VA VA - Elizabeth Ellen Palmer, 20, Roanoke, 25 July 1972

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by MadMcGoo, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Beekarina

Beekarina Well-Known Member

I just looked at the Facebook site for Elizabeth and noticed someone there also suggested watching older documentaries about Children of God in hopes of spotting Elizabeth.

They included a link. I might watch. Sorting through the images on Flickr was not unpleasant. Most of the people look very happy and healthy. Almost like vintage album covers, or ads for hippie food coops.I had to remind myself I was looking at a cult, and not something wholesome and fun. Everyone looked so vibrant. I can sort of see how people got sucked in.

I know the documentaries will be something else entirely though...

2. MT7060

MT7060 M.G.T

What site?

Simply Southern likes this.
  3. Beekarina

I just read something interesting on the xfamily site history section:

"
    Homegoing II
    By 1979, all members, with the exception of World Services (WS) personnel and a small group of select leadership, had been told to return home to their parents, and announce that the group had disbanded. They were advised to take on jobs, look respectable, and "invade the system," and even "invade the churches." During their furlough, they were expected to stay in touch through the mail, by leaving their contact addresses.... "

So....If EEP was with the COG, and alive, unless she was "world services", theoretically, she should have returned home in, or around 1979.......

4. Beekarina

From same:

"
    Going Underground
    In the wake of negative media attention and law enforcement investigations into the group's prostitution activities, Berg advised his followers to go underground:

"it means you have to go underground... close it up and go some place else and open a totally new underground unknown selah [secret] Home that they don't know anything about, and get jobs and go to work to support yourselves in order to survive." ("Where to Now?--NRS 3" ML 749, Dec.14, 1978)

Dive underground totally out of the picture into some unknown place & destroy or carry with you any high-security materials, such as mailing lists, files, financial records, etc. Grab'm & run for the nearest hide out!" ("Going Underground!--NRS 4", Letter 750, paras.47,48; December 14, 1978)

"There's only one way to get them off your back, & that's just to make it impossible for them to find you." ("Why the Family?--NRS 5", ML 752, Dec.1978)

"Once this storm is over & the heat's off & the persecution dies down &/or disappears, the public quickly forgets & maybe you can return to the streets again." ("The IRF!--NRS 7", ML 757, Jan.1979)

5. Tburns18

Tburns18 Member

She was extremely close to her father. She loved both parents a lot, but was way closer to her father.

6. MT7060

MT7060 M.G.T

That is Richmond. She left from Roanoke

Beekarina, Gardener1850 and MadMcGoo like this.
  7. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Someone Somewhere knows Something

From the Archives: Flooding from Hurricane Agnes, June 1972

Very intriguing posts on that page! I think if there’s a connection to the COG, that site and others like it could be the place to find people who may have been traveling with Elizabeth. JMO

8. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Remembering Cupcake

Well I have found where I saw random Capital letters in the middle of words before. Unfortunately it does not help and I don't think there is any connection to Elizabeth's case. It was in the case of the unidentified deceased women calling herself Lori Erica Kennedy (a fake name) who died in 2010 and was eventually identified as Kimberly McLean, a teen who ran away from Pennsylvania in 1986.
    Her wikipedia for those not familiar with that case: Lori Erica Ruff - Wikipedia

Lori/Kimberly had in her possession a page of random notes that had some letter capitalization in the middle of some words. I had theorized in that case that those words on the page might not be her writing because another document she was known to have written did not have any random letter capitalization:
    TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

That is a very complex case and it's still a mystery what exactly she did in the years immediately after she left home in 1986 (other than get a fake ID). The only real parallel to Elizabeth's case is that many speculated in that case that she might have gotten involved in a cult, and perhaps she was hiding from anyone who might come find her and harm her for leaving the group (she was very paranoid and secretive towards the end of her life). We also theorized she didn't contact her family due to threats made to harm them or because she was too afraid of being found by whomever she was hiding from.

Other than the fact that Lori/Kimberly committed suicide her case could offer a lot of hope that Elizabeth might be alive and living under an assumed name. That case was one of the first unidentified cases I followed here and it taught me how easy it was to get a fake ID in the 1980's and before. Elizabeth easily could have gotten a fake ID and then applied for a passport under her new name.

MOO.

9. MadMcGoo

Oh my! :eek: I had never heard of Lori/Kimberly’s case! Looks like something out of a movie. It’s hard to imagine how many people may very well have done the exact same thing...seems so easy to just pick up where someone else left off.

I’ve continued to search for letters, stamps, post marks, any examples of Mexican documents similar to those we’ve seen here... nothing substantial yet. I’m still curious about the name on the check receipt- “Mrs. Luisa Lora/Lara”.

10. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

11. Simply Southern

Welcome to Websleuths

@MT7060 and @Tburns18

Thanks for helping look for Elizabeth

12. Simply Southern

Hoping the family can locate the guy AND he is willing to share what he knows.

Got to be a memory he wants to forget.

Moo..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  13. Simply Southern

This would be a great source to post EPs storey.

Where she came from, interest in chemistry/medical, location in MX, Yonkers letters and S Africa. The most current picture.

I think @MadMcGoo, you found some really good ones. Wonder if they have any of her last trip home?

Someone may recognize her or her story.

14. Simply Southern

Yes, especially Puerto Rico.

They have a large University with a civil engineering program. Some names sound familiar.

Moo...

MimosaMornings and Beekarina like this.
  15. Beekarina

16. Beekarina

Also, maybe some of the organization's listed here might be able to offer suggestions to Elizabeth's family?

exFamily.org - Resources

Really a fascinating site @MadMcGoo

17. MadMcGoo

It’s my understanding that the photo of her with short hair, red shirt, holding her niece, was taken that summer. IIRC ;)

18. Simply Southern

I saw that one. Don't know if its the angle of photo or the aging over 2 years but her face appears wider, from cheek bone to cheek bone.

19. Tburns18

Tburns18 Member

It was, summer of 1972. I’m the niece I’m the picture and I was only 4-5 months old.

j_in_c, MT7060, MadMcGoo and 5 others like this.
  20. Simply Southern

Aw.... She spoke of you often in her letters. Now you are seeking to find her. Amazing :)

j_in_c, Luckyzmom, MT7060 and 5 others like this.