VA VA - Elizabeth Ellen Palmer, 20, Roanoke, 25 July 1972

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by MadMcGoo, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

They so not know her destination nor can they confirm she actually left from the airport. Airport records not available.

2/73 letter....,can't get a flight due to gas and small charters closing

4/74 ...,she definitely can't get home at the current time.

Great job and all the letters !!!! Thank you so much !!!

2. Beekarina

Beekarina Well-Known Member

The Twitter account is so much more detailed. Even the photo quality....

3. Simply Southern

Her father apparently contacted after hearing/reading about COG.

Also, many of the comments EP made were referenced in the teaching "letters" to the GOG followers.
    "The heart of man is the same all over the world" She speaks to this in early letters.

The Twitter account mentions COG several times. I reading over 100 pages last night and today about COG. I think the father contacted. Father also contacted Yonkers Police and they refused to take a report.

I wondering if she had contact with COG prior to,leaving for Mexico.

• They did have many buses, set up an east coast operation for recruitment.
    • Targeted college towns, students transitioning and college kids.

MadMcGoo, Gardener1850 and Betty P like this.
  4. Simply Southern

Yes, but please use @MadMcGoo timeline and it's much easier to read the letters she typed.

MadMcGoo, Bit of hope and Beekarina like this.
  5. Beekarina

Oh, I didn't mean it to read as against her!! I meant compared to Facebook and the info on the official kidding reports! Yikes! I commented right after clicking on it & see how it reads in order here...omg. So sorry!

6. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Remembering Cupcake

Wait, so her family involved the FBI back in 1972? That sounds very serious, like they thought she was kidnapped.

If she was with a secretive cult that was upset about FBI involvement I wonder if the cult might have made her change her name? Could they have gotten her a fake ID and passport in her new name and sent her to another country? It was much easier to do that back in the 70's.

Someone has set up a Children of God website with historic photos. It says they sent people to Africa between 1975 and 1978 and they have a photo of the first family sent to South Africa. I looked at that photo and thought that the woman looks like Elizabeth:
    The Children of God \\ Photos \ Children of God - Africa
    First names of the man and woman are given on that photo but I think those names are fake or adopted "spiritual names" or something like that. I have not been able to find any record of a couple with those first names living during that time period (or any time period after the 1970's). I was trying to find them thinking that even if that is not Elizabeth, that family might be able to tell if they ever knew her, if she ever went to South Africa, etc. We can't sleuth them here, of course, and hopefully I haven't crossed the line with this post... I'm not going post their first names or the photo even though I think they are fake names.

MOO.

7. Simply Southern

About Virginia Western.
    Founded 1966

Hollins College private
    Hollins University | Inspiring. Challenging. Distinctive

Roanoke College private, elite (all girls in 70s)
    Home | Roanoke College

VIrginia Tech, (30 min drive)
    Home

Her grades were good, athletic, tennis star.
    She could have easily gotten a scholarship to any of these schools. Maybe the family was paying for incidentals.

MadMcGoo likes this.
  8. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Yep, all fits with this case. There were so many of these groups around campus back then. They always targeted freshmen and sophomores who were naive, came from sheltered lives, not yet happy with going away to college, feeling uncomfortable, struggling with classes. COG sounds like it was much more sophisticated with large staff, buses, etc. They made their money from teaching cult members to panhandle and sell things, so being close to big metropolitan areas was beneficial.

It's a shame Yonkers police didn't respond, but they used to write off missing kids as runaways. I wonder if there area at least some notes from back then - records of phone calls they took w/ complaints from parents. Even if they didn't pursue these requests, they may have written down names and addresses of the cult leaders.

COG is still active, too, isn't it?

Simply Southern and MadMcGoo like this.
  9. Beekarina

Comparision. Hmmm....? Elizabeth holds her arm in an unusual way, and even seated, it looks as though the comparison may also?

Pics dbm, unsure of ok tos

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  10. Simply Southern

Oh, no....just trying to make it easier to follow. I knew what you meant I had to use the timeline to keep up. As I read the fathers letters, etc. I had the handy dandy time line.

Gardener1850 and Beekarina like this.
  11. Simply Southern

Great time, I will check out. Spent about 12 hours track about COG and several other cults.

Need to locate MM and VD. They were me mentioned by name in the letters. That's who she left with. Any suggestions...Google was not my friend on this.

Gardener1850, MadMcGoo and Beekarina like this.
  12. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Someone Somewhere knows Something

RBBM

South Africa, you mean? ;)

Thank you for the links on COG. I came across an article that mentioned a large commune about 70 miles from NYC, but I couldn’t find the article again. I did save a 3-page spread from the Newport News, Virginia “Daily Press”. ‘A Sower Went Forth’ - about a Virginian couple, Martha and Ralph Palmer who “went out in their camper to spread God’s message.” Interesting read. Coincidentally the names are familiar, although this was before Elizabeth’s disappearance. Before reading about these large religious sects, this is more like what I pictured her doing.

Attached Files:

13. Simply Southern

I'm thinking fake passport. One letter referenced a delay but it came through. Apparently she was waiting in New Orleans for the passport.

Not sure if they went by plane out of NO or but ship. New Orleans is a large port many ships in and out they may have gotten jobs as crew. It's also a large port for OIL, so I know they have shops heading to South Africa.

MadMcGoo and Gardener1850 like this.
  14. Simply Southern

Thanks working on fixing. Happy my friend is looking out for my poor autocorrect !!!

MadMcGoo and Bit of hope like this.
  15. Beekarina

I feel even more sad for Mr. Palmer now. Poor man. Imagine how he must have felt trying to prevent her disappearance, having her call home, and then going totally missing? Awful.

16. Simply Southern

Thanks, I fixed my post.

17. Simply Southern

I feel the last two letters for Yonkers were sent from Africa to Yonders and then sent to EPs,dad. He clearly was pulling all resources and the heat was on with FBI. Many parents were pressing the government to do something. I remember this time in my life, when Congressman really went to bat for you.

18. Simply Southern

This maybe a lead. She looks so much like the Aunt in this one. Its on the FB page....but I'll never figure out to move it over. Help!!!

Is this from our wonderful @Gardener1850 link?

19. Simply Southern

Yes, it's now Home

The Family International - TFI

MadMcGoo likes this.
  20. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Someone Somewhere knows Something

I need to type faster :D:p

I too thought contacting the FBI was serious. I can’t understand why her family went to such great lengths to locate her back in 71/72, yet we are only learning of her disappearance in October 2019. I do not mean any negativity when I say that. As we are all aware, especially in light of recently identified Jane/John Does, there are many explanations for that. It just seems a little different than cases such as Debra Jackson’s. JMOO.

Bit of hope likes this.