VA - Emma Compton Layne, 52, Cody, 17 June 2017

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Gardener1850, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

[h=1]Authorities continue to search for missing Cody woman[/h][​IMG]
    http://www.yourgv.com/news/breaking...cle_3941759c-56b6-11e7-8da8-275cdab5fd79.html

2. Loading...

3. LisaWL7TR

LisaWL7TR New Member

Deputies say Emma Compton Layne was last seen at the Cody Store, which she owns.

Family and friends tell us that Emma is a very loving and kind person.
    They are all very concerned about her because they say it's unlike her to disappear.

Layne's sister says she spoke with her Saturday about Sunday plans and no one has heard from her since.

The Halifax County Sheriff's Office says they haven't been able to find a trace of her.

"All of her vehicles are here. Her cell phone is here, and what we can tell, a lot of her personal belongings are still here," says Halifax County Sheriff's Office Major Tommy Spencer.

Because of that, the family is trying to remain positive in thinking she didn't leave with no intention of coming back.

"That's what I want to believe. That's what I want to believe. There's just so much evil in the world today that you don't, you don't know," says Childress.

The family just wants to know if she's safe.

The sheriff's office has been at Layne's home since Tuesday looking for anything that may lead them to her.

They have K9's and ground crews searching the area.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/S...sing-woman-from-Halifax-county-429921923.html

4. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

Looking at that on Google maps/streetview it's a pretty isolated spot. From reading cases on WS over the past couple of years, the disappearance of lone females from isolated stores or petrol stations does seem to be A Thing. Sadly this does look most likely to be an abduction to me.

5. Paddleboarder

Paddleboarder Former Member

6. FlossyMay

FlossyMay New Member

I looked the store up on google maps and it looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere. I hope this lady is okay.

7. sallye818

sallye818 New Member

8. sallye818

sallye818 New Member

Was any cash missing from the register drawer, I wonder. Or would they know if Emma owned the place and was there alone?

9. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl New Member

if her car was at home, how did she get to the store? And why was she there without her car and phone. And who saw her there?

10. carterkatt

carterkatt New Member

I wish we could get a family member, friend or co-worker to come on here to brainstorm with us.

11. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Well-Known Member

[h=1]UPDATE: Cody Store employees plea for missing owner to come home, investigation continues[/h]
    http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/S...sing-woman-from-Halifax-county-429921923.html

12. FlossyMay

FlossyMay New Member

So she disappeared from home? Do they think she just walked away? She couldn't really get too far without a vehicle or a phone. I wonder why they don't suspect foul play. I feel like there is more to this story.

13. sallye818

sallye818 New Member

Yep, there definitely does seem to be more than LE are sharing with the public.

14. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

Married? Separating or divorcing? Does she have kids?

15. missgulfsouth

missgulfsouth Inactive

I'm getting a domestic situation feel about this one. Will be following.

16. tarabull

tarabull Some humans are really bad at being human. ~Scott

17. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

Frustrating! There's just not enough facts to work here Coworkers, and sisters have spoken, anyone else? She's obviously been married at some point, as she has two last names. There's cameras at her store, but, police aren't saying if she's on camera, or not! States last seen at the store, but was she seen leaving? Was there anyone in the store with her? Was there anyone in the parking lot? How did she normally get to and from work? What does her phone show? If she was last seen at work, yet her phone, and personal belongings were at home..then how did the phone get to her home?
    I have no idea why I am also feeling domestic, significant other, someone close to her
    ... I wish I felt she left on her own...but even with so few facts, I'm just very uneasy about this!

18. carterkatt

carterkatt New Member

OT - I apologize..but 2Hope4 - do you work at the courthouse??
    TIA

19. missgulfsouth

missgulfsouth Inactive

I have the exact same questions and I don't work at a courthouse. Common questions when we feel it's a domestic situation. In other words, we need more information about her before we can really sleuth this case.

20. carterkatt

carterkatt New Member

I'm sorry - you have misunderstood me. When I said OT (off topic) and apologized - speaking to 2Hope4 - I wondered if she worked at the courthouse NOT anything to do with this case. Sorry I was unclear.

21. 2Hope4

2Hope4 Well-Known Member

No I don't. I did volunteer with therapy horses at one point in life. ;)