VA - Crissmis Reese Jones, 5 days, beaten to death, Centreville, 4 Jan 2006

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A grandmother has been charged in the death of her 6-day-old granddaughter.

The baby girl, Crissmis Noelle Reese Jones, died in early January. The grandmother, Heather Thomas, 38, of Centreville, has been charged with manslaughter in the case.

An investigation determined that the baby died of head trauma due to shaken baby syndrome.
http://www.nbc4.com/news/6063399/detail.html

:banghead: :mad: :behindbar That poor baby. 5 days old. Never even had a chance.

WARNING! LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF CRISSMIS' INJURIES.
By Bonnie Hobbs
Thursday, December 20, 2007

If she'd lived, Crissmis Noelle Reese Jones would be enjoying all the Christmas lights and looking forward to celebrating her second birthday on Dec. 30.

But she was never given the chance. Instead, as a newborn infant, she was beaten so brutally inside her Centreville home that she died at just five days old. And last Friday in Fairfax County Circuit Court, her 40-year-old grandmother, Heather Tracie Thomas, was sentenced to three years in prison for the crime.

snip

State sentencing guidelines called for zero to six months in jail. But, stressing the severity of the injuries inflicted on Crissmis, Pavluchuk said this offense "warrants not probation, but a loss of liberty; significant incarceration is appropriate."

snip

THOMAS entered an Alford plea, not admitting guilt, but acknowledging the existence of enough evidence to find her guilty. Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Camille Turner said Thomas told Det. John Wallace that, the night of Jan. 3, 2006, she had six to eight shots of bourbon and rum."

"At 4 a.m., the baby was crying, and [Thomas] said she fed Crissmis and put her back in her crib," continued Turner. "When the baby cried again [after a short while], the defendant demonstrated to police on a stuffed animal how she shook Crissmis for about 20 seconds."

snip

But defense attorney Michael Arif said the child's mother, Samantha Jones, gave him a written statement, a year later, in which she admitted waking, Jan. 4, 2006, around 1 or 2 a.m., while Thomas slept, and bringing Crissmis into her own bed for some "mom-and-baby time."

But Jones fell asleep and woke up atop the infant. Said Arif: "She was scared because the baby wasn't responding ... so she shook her forcefully because she was frightened." When Crissmis suddenly opened her eyes, Jones placed her back into the crib and, not telling anyone what happened, raced back to bed and pulled the covers over her head.

snip

But Thacher, saddened, disgusted and angry at what happened to the infant, would have none of it. "I understand you entered an Alford plea, but I reject it out-of-hand," he told Thomas. "This wasn't a shaken-baby case — this was about a 5-day-old child who had 26 trauma sites to her body and four subdural hematomas to her skull."

THACHER painstakingly listed, one by one, each and every injury the newborn had sustained (......)

snip

Thacher told Thomas: "You've pleaded guilty and, if ever a case called for deviation from the guidelines, this is it." He then sentenced her to 10 years in prison, suspending seven, and placing her on four years active probation upon her release.

BBM - Much more at link:
http://connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=314143&paper=62&cat=104

Heather Thomas

Housed: Virginia Correctional Center for Women
Projected Release Date: 11/29/2010

What is wrong with this world?

I swear that every single time I read one of these stories, I think "That SOB will surely get LWOP!" Then I read on to see that they MAYBE get a few years... Most not even that much.

It makes me ill that people are getting more time for not paying child support than they are for murdering babies. How does any of that make sense???

JMO but the laws need to be changed.

State sentencing guidelines called for zero to six months in jail. But, stressing the severity of the injuries inflicted on Crissmis, Pavluchuk said this offense "warrants not probation, but a loss of liberty; significant incarceration is appropriate."

3 years for brutally killing a baby? 15 years for selling some pills (Cummings case). Please help me understand....

Mel

That Heather Thomas you see on the Department of Corrections website is Heather Renee Thomas. The woman who killed Crissmis is Heather Tracie Thomas. She was released April 5 of this year. She served less then 3 years. And she has 4 years of active probation. She also had a baby right before she went in. A girl. And her daughter had another child while granny was locked up. A son. And the son, about 2, lives with them in their house. All of them, one big, happy, child killing family. And no one in any form of law enforcement cares that there is a toddler there.
As for Heather's young daughter, last I heard she was in Ky with her husbands family. She might be back here by now. She's about 3.
Please God, just watch over these children.

wait, the guidline for murdering a 5 day old baby is zero to 6 months?

yeah our justice system rocks!

The killing will never stop until its the death sentence for those murdering children!!!!

wait, the guidline for murdering a 5 day old baby is zero to 6 months?

yeah our justice system rocks!

Under Connors Law, a fetus is a person with more rights to justice than a born child. YIKES!!

Under Connors Law, a fetus is a person with more rights to justice than a born child. YIKES!!

:waitasec: trying not to show my pro life stance but since when? and why does a born baby have less? :waitasec:

i need a vacation :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back