continues 1 year after disappearance

"Lord, wherever this child may be, please watch over him. Continue to let him know we love him and care for him and that we're not stopping," one person said during a prayer.

Where is Codi? One year anniversary of missing Hampton toddler

“Through the investigative process, we’ve encountered a number of things that make us think at this point, very unlikely that Codi Bigsby is alive. But also, being alive leaves traces on the world. He isn’t available. We can’t see him. We haven’t heard from him. There’s no evidence anyone has spoken to him on the phone or has seen him on video, haven’t seen a photo of him. If he were alive, I think we would know it. If there’s no evidence of a human being, especially under these circumstances if he can’t care for himself, he would have to be in the care of somebody else. There’s no evidence of that. There never was from the very start,” explained Talbot.

Community groups honor Codi Bigsby, one year after his disappearance

“I can truly love someone that I have never met,” said community organizer Nancy Strikland.

Community holds vigil one year after Codi Bigsby first reported missing

Stuffed animals, signs painted in blue and red and images of Spiderman, Codi’s favorite character, line the chain link fence next to Buckroe Pointe Apartments where Codi was last seen alive.

Blue and white tea lights illuminated the ground, spelling out “WE LOVE U CODI.”

“Let’s just light the sky up for Codi. Let’s bring Codi home,” Strickland said.

A group of complete strangers brought together with one common goal – bring Codi home.

“We’ll never stop until he’s brought home. I pray, I pray every night that we bring him home alive,” Strickland said.
“We become intimately familiar with how he lived his life, we become intimately familiar with the trauma he experienced while he was living. The kind of deprivation he experienced in his short life. We learn those things through the course of the investigation process, it’s deeply traumatic,” stated Talbot. That from the link bothers me it seems like Codi's siblings have said things. It's just so sad. I hope Codi's siblings are in loving compassionate homes living their best lives aftér all this trauma. I hope one day they can press charges about Codi. Maybe Cory wouldn't hear kids tapping on the window if he told where Codi is so he can be laid to rest moo

JAN 31, 2023
www.13newsnow.com

Codi Bigsby one year later: Hampton Police Chief talks about case of missing child

“What I can share is that a number of things have come up since Codi Bigsby was first reported missing that we haven’t been able to make public,” Chief Talbot said. “A number of things have come up that had us excited about the possibility of figuring out what happened. And none of those things have panned out so far. So, it tends to happen unexpectedly as we got a call a week or so ago of something that came up in the community. Which is an indication that it is still an active case. People are interested in it, every once in a while we are out there looking at something.”

It’s been a year since Codi Bigsby went missing. We’re still learning new details.

An aunt told investigators she talked to Codi by phone about 13 months before he went missing — on either Thanksgiving or Christmas in 2020, according to two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the case.

As far as investigators can tell, that’s the last time anyone aside from the father talked to Codi.

Neighbors have said Codi and his three brothers — a now-6-year-old and twin 3-year-olds — hardly left the house. The children weren’t going to school and didn’t have any babysitters.

Two law enforcement sources said the boy’s mother, who lives in the Washington, D.C., area, wasn’t much involved in his life. Nor were other family members.

Memorial Candles GIF - Memorial Candles Candle GIFs

Codi Bigsby – The Charley Project

bigsby_codi.jpg
bigsby_codi4.jpg
bigsby_codi5.jpg
bigsby_codi6.jpg
bigsby_codi7.jpg

• Missing Since 01/31/2022
  • Missing From Hampton, Virginia
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race Black
  • Date of Birth 01/12/2018 (5)
  • Age 4 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'0, 60 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black bomber jacket, black sweatpants and Spider-Man flip-flops.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance​

Codi was last seen asleep at the Buckroe Pointe town homes in the 100 block of Ranalet Drive in Hampton, Virginia at 2:00 a.m. on January 31, 2022. He lived with his father and three brothers, a five-year-old and two-year-old twins. His father, Cory Bigsby, said he woke up to find his son missing. He notified police at 9:00 a.m. that same day.

A photo of Cory is posted with this case summary. In addition to his four children who lived with him on Ranalet Drive, he and his estranged wife have multiple older children living in the local area. Codi disappeared the same day the family was supposed to move to a new house.

Authorities were immediately suspicious of Cory's story and believed Codi may not have disappeared at the time that his father claimed. On February 3, Cory was arrested for seven counts of felony child neglect. He admitted to leaving his children home alone on several occasions in December 2021 and January 2022 for hours at a time, with no way to contact him or emergency services. He said he did this because the children were "too much of a handful" and it didn't occur to him to get a babysitter.

In July 2022, Cory was indicted for a further 23 charges: four counts of child abuse, two counts of child neglect in connection with the child abuse counts, fifteen counts of child neglect for leaving the children home alone, and two counts of child neglect for failure to secure medical attention for an injured child. None of the charges are connected to Codi's actual disappearance, only to Cory's alleged actions in the year prior to his son's disappearance.

Cory is awaiting trial on these charges. If convicted, he could face a maximum term of 162 years in prison. He is the main person of interest in his son's disappearance; investigators stated his account of his son's disappearance did not match the evidence. His attorneys have claimed Cory was mistreated by the police and called the case a "modern-day lynching."

Cory was questioned between 9:30 p.m. on January 31 to 4:45 a.m. the next day, then he was taken to another room and isolated for eight hours. More than twenty times during the interview he said he was tired and wanted to go home, but he was told "going home is not an option" even though he was not under arrest at the time. Authorities also admitted that Cory had invoked his right to legal representation during the interview, twice, and that this was ignored. The detective was removed from the case and put on paid administrative leave as a result of the mishandled interrogation, and another detective was assigned to the case.

It may be worth noting that there is a documented history of domestic violence between Cory and Codi's mother. He was charged with assaulting her in 2018 after she told police he had choked her, bitten her and threatened to kill her. The charges were dropped after Codi's mother stopped cooperating with the investigation and failed to appear for multiple court dates.

No charges have been filed against anyone in Codi's disappearance, but police stated they believe they know what happened to him. His siblings whom he lived with are now in foster care. His mother, who lives in the Washington D.C. area, was investigated and ruled out as a suspect in his case.

Codi's case remains unsolved.

Last updated January 31, 2023; casefile added.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back